Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Plain talk? Or Code?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=113738105

October 13, 2009
    Police radio can sound like an algebra class, with all those 10-4s and 187s.
    But more and more departments are trying a radical approach: asking officers who need backup or want to report a robbery to do so in plain old English.

Late one night in 2005, a police officer on a dark highway in Independence, Mo., radioed in that he had just passed a State Highway Patrol officer's car on the side of a road with the door open.

The dispatcher confirmed his message and said she'd ask highway patrol about it. But something about the patrol car bothered the officer. He changed his mind.

"We're going to start heading back that way just in case, advise us if he's ... if you get word that he's 10-19," the officer said.

He wanted to know if the trooper was 10-19 — code for just fine, out on a call. But this state trooper was not 10-19; he was laying 20 feet away in a ditch, barely alive, shot eight times by a rifle.

This is how the dispatcher relayed that information to the State Highway Patrol: "They have a trooper in the ditch, they are ordering the ambulance, they are also trying to get Life Flight."

That's because 10-33, 10-52, GSW doesn't mean officer down, send an ambulance, multiple gunshot wounds, to the Missouri Highway Patrol. To the highway patrol, 10-33 is a traffic backup.

Because the dispatcher switched to plain English, every state trooper for 50 miles came running. The officer lived, and the suspect was caught in less than an hour.
    The Push To Plain English
    "In the case of a large-scale disaster, we all have to be able to go on the radio and talk to each other," says Mike Williams, assistant chief of the Chattanooga Police Department in Tennessee. His agency was on the forefront of the switch to plain talk a couple years ago, when officials realized that local agencies couldn't communicate during tornadoes and floods.
    "You had 10 different radio systems, and everybody had different codes," Williams says. "It was a nightmare."
    Coded police talk came about during the 1920s and '30s, when radio channels were scarce. Officers needed to get on and off the air quickly. They created what are called 10 codes, and then later signal codes. Police also thought the codes would keep things less public. But Williams says that even with different local versions, that's always been wishful thinking.
    "The codes are no secret. They've been around for as long as I've been doing this, and the public pretty much knows," he says.
    The real push to plain English came after Sept. 11, followed by Hurricane Katrina, when dozens of neighboring police responded to New York City, Washington, D.C., and New Orleans only to be met by utter confusion on the radio. Three years ago, the Department of Homeland Security asked police agencies to voluntarily make the switch. Many departments, such as Midwest City, Okla., have switched.
    "We always say tradition is the biggest roadblock to progress, and I think it's tradition in law enforcement," says Brandon Clabes, chief of the Midwest City Police Department. Instead of saying there's a 417, officers now just say there's a man with a gun inside the 7-Eleven store.
    It's been so successful, Clabes now asks his officers to write reports in plain English and talk off air in plain English, too.
    "I exited my police car, or the suspects fled on foot — you know I got out of my car. I made entry. OK, I walked in the front door. It's just a simple thing," he explains.
    A Barking 10-11
    Police radio codes were popularized in the 1970s and '80s by cop shows on TV, such as: What's your 20? — as in 10-20, your location; he's 5150 — a mental patient; rap music is full of 187s, which are homicides.
    Some departments that still use the codes take it to the extreme. It's not uncommon to hear a dispatcher say a caller is complaining about a barking 10-11.
    In departments that use plain English, though, officers say there is a sense that some privacy has been lost. But most have found a work-around.
    A few months ago on the streets of Washington, D.C., a police commander asks if an officer is able to talk openly.
    The officer pauses.
    "Um, just to give you a heads-up, I have a reporter with me who's on a ride-along," he says.
    The two men quickly ditch the radio and turn to the latest in police telecommunications: cell phones.

We still use codes here, but it's become increasingly lax over time and there aren't any consequences if you stray from code.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    We only use codes for the more mundane things, nothing involving the safety of officers.

All of our license plate, DL checks are done with 10 codes, but domestics, alarms, fights, gun calls, etc, come over in plain english.

