Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Dirk is offline Banned

Police in Philadelphia say a white officer who came to work with cornrows was ordered by a black superior to get a haircut

PHILADELPHIA Police in Philadelphia say a white officer who came to work with cornrows was ordered by a black superior to get a haircut because the braids violated department standards. The Philadelphia Daily News reported Monday that Officer Thomas Strain was put on desk duty this month because of the braids, even though the paper reported dozens of black officers wear cornrows.
    Police spokesman Lt. Frank Vanore says Strain's boss told the officer to cut his hair to look more "professional."
    Vanore says officers' hats must fit "in a military manner" over their hair, and that Strain's hat did not. Strain got a haircut; he declined comment to the paper.
    Vanore recalled only one black officer with braids in the past several years. He says that officer also was told to get a haircut.

pnasty0311 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Sounds like his practical joke came back to bite him in the ass.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Well I wonder if there are black officers with cornrows on duty with nothing being said, or if its like the spokesman said and there was only one, who was told the same as this guy. If the former is true, then the officer was discriminated against. But that the officer apparently complied and cut his hair seems to show he's not trying to prove a point about discrimination. Unless he originally did want to make a point, and then got too chicken to hold his ground. Then again, if the latter is true then this is a big story about nothing here. I have no problem with telling any cop with cornrows to change their hair or go home. It does look very unprofessional. Just be consistent with enforcement.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    White cop told cornrows break work rules, while dozens of black officers wear the hairstyle

A white Philadelphia cop who reported to work with his hair in cornrows was yanked off the street and ordered to get a new 'do.

Officer Thomas Strain was relegated to desk duty by a black superior this month, even though several black cops sport the same hair style, Philadelphia police sources said.

"If other ethnic groups are permitted to wear their hair in that manner, why are they singling out this one officer?" a fellow cop told the Daily News.

"It is ridiculous that we are wasting time and energy on this."

Police spokesman Lt. Frank Vanore said Strain's boss, identified as Inspector Aaron Horne, told the veteran officer to cut his hair to look more "professional."

Police policy requires officers to have "clean, properly trimmed and combed hair" that doesn't extend to their collar or cover their ears, Vanore said.

The policy prohibits radical hair colors but doesn't ban specific styles, such as cornrows, Mohawks or dreadlocks.

Vanore stressed that Strain, who has since cut his locks, was reprimanded because his hair was unruly - not because it was in cornrows.

But not all Philly cops bought that argument.

It's absolutely discriminatory," a fellow officer told the Philadelphia Daily News. "[Strain's hair] was neat. It was above his collar. It's not like he shaved a Nazi sign or something anti-black or anti-Hispanic on his head.

"It's just cornrows," the cop added. "I don't know what the problem is."

RECENT COMMENTS FROM DAILY NEWS READERS

White cop told cornrows break work rules, while dozens of black officers wear the hairstyle

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    sounds to me like he was proving a point...
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I bet you a cornrow haircut, he has had numerous calls from lawyers........
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I bet you a cornrow haircut, he has had numerous calls from lawyers........
    Be careful what you bet!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    That looks nasty... I don't understand why anyone would want a hairstyle like that, black or white. It reminds me of insect egg clusters.

It REALLY looks nasty when it's all greased up - And how often can you wash something like that?

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information