Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Deputy's Hand Severed by Axe Wielding Man

Axe-wielding man severs Clay County deputy's hand; limb reattached at UAB Hospital

By Kent Faulk -- The Birmingham News

September 27, 2009, 10:44AM

A Clay County deputy sheriff is recovering at UAB Hospital today with his right hand reattached after it was cut off by an axe-wielding man he was trying to arrest Friday night, a sheriff’s spokesman said Sunday. Deputies shot and killed the man after the attack.
    Deputies were trying to serve an arrest warrant on a man on Sawmill Road — off Alabama 79 near the intersection with Alabama 149 — when the incident took place between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. Friday, said Clay County Sheriff’s Capt. Steve Cotney. During the attempt to arrest the man, the man picked up a bush axe used for chopping down brush and started swinging it, he said.
    A deputy had his right hand severed, Cotney said. He was taken by helicopter to UAB Hospital, where his hand was reattached, he said.

Deputies shot the attacker, Cotney said. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, he said.
    The names of the injured deputy and the man who was shot and killed are not being released yet, Cotney said.
    Cotney said the injured deputy, who has been with the county department about three years, was in intensive care on Saturday and the reattached hand had good blood flow to it.

Axe-wielding man severs Clay County deputy's hand; limb reattached at UAB Hospital | Breaking News from The Birmingham News - al.com

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Hope the deputy recovers quickly.

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Unbelievable how someone could do that. Very disturbing.

Prayers the deputy can fully recover.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Cidp24 is online now Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    "Brush axe"... I wonder if that's the same thing as a kaiser blade?

Glad the deputy got his hand re-attached and I hope the healing goes well.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Prayers for the deputy's full and speedy recovery.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Pardon my ignorance but I had to google bush axe to find out what one was.

That is a formidable tool that deserves a lot of respect. That being said, who did the dead idiot think he was? Conan the Barbarian? FAIL!!! Never bring a blade of any sort to a gunfight. You WILL lose.

I hope the deputy will be able to get back the full use of his hand. Sounds like there might be a considerable amount of nerve damage, depending on how bad his hand was severed. I hope that this was not a career ending injury for the deputy and that he can get back to work.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    "Brush axe"... I wonder if that's the same thing as a kaiser blade?
    Similar. This is a Kaiser blade. I googled that one, too. Probably used for the same purpose.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Anybody with one of those things won't live long enough to get close enough to swing it at me. Hope the deputy is ok and gets the use of his hand back. Sounds like an aweful injury.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sugar cane country here. Our area's bladed weapon of choice.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    And here we go:

Update: Ax-wielding man who attacked Clay County deputy was a preacher | Breaking News from The Birmingham News - al.com

But the guy with the axe was preacher. Don't get me started.

Notice the name of the first person to comment.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    And here we go:

Update: Ax-wielding man who attacked Clay County deputy was a preacher | Breaking News from The Birmingham News - al.com

But the guy with the axe was preacher. Don't get me started.

Notice the name of the first person to comment.

Reps. Why did the article seem to me like a fluff piece and not a article on a man who cut a deputy's hand off?
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Glad to see you there TXCharlie. I wouldn't engage the loons though. You are wasting your time.

Thread Information