Our county wide code for "officer down" or "officer needs help" (10-88) is the same for every department county wide, so I guess we do use that one rather than plain english. I've heard it a couple times. Not a fan.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    We use 10 codes, can't say if I like plain or code talk, since I have only used code. I think plain talk is the way to go though.
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    We switched to very limited codes about 2 years ago. Before that, my department was a mix; plain talk or code was acceptable.

For the most part, I don't have a problem with plain speech... except that I've noticed that more and more of the new folks take 10 minutes to say anything. Which kind of gets frustrating when you need to get on the air... The handful of codes we've got now cover the stuff that just maybe shouldn't be in plain speech... like a way to say that you're going to be arresting the bad guy or for dispatch to tell you that he's wanted without tipping him off...

I did disagree with the change of the officer in distress code, though. It got changed to what used to be a telephone call... I just see that as a disaster waiting to happen.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Code6 is offline Beep,Beep!!!
    Verified LEO
    We use a combintation of plain English and codes

Code 0 = Caution
    Code 1 = arrival
    Code 2 = traffic stop
    Code 3 = emergency radio traffic only on specific channel
    Code 4 = okay
    Code 5 = subject in custody
    Code 6 = mental subject
    Code 7 = meal break
    Code 8 = in-service
    Code 9 = wanted subject or other information
    Code 10 = Officer needs emergency assistance
    Code 11 = routine response for cover

We also have a list of Alpha codes for call dispositions.

Otherwise we use plain English.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it really is all about?

Police others as you would have them Police you.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Code6 View Post
    We use a combintation of plain English and codes

Code 0 = Caution
    Code 1 = arrival
    Code 2 = traffic stop
    Code 3 = emergency radio traffic only on specific channel
    Code 4 = okay
    Code 5 = subject in custody
    Code 6 = mental subject
    Code 7 = meal break
    Code 8 = in-service
    Code 9 = wanted subject or other information
    Code 10 = Officer needs emergency assistance
    Code 11 = routine response for cover

We also have a list of Alpha codes for call dispositions.

Otherwise we use plain English.
    So you're a mental subject with a gun?

The place I reserved for used 10-codes. I hate them. Had to keep a cheat sheet in case they started to use the exotic ones.

The town I live in & do citizen patrols in are plain English all the way - Much better!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    We use limited 10-codes, mostly clear voice though. I am all for clear voice but a few codes are needed, such as a code for "secure your radio" before giving warrant or wanted info to an officer in the presence of the offender.

Several years ago a dispatcher, voice excited, sent me to a 10-43. That was not one of the limited codes that we used. I asked what a 10-43 was and dispatch said "Man with a gun". When I cleared the call I went to dispatch and asked the dispatcher if he had to look up the code for "man with a gun" before he gave it to me. He said he did. I asked him "Then what makes you think I would know it off the top of my head?". He got the point.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We use codes. We don't have any fancy codes for types of crimes. Those just get dispatched as their Penal Code #. ie a homicide = 187 P.C. a Robbery = 211P.C.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    My dept. keeps flip-flopping on which way it wants to go. So anymore you get a wide variety of combinations of the two being heard over our radios.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    We use plain talk for just about everything with a couple of exceptions (party has a warrant or a bomb threat).
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

K9brando is offline Fun In The Snow!
    Verified LEO
    We have switched to plain english but some of us have taken old school back. We are using ten codes more often and a lot of the newer guys are confused because they are not taught ten codes in basic anymore so we have to switch back plain english. Oh well!
    I'm ready for spring!

I was going to say too, that the agency using 10-codes would use Cross streets which I LOVED - But the PD where I do Citizen patrols use Block Numbers.

Since they don't expect us to be perfect on the radio, I use cross streets unless I see an address, because they just don't make streets signs that I can read the block number off of when we're moving.

