Welcome to the APBWeb.
    IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO

Airplane "Scare"

I got woken up with a text from Radar about this around lunchtime, telling me to turn on CNN cause of this plane they lost contact with around Muntucky and the fighter jets sent out to intercept it. By the time I got my ass out of bed and turned on the TV, they were reporting the plane had crashed in the farm field. It's too bad it wasn't a terrorist plot to destroy the city. hehehe

------------------------------------------------

BREAKING NEWS: Schools were on lockdown before the crash
    THE STAR PRESS September 30, 2009

Authorities are investigating the crash of a single engine plane in a cornfield along Ind. 28, just across the Randolph County line from Albany.

Indiana State Police Sgt. Rod Russell said it was believed that there was only one person, the pilot, on board the plane when it crashed at 12:45 p.m.

Although Russell could not say the nature of the injuries to the pilot, he did say they had called for the coroner's office to come to the scene.

Delaware County Sheriff George Sheridan said two witnesses to the crash ran at least a quarter-mile through the cornfield to reach the scene. They were not injured, but one was treated for exhaustion.

One of the witnesses, David Lykins, 54, Muncie, who was working on renovations at a nearby house, said the two briefly helped police search the site of the crash for a body in case the pilot had been thrown from the plane, but did not find anyone. The witness described the plane as so badly burned by that time that only the frame was left.

Police agencies were alerted after reports that a single engine plane was circling a wide radius of about 10 miles around Delaware County Airport.

The aircraft was intercepted by two F-16 fighters under the direction of NORAD. Those pilots determined that the pilot of the small plane was slumped over the controls, and estimated how much fuel might be left in the aircraft and how long it might remain in the air before crashing.

The plane, believed to be on auto-pilot, then crashed in a field at 9825 W. Ind. 28.

Emergency vehicles lined Ind. 28, which is closed to westbound traffic at the Randolph County town of Fairview.

The plane, a single engine Mooney aircraft, left Grand Rapids, Mich., flying to Traverse City, Mich., and was supposed to return to Grand Rapids, according WZZM, a Gannett news station in Grand Rapids.

According to a Gannett news source, the N400DE plane was registered to an Ada, Mich. address, under David Eyde of the Eyde Development Corp., in Lansing, Mich.

Delaware Community Schools officials locked down schools as soon as they received word a plane was circling the area this morning.

School principals were told to follow emergency procedures to protect students and get them into a safe areas, Supt. Steve Hall said.

The call from Hall and a visit from an Indiana State Police trooper to Delta High School came during lunch. An announcement over the intercom told students to move into the tornado positions but did not explain why until the students were safe, Principal Jim Koger said.

For more on this story, including aeriel photos of the crash site and video from the scene, check Thursday's print edition of The Star Press and thestarpress.com | The Star Press | Muncie news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Muncie, Indiana.

--------------------------------------------------

BREAKING NEWS: Schools were on lockdown before the crash | thestarpress.com | The Star Press
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Wow, a lot of panic over a very small plane. I guess they had to wonder where the thing eventually would crash.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama512 View Post
    Wow, a lot of panic over a very small plane. I guess they had to wonder where the thing eventually would crash.
    I was wondering that also. I wonder if their have been any specific threats for the area to warrant that type of response
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    It's too bad it wasn't a terrorist plot to destroy the city. hehehe
    Are you really joking about a plane being used by terrorist and hitting a city???

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Not trying to offend sensibilities, I'm just saying my city is a sh*thole. If the earth opened up and swallowed it, the earth would subsequently spit it back out.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    Not trying to offend sensibilities, I'm just saying my city is a sh*thole. If the earth opened up and swallowed it, the earth would subsequently spit it back out.
    Ah.. you city must have alot of sister cities then
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Thread Information