Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Asst. Fire Chief dinged for speeding to a fire call

A Gibsonville fi refi ghter arrested last month on his way to an apartment fire no longer faces felony charges, but the district attorney's office won't say whether the traffi c offenses he racked up that day will stick.
    Gibsonville Fire Assistant Chief Joseph Loy was charged by Elon University campus police on Oct. 9 with flee/elude arrest, which is a felony, as well as speeding, failing to stop at a red light, reckless driving, failing to heed to a light or siren and unsafe passing yellow line.

Loy's daughter, Crystal Thompson, maintains that her father was on his way to a fire the night in question, and she doesn't think he should have been charged at all. The district attorney's office agreed, at least in regard to the flee/elude arrest charge.

Assistant District Attorney Pat Nadolski dismissed the felony charge Oct. 15. His reasoning was "insufficient evidence," according to court records.

"All evidence shows the defendant was acting in his capacity as an assistant volunteer fi re chief and was responding to a fire call concerning an apartment fire, that he drove to the Gibsonville Fire Department and stopped his vehicle at the Fire Department to respond to the fi re with other Gibsonville fi remen," court records state.

Nadolski said he couldn't comment on the other charges. District Attorney Rob Johnson said they will be disposed of in court, which means they could be either dismissed or prosecuted.

Thompson said her father was working at his shop on Haggard Avenue in Elon when the fire call came in at about 10 p.m. Oct. 9. Loy, who has volunteered with the department for more than 36 years, was driving the family's third vehicle at the time, and didn't have the strobe light that he typically turns on when responding to a fi re.

Loy put the vehicle's hazard lights on and headed to the Gibsonville Fire Department. Elon University Police Offi -- cer J. Tillotson pulled behind Loy on West Haggard Avenue near University Drive. Loy saw the police car behind him and saw the fl ashing lights, Thompson said.

"He thought it was a cop going to the fi re call," Thompson said.

Loy didn't think there was a problem. When he arrived at the Gibsonville Fire Department, he found out otherwise.

"He was getting ready to go on the (fire) truck and was handcuffed and slapped with a felony and fi ve traffi c violations," Thompson said. "It's really sad that a cop would do that to a fi reman."

Loy is accused of driving 55 mph in a 35 mph zone. He allegedly passed vehicles in a no-passing zone and went through a red traffic light, according to court records.

Thompson said that Loy tried to explain that he was a fi refighter, but the offi cer allegedly wouldn't listen. Loy was taken to the Alamance County magistrate's offi ce and charged.

"Even at the Police Department and at the Sheriff's Department, he tried to explain," she said. "The cop just wanted to keep throwing charges at him. They never asked him if he needed to call anybody. Luckily, we heard about it because they didn't ever give him a chance."

Click for the full story

N.C. Assistant Chief Busted For Speeding to Apartment Fire | Firehouse.com
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Yep.....definitely more to the story on this one.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge113 View Post
    Yep.....definitely more to the story on this one.
    No doubt. So if I take drive with some police cars running code in my POV would it be alright? No wait, I'll put my flashers on.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

ex401mp is offline Was betrachten Sie?
    Verified LEO
    All that idiot had to do was stop, explain what was up and I am willing to bet he would have been sent on his way once it was clarified. To say that he did not know that the police car following behind him with the lights and siren on wanted him to stop is an insult to everyone's intelligence.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. ~ Anon

si hic carrus commovet non quaerete

RIP Scott L. Roth- Pfc 1st Platoon,401st MP Co, KIA 12/20/89- Operation Just Cause- Not forgotten.
    ALWAYS FIRST!!!

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I bet that he makes sure that he has and uses that strobe light that he was issued next time. How else in the world is the LEO supposed to know that he is FD in a POV going to a call?

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    No doubt. So if I take drive with some police cars running code in my POV would it be alright? No wait, I'll put my flashers on.
    Maybe if your POV was a CV. Bonus points if it is white or black. Just kidding. Even so, it still wouldn't be allowed to my knowledge.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'll take:

"Prior history between the PD and FD for $1000, Alex"
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'll take:

The fact that is is a Volunteer FD makes it a Daily Double.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What part of yield to an emergency vehicle doesn't he understand?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'll take:

Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    The fact that is is a Volunteer FD makes it a Daily Double.
    The fact that it is the Asst. Fire Chief makes it Final Jeopardy.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ex401mp View Post
    All that idiot had to do was stop, explain what was up and I am willing to bet he would have been sent on his way once it was clarified. To say that he did not know that the police car following behind him with the lights and siren on wanted him to stop is an insult to everyone's intelligence.
    I agree. Yeah -- I'm sure there's some back story, too.

But, with no lights, no siren... the fire chief had no business driving like he was running code, either. That's one reason that I'm not a fan of vollies having lights for POVs... Yeah, in some places, they're needed but I think they need appropriate training, not just being given a light.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thread Information