Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Dallas Morning News Feature Article - Flower Mound Citizen Police Academy

neighborsgo.com: post your community news
    neighborsgo.com: post your community news

neighborsgo Blog | The Dallas Morning News
    Flower Mound: Inside the citizen police academy

9:50 AM Wed, Oct 07, 2009 | Permalink

Spending a Saturday morning firing a .40-caliber handgun, a 12-gauge shotgun, an M-4 rifle and an AK-47 isn’t out of the ordinary for Flower Mound’s citizen police academy; it’s all part of the experience.

The class of 20 stepped up to the firing line Saturday, each taking one-on-one instruction from Flower Mound police officers. The session was part of the 10-week course to explore the inner workings of the police department.

“[The citizens] get to know what our fire power consists of,” said Steven Caldwell, crime prevention officer. “The purpose is to educate them on gun safety as well as just firearms in general.”

Aparna Batlanki, a stay-at-home mom, said the firearms class was the one she had been waiting for.

“The M-4 and the shotgun are my favorite,” she said. “But it was educational. Now I know how much [the officers] have to practice to get it right.”

Ready, aim, fire

• Glock 22 (semi-automatic .40 caliber pistol): I have a little bit of experience with a Glock. It’s fun to shoot. However, after about 10 shots, my hits started trailing down on the target, and they took the gun away.
    • Remington 870 (12-gauge shotgun): The shotgun was intimidating. I shot all of the other firearms before I mustered up the courage to try one that required specific placement on my shoulder to avoid injury. Note to self: Don’t stick your tongue out when firing a shotgun with a lot of recoil. I shot it only once.
    • Colt M-4 (semi-automatic/automatic rifle): The rifle was, by far, my favorite — especially after the switch hit automatic. Nevertheless, there’s a reason the officers instruct the shooters to fire in short bursts. The bullets tend to creep upward.
    • AK-47 (automatic assault rifle): It was extremely heavy.

But Caldwell said the purpose of the class is serious, too.

“About half of the class has never shot a gun before,” he said. “We let them have the chance to walk a mile in our shoes. That’s just part of it.”

Antoinette Lucania, 83, shoots a Glock 22
    while Officer Bob Lemoine assists during
    the Flower Mound Citizen Police Academy
    firearms class Saturday.

http://neighborsgo.com/index.php?pag...&post_id=16847

Flower Mound officer takes bite out of crime

On Thursday, the class met Bullet, the Flower Mound K9 trained in narcotics, patrol, and when needed, apprehension. He sniffed out some marijuana, located an article and apprehended a pretend suspect.

The catch: Bullet understands only Czech
    and German.

Bullet, Not Your Average Dawg

He’s from central Europe, he understands only Czech and German, and he’s in charge of narcotics, patrol, and when needed, apprehension for the Flower Mound Police Department.

His name is Bullet, and he’s a police dog.

Bullet, 3, sniffed our marijuana, located an article and apprehended a pretend suspect Thursday at the police department’s citizen police academy, which is in its sixth week.

The purpose of the 10-week course is to explore the inner workings of the police department.

Thursday’s session also covered communications and a firearms briefing in preparation for Saturday's lesson.

The class of 20 learned about the role police dispatchers play in a crisis and listened to real 9-1-1 calls including a case of domestic violence, an early childbirth and a robbery.

“It’s really something,” said Bill House, 79-year-old retired Army radio operator. “You get to understand the whole facet of the police department. I have a lot of respect for them.”

Mickie Taylor, a mother of three who used to be in law enforcement, said she chose to take the class because it’s in her blood.

“I wanted to get as close as I could get,” she said.

On Saturday, House and Taylor will join their classmates at the Grapevine Police Department gun range. They’ll be shooting a .40-caliber pistol, a 12-gauge shotgun and an M-4 rifle.

“I don’t know,” House said, “it’s been a long time since I shot an M-1 rifle in the Army.”I'll also be shooting on Saturday. Check back for the 4-1-1 on how it went.

The class also learned about the role police dispatchers play in a crisis last week, listening to real 9-1-1 calls including a case of domestic violence, an early childbirth and a robbery.

“It’s really something,” said Bill House, 79-year-old retired Army radio operator. “You get to understand the whole facet of the police department. I have a lot of respect for them.”

Karl Buddenhagen said he is taking the course because he wants a career as police officer. He is planning to enlist in the Army Reserve as well as apply for the Flower Mound dispatch position.

And Batlanki said the class has changed her view of the police department.

“I always wanted to know how the police department works, what they do, how they work together,” she said. “Now I know. I see it in a totally different light now.”

To follow the Flower Mound CPA, check out neighborsgo.com: post your community news

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    "Note to self: Don’t stick your tongue out when firing a shotgun with a lot of recoil"

'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    "Note to self: Don’t stick your tongue out when firing a shotgun with a lot of recoil"

Or stand with your feet together and leaning back...............
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Lindsey Bever (lol I hope that's not pronounced the way I originally read it), while probably an attractive lady in her own right, looks absolutely yummy in tactical black and in the other pictures on the range. Crappy stance be damned.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    Lindsey Bever (lol I hope that's not pronounced the way I originally read it), while probably an attractive lady in her own right, looks absolutely yummy in tactical black and in the other pictures on the range. Crappy stance be damned.
    Maybe you should do some one on one training with her
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I wish Richardson would let me sign up to fire automatic rifles!
    Romans 13:4
    For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Firing stance? Cameraman would probably be more into that conversation. Her stance is pro LE so far as I can tell: as reporters go isn't that more important than how they fire weapons?

Get some lucky young guy here her phone number.

ms1600 is offline Neither here nor there
    Citizens academies are great tools for educating the public about what you ladies and gents do. APD has them up here and I attended one a few years back. Kudos to officers that volunteer to present at them.
    Verified Libra- There sure are a lot of people born in August around here.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes he gets you.

Thread Information