Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Gangsters shot down police chopper in Rio, 12 killed

Gangsters shot down police chopper in Rio, 12 killed_English_Xinhua

www.chinaview.cn 2009-10-18 12:58:54 Print

Police inspect the remains of one of their crime-fighting helicopters lying in
    a soccer field after it was shot down when trying to intervene in a battle
    between two opposing drug gangs, in a Rio de Janeiro slum October 17, 2009.
    A police helicopter was shot down here on Saturday during a drug traffickers
    shoot-out, which claimed two police officers and 10 suspected gangsters, said
    the police.(Xinhua/Reuters Photo)

RIO DE JANERIO, Oct. 17 (Xinhua) -- A police helicopter was shot down here on Saturday during a drug traffickers shoot-out, which claimed two police officers and 10 suspected gangsters, said the police.

The helicopter was perforated by a bullet which ended up in the pilot's leg while flying over the "Hill of Monkeys", a slum in the northern part of the city, where police took on a gun battle between rival gangs over territory, said Major Oderlei Santos from the military police.
    The chopper burst into flames after being landed on a football pitch. Two police officers died and four other crew members were wounded including the pilot, one of them burned seriously, Duarte said.

Ten suspected traffickers were killed while those gangsters shooting in the slum. Eight buses were set on fire in slums in northern zone by suspected drug traffickers to distract the
    police forces, said Jose Beltrame, Rio's state security secretary.

An armored police vehicle sits near two public buses set on fire by drug gangs
    trying to distract the police from their battle for the control of a slum, in Rio de
    Janeiro October 17, 2009.(Xinhua/Reuters Photo)

Globo TV, a Brazilian TV station, broadcast the images of the crashed chopper and burning buses, quoting some witnesses as saying that around 15 armed and masked men drove off those passengers before they set the buses on fire.

At a press conference, the commander-general of the Rio's military police reaffirmed his efforts in responding to criminal acts such as this. According to the police, the situation was now under control and an additional 3,500 troops had been mobilized to reinforce the security in the area. Images of people back into the streets in the affected areas began to appear on television.

A person observes two public buses set on fire by drug gangs trying to distract
    the police from their battle for the control of a slum, in Rio de Janeiro October
    17, 2009.(Xinhua/Reuters Photo)

Helicopters are a frequent vehicle for the police to deal with all kinds of situations concerning drug trafficking which spreads across more than 1,000 slums in the city.
    Santos said it was the first time that a police helicopter had been shot down.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    That's scary. Rest in peace.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Over the past 10 years, my family took in two exchange students from an affluent suburb of Rio. Both came from a good familiy and were pretty good kids as well.

The stories of the Rio crime syndicates and drug gangs would make your toes curl. While one of the kids was here, a drug gang took over a military arsenal, killed all the soldiers and made off with millions of dollars of military weapons.

I can only wonder how the authorities are going to deal with the Olympics.......

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    I can only wonder how the authorities are going to deal with the Olympics.......

Car 4
    Maybe Chicago would have been a better pick after all... I never thought I'd say that

Seriously, what were they thinking picking a place like that?

(\__/)

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Maybe Chicago would have been a better pick after all... I never thought I'd say that

Not many folks are aware of the real lervel of crime in Rio. I wouldn't know either if we hadn't had these excange students. I am serious...Chicago the murder capital?....hahahhah...wait till they get to Rio.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post

That's just it. They weren't. "South America hasn't had a chance at the Olympics, lets give it to them."

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Verified LEO
    Just for the record....there were 21 murders in Rio this past Saturday night.

Put that in your Olympics pipe and smoke it.

Car 4

I think I'll wait for the Olympics to come to Dallas... But even then, I'd probably rent out my house for $1,000 per day, and head for Louisiana

(\__/)

Thread Information