Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Retired police officer attacked by bulldog

ST. PAUL, Minn. - A Minnesota man who rescued a bulldog from a shelter faces an uncertain future after the dog attacked him, severing an ear and tearing away the skin from most of his face.
    Fifty-three-year-old Jim Stewart of Woodbury had no issues with the dog since he got Igor five months ago. Housemate Amy Klinefelter says the dog was ``very sweet.''
    But on Sunday she heard a thumping in the basement, and went downstairs to find Igor standing over a barely conscious Stewart, blood spattered all around.

Full story
    Man loses ear, most of face in dog mauling

Maybe I'm not familiar with the breed, or the incident itself...but I would think you could avoid a bull dog attack by....standing up.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post

Maybe I'm not familiar with the breed, or the incident itself...but I would think you could avoid a bull dog attack by....standing up.

At least an attack to the face area.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    At least an attack to the face area.
    Yeah I'd think so. Who knows.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    It depends on what type of bulldog. Although most are familiar with an English Bulldog...there is another breed called an American Bulldog which is a very big, powerful breed of dog which would have the the ability to do that type of damage. But yikes...that would hurt and the dog is a danger for whatever reason. Sad to see the dog put to sleep but for whatever reason...might be in the best interest of safety. Wonder what really happened???
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    It depends on what type of bulldog. Although most are familiar with an English Bulldog...there is another breed called an American Bulldog which is a very big, powerful breed of dog which would have the the ability to do that type of damage. But yikes...that would hurt and the dog is a danger for whatever reason. Sad to see the dog put to sleep but for whatever reason...might be in the best interest of safety. Wonder what really happened???
    More commonly called a pit-bull. They are bred for fighting. Sadly the breed gets a bum rap because it is usually the individuals who train them are to blame. The dog only wants to please. I have heard that once this dog tastes blood or has killed or wounded, they are pretty much toast because they will do it again. High prey drive I guess. I would be extremely leery of any pit-bull coming from a shelter. Just don't know how it was trained. This is the breed of dog that Michael Vick was put in jail for if I remember correctly.

Once again the media doesn't tell the whole story.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    More commonly called a pit-bull. They are bred for fighting. Sadly the breed gets a bum rap because it is usually the individuals who train them are to blame. The dog only wants to please. I have heard that once this dog tastes blood or has killed or wounded, they are pretty much toast because they will do it again. High prey drive I guess. I would be extremely leery of any pit-bull coming from a shelter. Just don't know how it was trained. This is the breed of dog that Michael Vick was put in jail for if I remember correctly.

Once again the media doesn't tell the whole story.
    Not getting into the whole putbull argument again..as I seem to lose a lot and get tired of arguing ()...but the American Bulldog is NOT the same breed as a pitbull. They are a completely different breed of dog. As is the American Staffordshire Terrier. Although they are all fairly big, muscular dogs...they are different breeds! That is all.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    You're right, Wolven. I stand corrected. They just seem to get lumped into one category because most of us don't know the difference between the breeds.

I have a lot on my mind as of late, so please bear with me.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information