(\__/)

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I think one if the key things is having everyone using the same system. Here every agency in the county uses the same codes. So no matter which dispatch you are talking to or officer you are helping everything is the same.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    We dumped the codes years ago. Too many troops on the street on a busy night for all that number stuff. Some of the old timers still use a code occasionally but you don't hear it much any more. Hell, our old code system is different than the next county over so it's just too much trouble to try to use them.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    We used plain talk, the Colonel couldn't remember the codes so he dumped them.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I prefer plain talk mostly as long as users aren't engaging in lengthy conversations. That's a little irratating. Officer in distress here is usually noted by the higher octave of the voice not a code. And that, in my opinion, works well.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    I was going to say too, that the agency using 10-codes would use Cross streets which I LOVED - But the PD where I do Citizen patrols use Block Numbers.

Since they don't expect us to be perfect on the radio, I use cross streets unless I see an address, because they just don't make streets signs that I can read the block number off of when we're moving.
    If you're relying on signs to tell you where you're at you're in trouble. I know, even without a cross street to tell me, when I've traveled about a block on a street so I know when to start slowing for an address.

Both places I've worked required me to have an extremely thorough knowledge of the hundred block system. Where I work now borders northeast Denver. I know by heart every hundred block from 2300 east to 18500 east (north of our zero line we use numbered avenues) and I have a passing knowledge of of the other sides. It's required in FTO. IMO only learning you street rotatin and not the hundred blocks doesn't give you as thorough a knowledge of your geography. You give me an address in my city, hell anywhere in the metro area really, and if I can't tell you the exact location including the side of the street, then at least the nearest intersection.

I almost never use cross streets to advise my location unless I'm actually IN the intersection. If something hits the fan I don't want my cover wondering where in relation to the intersection I am. Whether I'm on X street or Y street, and how far from the intersection I am. Two biggest pe peeved are when officers scream for help and give their cross streets rather than a hundred block and we get there and they're actually a couple hundred feet away from the intersection making it that much harderto find them. Or the guys that take up all kinds of air time calling stuff out because they don't know or more likely forgot their hundred blocks. Instead of saying "I'm in the 6-2 hundred block of Main St." they say shit like "I'm at Main St. and Smith St. And just to advise I'm just a little west of Smith St. on Main." UGH! Don't be that windbag! Learn your freaking hundred blocks. Especially when a particular cross street might not cross your roadway at that particular location.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Theoretically the UK now has a countrywide compatible radio system. You can talk to any one in any of the force areas. It doesn't always work but on the whole is succesfull.
    This has meant that we are all supposed to be working to the same national 10 code. However some areas seem reluctant to ditch their own versions.
    Not too many people use the 10 codes and it is mostly plain english. However it does seem the younger officers seem to rattle on when on the air.
    I believe longer serving officers remember when radios were poor and very hit and miss. Your messages therefore had to be concise.
    Radio transissions are all about A. B. C. Accuracy, Brevity, Clarity.
    It also seems to be the case that no one knows there patch anymore, always asking for directions or postcodes for their sat navs.
    I am often to be heard shouting at the radio "get a map" when I can't get on the air for a long list of directions!
    However I am particularly sad (every 100 metres on the motorway is a marker post with a number) if you give a marker post number on my 30 miles or so of motorway I can visualise which particular 100 metres that is!
    Definitely time to retire!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    Instead of saying "I'm in the 6-2 hundred block of Main St." they say shit like "I'm at Main St. and Smith St. And just to advise I'm just a little west of Smith St. on Main." UGH! Don't be that windbag! Learn your freaking hundred blocks. Especially when a particular cross street might not cross your roadway at that particular location.
    I'll remember that - As soon as I find out which city I need to learn.

Oh God... What if I wind up having to learn Dallas? I don't know how they do it.

(\__/)

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    I am often to be heard shouting at the radio "get a map" when I can't get on the air for a long list of directions!
    Tell them to get GPS and they can get a long list of directions narrated by a soothing voice with the gender and accent of their choice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information