Welcome to the APBWeb.
    StanSwitek is offline Corporal

Sinn Fein Official-Turned Spy Shot Dead

Sinn Fein Official-Turned Spy Shot Dead

By SHAWN POGATCHNIK, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 18 minutes ago

DUBLIN, Ireland - A former senior official of Sinn Fein recently exposed as a British spy was found fatally shot in northwest Ireland, police said Tuesday. Denis Donaldson, Sinn Fein's former legislative chief in the failed power-sharing government of Northern Ireland, admitted in December he had been on the payroll of the British secret service and the province's anti-terrorist police for the previous two decades.
    ADVERTISEMENT
    click here

He then went into hiding because the traditional
    Irish Republican Army punishment for informing is death.

But Ireland's national police said it was not clear whether Donaldson, 55, had been killed or committed suicide. In a statement, the force said the scene around his body in Glenties, County Donegal, was cordoned off for a forensic examination planned for Wednesday.

Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern condemned what he called the "brutal murder" of Donaldson. The IRA said it was not involved in the death.

A Roman Catholic-Protestant power-sharing administration for Northern Ireland the central goal of the British province's 1998 peace accord fell apart in October 2002 because of an IRA spying scandal with Donaldson at its heart.

Donaldson, his nephew and a British civil servant all were charged with pilfering documents from inside the power-sharing government that identified potential targets of the outlawed IRA and detailed political opponents' private conversations. Protestants at the time accused the IRA of plotting a potential resumption of its violent campaign to oust Northern Ireland from the United Kingdom.

But British prosecutors mysteriously dropped all charges against the trio in early December. Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams initially defended Donaldson and the others but a week later announced that Donaldson had confessed, under questioning by Sinn Fein officials, to being a paid British spy. Within hours, Donaldson admitted this was so in an interview with RTE, the Irish state broadcasters.

The IRA last year declared it was renouncing violence for political purposes and backed the pledge by handing over its weapons stockpiles to disarmament chiefs. Both moves were supposed to spur a revival of power-sharing involving Sinn Fein, the IRA-linked party that represents most Catholics in Northern Ireland.

But Protestant leaders have refused to cooperate with Sinn Fein, citing the IRA's refusal to disband and its alleged involvement in a range of criminal activities.

If police determine that Donaldson was killed, it would be certain to fuel the hostility of the major Protestant party, the Democratic Unionists, to cooperating with Sinn Fein.

British Prime Minister
    Tony Blair and Ahern are expected Thursday to announce a new blueprint for reviving power-sharing. The joint governments' proposals, which have been 3 1/2 years of diplomacy in the making, recommend that Northern Ireland's legislature reconvene in May and face a Nov. 24 deadline to elect an administration jointly led by the Democratic Unionists and Sinn Fein.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    Nasty game to be playing..... One group's spy is another group's traitor.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Garda is offline Policing with nothing but a smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Switek
    The IRA said it was not involved in the death.
    Course not. they were busy picking flowers and the Brits killed him so the peace process would fail because the Brits love having to run around cleaning up after the dozen various terrorists and want to keep the North forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Switek
    But Protestant leaders have refused to cooperate with Sinn Fein, citing the IRA's refusal to disband and its alleged involvement in a range of criminal activities.
    I have to say that this is actually unfair. They are murdering scum but wheres the other groups guns? Why does only the IRA have to disband?
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Hey thanks Garda - I did think of you last night as I was lying in bed

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Garda

I have to say that this is actually unfair. They are murdering scum but wheres the other groups guns? Why does only the IRA have to disband?
    You have to understand that in this country, only the IRA is portrayed by the media as a terrorist organization.

They rarely, if ever publish or air any news regarding Protestant killings over here. It was a real eye opener to me when I spent a month in Ireland in 1998, just before the peace talks. People over here have no idea of the atrocities committed by the pro British faction.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Oh yeah I know that. The coverage is IRa fixated here as well but no-one seems too be asking the obvious question, why only them?

Honestly? because they are the only ones that are serious about peace. I know thats strange and its not for pure reasons, its financial, they want to get rich AND spend their money not die trying.

