Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO

Chief of my old dept is in deep do do

I hate to see this, I've known him since he was first hired and as a young police officer. He's a good guy, excellent cop and has been a good chief.

Portland police chief accused of misconduct

06:10 PM PDT on Tuesday, April 4, 2006
    By TERESA BELL, kgw.com Staff

Portland’s police chief is accused of misconduct and an investigation has begun, the mayor’s office confirmed Tuesday.

Mayor Tom Potter would not elaborate on exactly what kind of misconduct claims were made against Chief Derrick Foxworth but a brief statement released by the chief himself revealed a name:

"Since I am the subject of a tort claim, I cannot comment on it or the allegations raised by Ms. Oswalt."

KGW has confirmed that 46-year-old Angela Oswalt, a desk clerk at the police bureau's St. John's Precinct since 1997, is the plaintiff who Foxworth refers to in his statement. Oswalt, who lives in Clackamas, is also currently a member of AFSCME Local 189, a government employee union. The union Web site lists her as a member of the executive board.

Two sources told KGW that the eight-page tort claim notice accuses Chief Foxworth of “sexual impropriety.”

Potter said he was told of the allegations on March 16 and ordered an investigation into the matter.

“I asked Ms. Deckard [City of Portland Human Resources director] to immediately undertake a thorough investigation to determine the merit of these allegations. The investigation has begun,” Potter's statement said.

The mayor added that city officials were not to discuss the matter, since it was a personnel issue and Foxworth would continue his duties as chief during the investigation.

Typically, tort claim notices outline details supporting allegations and serve as a warning that the alleged victim intends to sue.

Oswalt’s co-worker, Ray Jones said she had not confided in anyone at the St. John’s Precinct about her allegations and that she left work early Tuesday, citing union business.

Robert King, the president of the police union said he has a deep respect for Chief Foxworth and he stands behind him during this investigation.

“I understand that there are allegations and it’s unfortunate that there are times when personal matters spill over into our public lives. There is an investigation that’s going on and for us, the process is really important.”

"I was encouraged that he is remaining in his position as the investigation is progressing," King added. "I would ask everyone to withhold judgment until the investigation is complete."

Foxworth sworn in as chief in 2003

Foxworth was with the Portland Police Bureau for 22 years before then-Mayor Vera Katz appointed him as chief in 2003.

The second black man to lead Portland's police department, Foxworth took over during a period of turmoil for the city's police force, after an unarmed black woman was shot and killed during a traffic stop.

Before getting the top job, Foxworth served as a public information officer under Potter, who was the police chief at that time. Then, Foxworth later rose to the ranks of assistant chief under Mark Kroeker.

Potter graduated from the University of Portland and has lived in the city for nearly 50 years. He is married with two children, including a son who is also a Portland police officer.

Link
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    You might note that he is NOT saying they are doing this to him because he's Black. And I'm willing to bet a lot of money he never will!
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Thread Information