Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Gun dealer doing his part to keep firearms in responsible hands

Full article here, from Philly.com:

“Don’t lie for the other guy” | Philadelphia Daily News | 11/02/2009

"Don't Lie for the Other Guy"

ON THE GLASS cases featuring guns for sale at the Delaware Valley Sports Center, the stickers warn: "Don't Lie for the Other Guy."

Behind the cases, center manager Dwayne O'Brien stands ready to rat out scofflaws, with dozens of cops' numbers programmed on his cell phone, some on speed dial.
    You'd never suspect that this shop was once among the city's top crime-gun dealers, according to the Washington, D.C.-based Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

The center, using data supplied by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, ranked gun shops in 2000 by how many crime guns were traced back to them.

In Philly, the shop where O'Brien now works was in the top five.
    Gun dealers, the thinking goes, should be held accountable for their role in the gun violence that bloodies city streets. Careless or crooked gun dealers are just as guilty as the criminals who illegally use guns, firearm foes say.
    "You can't stop gun crime without targeting the source, which is corrupt gun dealers," said Daniel Vice, senior attorney at the Brady Center. "It's the same reason we target drug kingpins ."

That view vexes O'Brien.

His shop changed hands in 2006, and the new management has worked hard to overcome its thug-friendly reputation. While O'Brien loathes corrupt dealers as much as Vice, he says that conscientious merchants like himself get unfairly smeared by scapegoating zealots.
    "That's like holding a car dealership responsible when someone kills someone with a car - you cannot control what the consumer does with the product," O'Brien said. "The only thing you can do is make sure that gun gets in hands that are safe and legal."

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Don't Lie for the Other Guy
    Catchy rhyme!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Good for him.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    That phrase is on billboards all over the Chicago area. I started seeing them a couple months ago and again this weekend.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Angry

Hooray for the gun shop owner for the sentiment, but as for Vice, how the hell are legitimate gun dealers going to know which are straw sells? I thought this tactic was discredited long ago.

The people Vice and his cronies should go after are the customers who knowingly participate in the straw sells.

And although it might be good P.R., I don't think a sign on a gun shop door or on a billboard isn't going to have much effect - It takes putting putting the real offenders in jail to stop it.

Daniel Vice has a simple strategy for slowing the flow of guns into goons' hands.

Make 'em pay, starting at the source.

While cops and courts punish the person caught with an illegal firearm, Vice goes after the gun shops, suing them for liability on behalf of gun-violence victims and snagging some staggering sums.

When 10-year-old Faheem Thomas-Childs got caught in a 2004 gang shootout outside his North Philadelphia elementary school and died days later, Brady Center attorneys joined Philadelphia lawyers to sue the American Gun and Lock Club, in Fishtown.

The attorneys argued that the club negligently sold gang members, through a straw sale, the gun that was used to kill the third-grader. The case settled for an undisclosed amount in 2007.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information