Its such a shame there isnt any PSNI officers here.

FishTail Guest
    Oh yeah I know that. The coverage is IRa fixated here as well but no-one seems too be asking the obvious question, why only them?
    Probably because the PIRA (Provisional IRA) was involved in most of the bombings on the British Mainland. Say "Irish terrorist group" to most British people outside Northern Ireland and they immediately think "IRA". Whether that's a chicken and egg type deal I'm not sure.

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    See if you all were free to have guns then there wouldnt be so many bombings. They could just shoot each other
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    Probably because the PIRA (Provisional IRA) was involved in most of the bombings on the British Mainland. Say "Irish terrorist group" to most British people outside Northern Ireland and they immediately think "IRA". Whether that's a chicken and egg type deal I'm not sure.
    My brother in law who was living in Dublin (no, he's not Irish, he set up and managed the HP plant there for the first few years of operation) told me that just before we arrived a Catholic cab driver a day was being killed in Belfast. It stopped only when the IRA threatened to start killing Protestant ministers in County Monaghan.

The whole thing is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    My brother in law who was living in Dublin (no, he's not Irish, he set up and managed the HP plant there for the first few years of operation) told me that just before we arrived a Catholic cab driver a day was being killed in Belfast. It stopped only when the IRA threatened to start killing Protestant ministers in County Monaghan.

The whole thing is nuts.
    No thats bullshit. Neither side was ever killing that frequently. I believe the total Republican number stands at 1700 over 30 years (500 police and army personell) and the Unionist side, not sure but its around 1000 I think.

there was periods where they became more frequent but it was usually 1 psycho (more than usual) going on a rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTail
    True but people involved need to be taking a better look at the picture, I mean the IRA were the first but theres the INLA and briefly the IPLO then also the Real IRA. On the Uniuonist side you have the UVF, LVF and UDA. Johnyy Adair is a clear example of these nutters.

Quote Originally Posted by wcso234
    See if you all were free to have guns then there wouldnt be so many bombings. They could just shoot each other
    Ah but I thought that didnt effect gun crime?????

Verified LEO
    No thats bullshit. Neither side was ever killing that frequently. I believe the total Republican number stands at 1700 over 30 years (500 police and army personell) and the Unionist side, not sure but its around 1000 I think.
    I don't know why he would lie about it. I don't know how long it was going on, might have been only a few days. Since he wasn't Irish, he was getting his info from the news, not rumors.

But this is not something I can argue about because you're there and I'm not. He's my brother in law and we ain't that tight, but he retired from HP as the number 4 or 5 person and not known to lie or exaggerate. In fact, my experience with him is that he's pretty cynical about what anyone tells him. As I said, he was there for several years setting up that plant and getting it going. He had no dog in that fight over there at all.
    Last edited by Retdetsgt; 04-05-06 at 02:50 PM.

brasco1033 is offline Rookie
    I served there for two years in the military and I can say that both sides are as bad as each other. Every soldier leaves the province wishing they could cast it adrift to be it's own little sland where they can't bother anyone else.

Still fighting battles from 400 years ago never makes sense and when you mix in the organised crime on both sides of the religious divide it's never going to go well.

Then you get foreigners joining in such as the Libyans who were equipping the IRA for a long time or other misguided souls. I was abused by priests, old ladies and members of the NYPD band when I was there. Filled your heart with pride.

Glad to be as far away as I possibly can be.
    Now this is the Law of the Jungle -- as old and as true as the sky;
    And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die.
    As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back --
    For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is thePack

Quote Originally Posted by brasco1033
    Every soldier leaves the province wishing they could cast it adrift to be it's own little sland where they can't bother anyone else.
    Interesting and your not the first too suggest this. Its been approached and ignored within political circles on more than 1 occasion but public opinion would not allow such a move.

Personally I agree with you and at this stage I think Northern Irelands problems need to be resolved by Northern Irish people. Not the Republic or mainland UK.

Retired,
    I wasnt suggesting he lied, merely that it was never as bad as people were making out. Perhaps he was refering to a specific week in which there was a huge amount of activity, who knows except him?

Thread Information