Welcome to the APBWeb.
    OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO

Rio wins host bid; Chicago was first out 2016 Olympics

COPENHAGEN -- Finally, South America gets an Olympics. The 2016 Games are going to Rio de Janeiro.

In a vote of high drama, the bustling Brazilian carnival city of beaches, mountains and samba beat surprise finalist Madrid, which got a big helping hand from a very influential friend.

Chicago was knocked out in the first round -- in one of the most shocking defeats ever in International Olympic Committee voting. Even Tokyo, which had trailed throughout the race, did better -- eliminated after Chicago in the second round.

Rio spoke to IOC members' consciences: The city argued that it was simply unfair that South America has never hosted the Games, while Europe, Asia and North America have done so repeatedly.

"It is a time to address this imbalance," Brazil's charismatic president, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, told the IOC's members before they voted. "It is time to light the Olympic cauldron in a tropical country."

The bearded former union leader disappeared into a huge group hug with the joyous Rio team after IOC president Jacques Rogge announced that the city won. Football great Pele had tears in his eyes.

Nearly 50,000 people cheered in celebration when Rio was announced, jumping and shouting in a Carnival-like party on Copacabana beach. The party was expected to go well into the night, and officials said the crowd would easily surpass 100,000 people.

Rio is only the second country in the Southern Hemisphere to host. Australia, which has hosted two, is the other. Rio made failed attempts to host in 1936, 2004 and 2012.

Brazil will also host the 2014 World Cup with the finals taking place in Rio.

Madrid's surprising success in reaching the final round came after former IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch made an unusual appeal for the Spanish capital, reminding the IOC's members as he asked for their vote that, at age 89, "I am very near the end of my time."

Samaranch ran the IOC for 21 years before Rogge took over in 2001.

Chicago had long been seen as a front-runner and got the highest possible level of support -- from President Barack Obama himself. But he only spent a few hours in the Danish capital where the vote was held and left before the result was announced. Former IOC member Kai Holm said that the brevity of his appearance may have counted against him.

The short stopover was "too business-like," Holm said. "It can be that some IOC members see it as a lack of respect."

Senior Australian IOC member Kevan Gosper surmised that Asian voters may have banded together for Tokyo in the first round, at Chicago's expense.

"I'm shocked," Gosper said. "The whole thing doesn't make sense other than there has been a stupid bloc vote."

He worried that the shock exit could do "untold damage" to the already testy relations between the IOC and the U.S. Olympic Committee. They had recent flare-ups over revenue sharing and a USOC TV network.

"To have the president of the United States and his wife personally appear, then this should happen in the first round is awful and totally undeserving," Gosper said.

The European-dominated IOC's last two experiences in the United States were marked by controversy: The 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics were sullied by a bribery scandal and logistical problems and a bombing hit the 1996 Games in Atlanta.

Obama had held out the enticing prospect of a Chicago Games helping to reconnect the United States with the world after the presidency of George W. Bush. He told the IOC earlier Friday that the "full force of the White House" would be applied so "visitors from all around the world feel welcome and will come away with a sense of the incredible diversity of the American people."

Now, Chicago can only rue what might have been. And Obama's gamble of expending his own political capital on the bid backfired.

White House senior adviser David Axelrod said Obama's appearance before the IOC was not enough to overcome "politics inside that room" and other factors he believed weighed against Chicago's bid.

"Obviously it was disappointing," Axelrod, a former Chicago journalist, told CNN. "It didn't work out but it was worth the effort."

"I don't view this as a repudiation of the president or the first lady," he added.

The last U.S. city to bid for the Summer Games, New York, did scarcely better. It was ousted in the second round in the 2005 vote that gave the 2012 Games to London.

Tokyo did better than many expected by reaching the second round. It had offered reassurances of financial security, with $4 billion already banked for the 2016 Games.

But the fact that the Olympics were held only last year in Asia, in Beijing, handicapped the Japanese capital's bid.

Its plans for a highly compact Olympics, sparing athletes tiring travel by holding all but the shooting within 5 miles of the city center, were technically appealing. But the bid failed to generate real enthusiasm, even in Japan. Tokyo had the lowest public backing in IOC polls.

Tokyo's final presentation Friday to the IOC, while smooth and heartfelt, lacked the buzz that the Obamas and Rio generated. In short, Tokyo was simply overshadowed, failing to convince IOC members that it really wanted or needed the Games.

