Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Talking Rep. Cynthia McKinney Getting No Sympathy from Democratic Leadership

McKinney apologizes for run-in
    Congresswoman allegedly assaulted police officer
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGNGI4S3D1.DTL

Friday, April 7, 2006

Washington -- Under increasing pressure from House Democratic leaders, Rep. Cynthia McKinney took to the House floor Thursday to apologize for an incident in which she allegedly assaulted a Capitol police officer at a security checkpoint.

Since the incident last week, not one of McKinney's fellow 200 House Democratic colleagues had publicly defended her conduct in the incident...

The House's top Democrat, Rep. Nancy Pelosi of San Francisco, distanced herself from McKinney and publicly expressed increasing exasperation Thursday

...Witnesses to the incident, including an aide to Rep. Sam Farr, D-Carmel, testified Thursday before the grand jury.

...Just an hour [before McKinney's appology], Pelosi made it clear that McKinney... wasn't getting sympathy from the Democratic leadership.
    "I don't see any conceivable reason why anyone would strike a Capitol police officer. I have the greatest respect for the Capitol police," Pelosi told reporters.

Pelosi said the 535 members of the House and Senate have to help the police on Capitol Hill, ... "Members have a responsibility to help protect the Capitol, Congress and our constituents who visit us here," she added.

...House members from both parties and all races said they have also been challenged by police when they weren't wearing their lapel pins.

...McKinney's fellow Georgian and Democrat, civil rights pioneer Rep. John Lewis, has also been stopped, and reportedly told her to stop making an issue out of the incident.

Rules Committee chairman Rep. David Dreier, R-San Dimas (Los Angeles County), said he often doesn't wear his pin and gets stopped, especially when he enters on the Capitol's Senate side.

There was no reaction from federal prosecutors on whether McKinney's apology will have any effect on the grand jury proceedings.

==============
    But ok... now we know security isn't just based on facial recognition alone as I feared, but now let's talk about whether these "lapel pins" of theirs are secure RF electronic devices that cannot be counterfieted, or a just another vulnerable visual indicator that would be even more easily defeated than visual facial recognition.
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 04-07-06 at 03:45 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Cris1102 Guest
    HA HA HA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie
    Pelosi said the 535 members of the House and Senate have to help the police on Capitol Hill, ... "Members have a responsibility to help protect the Capitol, Congress and our constituents who visit us here," she added.
    I was wondering when someone was going to bring this part up. Has Mckinney never thought of the fact that they all have a responsibility other than boasting about being a big bad "Congresswoman" and the officer was just doing his job and protecting her and everyone else? Seems like people everywhere would be a little more understanding of security practices since 9/11 and appreciate the employees that actually do their job and their best to keep everyone safe. Not saying that people weren't doing their job prior to 9/11... I'm just saying.

She really makes me .....And I'd looove to slap that fake grin of her's off her face.
    Last edited by Cris1102; 04-07-06 at 03:45 PM.

Thread Information