Welcome to the APBWeb.
    pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Trooper recieves shock

Woman convicted of animal cruelty uses stun gun on trooper | Sun Journal

Woman convicted of animal cruelty uses stun gun on trooper
    By Donna M. Perry, Staff Writer
    Published: Oct 16, 2009 12:00 am Buy a Print
    Donna M. Perry/Sun Journal

FARMINGTON Police say a 65-year-old New Sharon woman assaulted a state trooper with a 975,000-volt stun gun during an investigation into possible animal hoarding at her house on Lane Road.

Carol Murphy pleaded not guilty in Franklin County Superior Court on Thursday to assault on an officer, criminal threatening, refusing to submit to arrest and criminal use of an electronic weapon. She was being held at the Franklin County jail on $10,000 cash bail or $100,000 worth of real estate.

State Animal Welfare Program staff and Maine State Police seized at least 40 domestic and farm critters, including a donkey, two alpacas and a pot-bellied pig, at Murphy's house on Thursday.

"We found a lot of animals," Animal Welfare Director Norma Worley said. "Forty at minimal; maybe more."

Murphy is under a court order that bars her from keeping animals at her home.

In 2004, nearly 70 animals were seized from her property, most of them living in her house and garage. In 2005, she was convicted of animal cruelty and possessing animals without permits. Murphy was sentenced to six months in jail, with all but 24 hours suspended, and one year of probation. She was fined and ordered to pay restitution, as well as prohibited from possessing any animals for the rest of her life.

State Trooper Aaron Turcotte, who was not seriously injured by the shock to his head and neck, went to the house Wednesday after a representative from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals asked police to check on Murphy.

Turcotte wrote in an affidavit that when he arrived at the house he saw several roosters walking around outside and Murphy walking toward her car. He told her he had a warrant for her arrest and asked if she needed to lock her home. She shook her head and walked into her house, he wrote. The warrant was issued for unpaid fines and fees in connection with the animal cruelty conviction in 2005.

After Murphy had been inside for five minutes, Turcotte said he opened the storm door and knocked on the inside door and it partially opened.

"I could smell a strong odor of feces coming from inside the home," he wrote. "I could hear what sounded like several dogs barking from inside."

When Murphy finally came out with her back to him, Turcotte held the door for her because he thought she was having some difficulty.

"At this time, I felt something striking my face and neck, jolting me," he said, and he saw a black object in her hand. "I could then hear the noise being made from the black object and realized I had been shocked by a stun gun on the face and neck," he wrote.

Turcotte said he ordered Murphy to drop the stun gun, which she refused to do and began to advance on him. He used pepper spray on her and grabbed her by the arms, pulling her to the ground. She continued to resist, but he was able to handcuff her, he said.

Murphy was arrested and taken to the Franklin County jail in Farmington on Wednesday. Her house was watched through the night by state police, Trooper Samuel Tlumac said from the road in front of Murphy's property on Thursday.

A donkey could be heard braying and a dog was barking. There were roosters in a pet carrier in the driveway.

State veterinarian Christine Fraser carried a large animal crate to the house from a vehicle parked on the road. The animals were to be taken to shelters around the state, Worley said.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Some Monday morning quarterbacking could be done here but I'll refrain.

Glad he's ok. Hopefully she spends some time in the gray bar for her actions.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Glad the trooper's OK.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    She was fined and ordered to pay restitution, as well as prohibited from possessing any animals for the rest of her life.

Now there's a first. An animal ban.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Animal banning actually happens quite a lot. Although most hoarders end up getting in trouble again for having animals. Glad the trooper is ok. Those hoarders are pretty adamant about keeping those animals...not surprised about him getting stunned.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post

Glad he's ok. Hopefully she spends some time in the gray bar for her actions.
    Exactly. He's lucky he wasn't killed. Thank goodness the trooper is ok.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    State Animal Welfare Program staff and Maine State Police seized at least 40 domestic and farm critters, including a donkey, two alpacas and a pot-bellied pig, at Murphy's house on Thursday.

"We found a lot of animals," Animal Welfare Director Norma Worley said. "Forty at minimal; maybe more."

Murphy is under a court order that bars her from keeping animals at her home.
    People who live on a farm or out in the country sometimes have animals, sometimes a lot of animals. Maybe she wasn't allowed to but the PETA director here seems to think that amount is out of the ordinary for a farm.

Turcotte wrote in an affidavit that when he arrived at the house he saw several roosters walking around outside and Murphy walking toward her car. He told her he had a warrant for her arrest and asked if she needed to lock her home. She shook her head and walked into her house, he wrote. The warrant was issued for unpaid fines and fees in connection with the animal cruelty conviction in 2005.

After Murphy had been inside for five minutes, Turcotte said he opened the storm door and knocked on the inside door and it partially opened.

"I could smell a strong odor of feces coming from inside the home," he wrote. "I could hear what sounded like several dogs barking from inside."
    According to the article this part of the report came from the Trooper and not PETA.

Apparently this is not the first time for her. Caring for animals means that you take care of their bathroom facilities. Obviously this wasn't done. If the household animals were properly being cared for, this would not have happened.

Found this link on Carol Murphy in the comments.

Not sure the whole story is being told in these two articles. but here it is FWIW. It accounts for events that happened to her while living in the states of Texas and Maine.

California Chronicle | When Vultures Rule - - One

This still doesn't give her any right to assault a LEO in the course of his duties.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Wow.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post

yeah, dont underestimate anyone for starters...there could be plenty more where that came from, but im sure this trooper now realizes where he went wrong.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post

Found this link on Carol Murphy in the comments.

Not sure the whole story is being told in these two articles. but here it is FWIW. It accounts for events that happened to her while living in the states of Texas and Maine.

California Chronicle | When Vultures Rule - - One

CTR I found this article interesting. I knew someone many years ago who worked for the local animal shelter. His job was to ride around with his Supervisor and look for stray and loose animals. What they actually did was steal animals from people's yards, specifically very expensive breeds of dogs and turn around and sell them. I know for a fact he took home an extra $500.00 a week minimum, and his Supervisor considerably more.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

matt86 is offline Piggy
    Verified LEO
    Wow... I can't believe he let her go back in the house (someone had to say it )

Glad the trooper is okay. The female is lucky she didn't get shot.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    CTR I found this article interesting. I knew someone many years ago who worked for the local animal shelter. His job was to ride around with his Supervisor and look for stray and loose animals. What they actually did was steal animals from people's yards, specifically very expensive breeds of dogs and turn around and sell them. I know for a fact he took home an extra $500.00 a week minimum, and his Supervisor considerably more.
    That's not right. These people who act in the name of animal rights and do this crap need to be prosecuted and with stiffer penalties.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information