Welcome to the APBWeb.
    thanantos is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Don't want an MIP ticket? Just call 911.

Not that I care all that much about writing MIP tickets, but this is just silly.

From WoodTV8:

Bill: No MIP if drinkers call 911
    Bill OK'd 13-0, supported by prosecutors

Updated: Wednesday, 14 Oct 2009, 10:12 PM EDT
    Published : Wednesday, 14 Oct 2009, 1:47 PM EDT

By DAVID EGGERT Associated Press Writer
    LANSING, Mich. (AP) - A Michigan House committee has voted to exempt minors from prosecution for underage drinking if they or their friends call 911 for medical assistance.

The bill approved 13-0 Wednesday is supported by prosecutors and East Lansing's police chief.

Supporters say saving lives is more important than ticketing minors for possession of alcohol.

Some students at Grand Valley State University say drinking happens at colleges across the state, and while they would like to think they'd call if a situation became dire, they have reservations about calling for help.

"As it is now, maybe a little bit," student Andrew Wernette said. "If I didn't think it was super serious, I might be a little hesitant. Especially when you're intoxicated, your judgement isn't always the best."

Other students said if the bill becomes a law, it could encourage minors to be more proactive.

"I'm definitely concerned, because it makes me think maybe no one has called 911 because they're too concerned to do it," student Rachel Sasinowski said.

The bill cites instances where authorities weren't called and minors died because their friends were scared of being charged. The full House could vote on the legislation soon before it goes to the Senate.
    The truth is you're the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.
    I'm tryin'...real hard...to be the shepherd.

DSAM-MI.org

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    So we abuse the 911 system AND ERs across the region?

Wow.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    How do you come to that conclusion?

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    I'm sure there is no way for this new bill to be abused........
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    They don't want tickets? They would really hate it here. We have a policy to arrest any minor under the influence of alcohol.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Whatever happened to just roll them out the door at the ER and punch it?

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    They don't want tickets? They would really hate it here. We have a policy to arrest any minor under the influence of alcohol.

We couldn't arrest them, because you can't arrest a minor in Texas - But we could sure hold them and either make Mommy & Daddy come pick them up on the side of the road or take them to see the judge at the courthouse or PD, or take them to Juvi 30 miles away and let them deal with Mommy & Daddy if it was serious enough

Come to think of it, Juvi wouldn't take them if they were drunk, but we could still take them over there to see the judge, and make Mommy & Daddy drive all that way. Problem was, we had to wait on them if we did that, and there are rules out the kazoo for how you have to treat minors - Basically someone has to babysit them every second. So we'd usually just wait on Mommy & Daddy by the side of the road, where-found.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    We couldn't arrest them, because you can't arrest a minor in Texas
    What?????????????????
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Verified LEO
    I get the issues of whether or not juv. detention would accept the drunk juvie, but you CANT arrest them??? Here we can always arrest them, but most likely if they are drunk, we wouldn't get them placed in detention, unless we couldn't find a responsible party. Then detention would have no choice but to accept the drunk juvie.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Arrest here at the age of 10. Usually released to a "responsible" party. That in my opinion is a contridiction in terms.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Minors shouldn't be drinking and if they have been drinking, are they serious enough to warrant a 911 call plus an ER visit?

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Here's what I'm looking at :

Got a situation where someone's blacked out drunk. They're in bad shape, but their friends are too scared of the consequences to call for help. Most of the time it just makes for an epic hangover, but every now and then someone gets to check off another alcohol poisoning death for the statistics. Should they have called for help knowing they'd be busted? Yes. Will they? Usually not.

This way they do. In those cases where it would have just been an epic hangover? Now you have mom and dad standing in an ER at 3am. Makes for a lot more of a wake up call than a headache. I wouldn't call it a total waste.

Someone might try to get cute with it and call 911 when their party is getting busted. So they get a MIP, false report to 911 and cost of an ambulance run to cap their night. Word spreads quick on how that plan works out.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Maybe we should do the same thing with Herion ODs too.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    I get the issues of whether or not juv. detention would accept the drunk juvie, but you CANT arrest them??? Here we can always arrest them, but most likely if they are drunk, we wouldn't get them placed in detention, unless we couldn't find a responsible party. Then detention would have no choice but to accept the drunk juvie.
    No, really all the cops can do is "detain" them for parents, turn them over to a qualified detention center, and/or find a judge and let him decide what to do with them. And I think their hearing before the judge must have a parent or guardian present... I'm only going off of memory. I've never done that part... If it's serious enough he can put them in detention with caretakers and all that, but never in a real jail as most people think of jail.

It's different from being arrested and put in jail, in that they have to be babysat, has to be out of sight & sound of adult prisoners, they can't be shackled or locked in a cell or other room without an officer or C/O present in the room with them, yada yada yada. I think the reason is that they've had so many minors commit suicide if left alone in a room, even over minor shit.

Juvi won't take drunk kids because they may pose a safety risk for themselves or the other minors in there, plus I guess there's the question of liability due to alcohol poisoning, so off to the hospital they go, I'm told. I never had to deal with that part, either.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 01-27-10, 09:33 PM

Thread Information