Premium Lifetime Member

6 Year Old Suspended

Schoolboy suspended over lunch cutlery

09:15 AEST Wed Oct 14 2009
    ago

VIEWS: 0
    | FLOCKS: 0
    | 0 comments so far

Zachary Christie was suspended over his lunch cutlery. (CBS)

A US school board member says a six-year-old who was suspended for bringing a camping utensil to school is likely to get a reprieve.
    Zachary Christie was ordered to spend 45 days in an alternative school for troublemakers because he wanted to eat lunch with his favorite camping tool a combination of folding fork, knife and spoon.
    "It's not fair," Zachary told the NBC's Today Show.
    "I took it to eat lunch with I had absolutely no idea this was going to happen.
    "The teacher said 'Can I have that I am going to hand it to your teacher' and she gave it to the principal. When they called my name out I thought 'Uh oh'."
    Zachary had recently been given the pocket knife after joining Cub Scouts.
    His mother Debbie immediately appealed the ruling and says she will have to home school her son if it is not overturned.
    "I understand why they have the policy but I do not agree with the implementation of it," Ms Christie said.
    "I think they need to look at the age, maturity and intent and bring in the teacher and principal and allow them to make the first call in these circumstances."
    While the Christina School District has a zero-tolerance policy for weapons in school, board member John Mackenzie conceded "the policy, of course, needs some additional flexibility."
    Mr Mackenzie said teachers and administrators need the freedom to use their common sense when it's obvious that a child presents no danger.
    He says the board will likely amend the policy this week and that any change would be retroactive to the beginning of the school year.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I saw this on the News last night and at that time they were going to suspend him and send him to reform school for 45 days. I guess they are changing their minds after the media got involved.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Mr Mackenzie said teachers and administrators need the freedom to use their common sense when it's obvious that a child presents no danger.

Ya think? Is thinking even allowed anymore? You might be in violation of school policy too.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Jesus, they are tougher on 6 year old Cub Scouts at this school than my state is on murderers. That is what happens when you have lazy , cowardly school administrators who are afraid to make decisions on a case by case bases and hide by zero tolerance polices.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Thread Information