lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Ahh....yeah.....ok

What's all this then? Police can't say 'Evenin' all' any more

By David Wilkes
    Last updated at 8:16 AM on 26th October 2009
    With his greeting of 'Evenin' all', Dixon of Dock Green embodied the values of the solid, commonsense copper.
    But his reassuring salutation, which began each episode of the classic police TV drama from 1955 to 1976, is one which today's real-life officers should be wary of using.
    According to one force's official guidelines, it could confuse people from different cultural backgrounds.
    Warwickshire Police's handbook Policing Our Communities, issued to every member of its staff, gives advice on communicating with people from different ethnic groups in a section entitled Communication, Some Dos & Doníts.
    It states: 'Don't assume those words for the time of day, such as afternoon or evening, have the same meaning.'
    A force spokesman explained: 'Terms such as afternoon and evening are somewhat subjective in meaning and can vary according to a person's culture or nationality. In many cultures the term evening is linked to time of day when people have their main meal of the day.
    'In some countries, including the UK, the evening meal time is traditionally thought of as being around 5-7pm but this might be different, say, for a family from America who might have their main meal earlier and thus for them evening may be an earlier time.'
    In a section entitled Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Communities the handbook confusingly states that the phrase 'lesbians and gay men' is likely to be satisfactory for most situations when talking about sexual orientation, but says ' homosexual' is 'best avoided' as the word is 'interpreted differently by many and relates to sexual practice as opposed to sexual orientation'.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    It's just to keep people from suing for emotional distress over trying to figure out why the nice officer said "good evening" instead of "good late afternoon."

And don't even get them started with "good evening, y'all!"

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Thats just plain stupid...
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    One of our guys likes to say "god bless you" to people. There was an official complaint years ago by someone. The orders came down. We are not allowed to say that or Merry Christmas to anyone. Any reference to any religion or religious figure is to be avoided

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    It's ok to try not to offend the people you serve, but this dept. has gone overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    but says ' homosexual' is 'best avoided' as the word is 'interpreted differently by many and relates to sexual practice as opposed to sexual orientation'.
    I disagree with that. In fact, I'd say it is the other way around. It does relate to orientation rather than to practice. A person is homosexual or heterosexual regardless of if they even have sex or not. The only close thing I'd say may get you into trouble is shortening it to just say "homo," if anyone within earshot might be offended, since the shortened version is often used as a slur as much as a descriptor.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Yeah....my last place of employment had a big deal about "Merry Christmas" too....but I did it anyway just to piss them off. That kind of political bull dooky just grinds my gears.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Why bother hiring humans? Just build some robots they can upload politically correct firmware to.

Sorry, didn't mean to be giving them any ideas. Actually this pisses me off to no end. Media has the citizenry scared of stepping on a cop's shadow, and rules like this, which I assume there's already a 100 pages of in your department policy manual, must make it increasingly difficult to deal with skittish sheep. A nation of lives get a little bit worse so someone can smile about the success of their memo.

I was wondering the other day how "1984" and "Atlas Shrugged" have been turned from cautionary tales into instructional manuals for modern politics. Shouldn't be surprised those same people mistook robotic cop movies for product demo tapes.

TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO
    I like to say "happy non-denominational winter holiday" just to piss them off. *thanks to Larry the cable guy. If you think it's bad out there, try the military.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXPO710 View Post
    I like to say "happy non-denominational winter holiday" just to piss them off.
    That would be insensitive to those who don't believe it's winter.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    MERRY
    CHRISTMAS
    EVERYONE !!!!
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    MERRY
    CHRISTMAS
    EVERYONE !!!!
    Today isn't Christmas! Now I'm going to need years of therapy to get over the cognitive dissonance!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Today isn't Christmas! Now I'm going to need more years of therapy to get over the liberal bullshit !
    You can do it, Jenna !!!
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    You can do it, Jenna !!!

Thread Information