Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Teen girl found on NY streets says she can't remember her name or anything about herself

Authorities are seeking the public's assistance in identifying a teenage girl who mysteriously turned up in Manhattan two weeks ago, claiming to have no memory of her family, her home -- or even her own name.

"I just want to know who I am," the girl says in a statement released by the New York City Administration for Children's Services. The teen, who is being referred to as Jane Doe, continues, "I want to know who I am and what happened to me."

The Caucasian young woman, described by New York ACS as "very soft-spoken," is 5 feet, 6 inches tall, light-skinned, with short, straight, cropped blond hair and blue eyes. Doctors are estimating her age to be between 14 and 17.
    Children's Services said the girl recently wrote down the name "Amber" and has responded to it on one occasion, but she has no idea whether it is her true name.
    On another occasion she is said to have recalled certain words, which turned out to be an excerpt from the fantasy novel "Fool's Fate" by Robin Hobb. The girl is also apparently writing a fantasy story of her own that features a heroine named Rian, "who's been raised by the commander of the guard post on the edge of a fantasy kingdom," says the young woman.
    The girl has a 2- to 4-inch scar on her lower left back and had a black, handwritten birthday message on her arm, addressed to a name of Japanese origin, when she was found, police said Friday.
    Judging from poor dental hygiene, said Lt. Christopher Zimmerman, she appears to have been living on the streets for some time.
    More here: Girl found in NY claims no memory of name, home, family - CNN.com

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    She got ID'd, 18 year old reported missing from Washington State:

Police ID amnesia girl found in Manhattan; 18-year-old from Washington state

The amnesia-stricken girl found wandering in Manhattan two weeks ago was identified Saturday as a missing 18-year-old from the West Coast, police said.

Police are working to reunite the teen with her family, who had reported her missing early this month from their Washington state home, cops said.

Cops found the girl on Oct. 9 in front of Covenant House on W. 41st St.

The teen wasn't carrying any identification and claimed to have amnesia, sources said.

A fingerprint check did not reveal her identity and investigators had little else to go on.

She recalled the words to a fantasy novel, "Fool's Fate," and is writing a story.

She remembered that she was studying to take the GED exam.

And she wrote down and responded to the name Amber, but she was not sure if the name was hers.

Detectives identified the teenager from a call to the NYPD's tip hotline, sources said.

It was still unclear how the teen ended up in midtown. Her name is being withheld until family can come and positively identify her, a source said.

The lost girl remains in custody of the Administration for Children's Services, sources said.

Read more: Police ID amnesia girl found in Manhattan; 18-year-old from Washington state

Wonder how many missing pieces go with this story.

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Blue 4 U View Post

like the left side of her hair for starters
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Blue 4 U View Post

or if they will ever tell us of said missing pieces. The girl looks like she has a serious case of bedhead but somehow I don't think that is the issue. Maybe she is suffering from a concussion, who knows?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I've had days like that, but it's usually "What the Hell am I doing here?", not "Who am I?".

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information