Information from The Associated Press and Reuters was used in this report.

Rio beats out Madrid as 2016 Olympics host - ESPN Chicago

Captain America is online now Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    So much for the "full force of the White House."
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Even the world recognizes he is out of his depth at this point.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I'm glad this is all over with. Now the city can get back to the real issues LIKE GIVING ME A NEW CONTRACT THE OLD ONE EXPIRED 28 MONTHS AGO!!!
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Captain America is online now Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Clearly this setback is George Bush's fault.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What is Chicago going to do with Chalky now?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

HIPCHIP is offline Rookie
    The Windy City is home of the Blues, and one of my favorite places (although I've never been able to visit), but with all the problems I have heard are happening in Chi-town, I'm not surprised the IOC decided not to choose it and eliminated it in the first round.

Hopefully, this will be a wake-up call and they'll work to fix the tarnished image that Chicago has had in the media as of late.

bird1 is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    What is Chicago going to do with Chalky now?

Chalky will go on
    " The hardest thing about disarming an armed suspect is not slipping on your own shit "

Michael P. Gordon E.O.W 08 Aug 2004

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I hope Oprah paid for the trip over there and not our tax money, because they had quite an entourage with them.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I heard Sen Burris is already blaming Bush for this
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Obama should have diverted by Afghanistan for a few minutes on the way home and talked to General McChrystal.

(\__/)

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    I hope Oprah paid for the trip over there and not our tax money, because they had quite an entourage with them.
    Heard on the news that it is costing....drum roll please....

1.2 million $$

of tax payer's money to fund the trip

from fox news

The first is in Denmark, which President Obama leaves for on Thursday, looking to bring the 2016 Olympics to Chicago and joining his wife Michelle who already made the flight there.
    But, in doing, so he's forgetting at least two things:
    First, the troops that are coming home dead from Afghanistan. And, while he's found the time to talk to everyone but the Food Network and FOX News about his Chicago White Sox, Obama has only had one meeting with his national security advisers to discuss the 66-page memo from General Stanley McChrystal from August, which says troops are urgently needed.
    But let's put that off to the side.
    Second, it's going to cost approximately $1.2 million to fly Air Force One over to Copenhagen and it will spew over a million pounds of CO2 into the atmosphere, while at the same time he lectures us on carbon emissions. And remember to double that, because the Obamas couldn't travel together.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    Heard on the news that it is costing....drum roll please....

1.2 million $$

of tax payer's money to fund the trip

And I bet many if not most Chicagoans didn't even want it, except the very small minority who would actually attend the games, restaurants, and people who have rooms to rent.

(\__/)

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Let's see...

President & Mrs. Obama, and Oprah go over to present the case for Chicago in person. Any other head of state do this? Nope. Any other city putting a bid in have a major media figure (how else to describe Oprah?) put the case forward? Nope.

Couldn't be that the effort to overwhelm via star power was seen for just what it was, could it?

Let's be real: ANY city in the US, at this point in time, is going to have an uphill battle for anything like this. The WORLD don't like us, folks. With a few exceptions... most of whom often are simply tolerant of us. Add to that the simple fact that we've had the Summer and Winter Games more than once in the last couple of decades... Not a surprise that Chicago didn't get it.

(And I bet lots of folks in Chicago are quite happy not to have that pain in the ass of a circus to deal with. In fact, I read an article in today's Washington Post suggesting that the Olympics aren't really that good a deal for the host city, anyway!)
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    In fact, I read an article in today's Washington Post suggesting that the Olympics aren't really that good a deal for the host city, anyway!
    When Dallas made a bid for the last Olympics, that was brought out here, too. There were studies presented that repeatedly said that payments to the international Olympic Comittee (sometimes a scandal in itself), the cost of upgraded venues and transportation systems, security, and loss of services to the residents made hosting the games a net loss.

The only businesses that really, really wanted it were the owners of the sports venues, hotels, car rental companies, airlines, and restaurants. Of course the city would have gotten a percentage of increased sales in hotel/retail taxes, just not enough.

Plus, the extra income is temporary but paying for all the expenses goes on for years afterward.

(\__/)

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    If you watched the news it was us or Rio....LOL. Now that was comedy!
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Thread Information