Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Officer who shot Clemmons is hailed as a 'hero'

Nice to see that Seattle police officer Benjamin L. Kelly is getting recognition for taking Maurice Clemmons out but I'll bet he'll tell you that he was just doing his job. More at link

Officer who shot Clemmons is hailed as a 'hero'

Seattle police officer Benjamin L. Kelly is being hailed as a hero for his actions early Tuesday morning, in which he single-handedly shot and killed Maurice Clemmons, the man wanted in Sunday's killings of four Pierce County officers.

After an intense, two-day manhunt for Clemmons, Kelly had stopped to check out a stolen car parked on the side of a road in Rainier Valley. Clemmons was outside the car. Kelly recognized him from police bulletins and ordered him to put up his hands, police said. When he refused, Kelly shot Clemmons.

"It was incredible police work. He's an incredible officer. He is nothing short of a hero, although he would bristle at being called that," said Rich O'Neill, president of the Seattle Police Officers Guild, explaining that Kelly is a private person.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Officer Kelly would object to the characterization.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It seems to me that most "heroes" would object to the characterization. Who wants to be lauded as one who had to take another's life? The way I look at it is this. The taking of this life was a necessity and it had to be done. Otherwise this dirtbag most likely would have gone on to have murdered others. Thank God Ofc Kelly had the foresight and training to do so. My hope is that he doesn't lose any sleep over this or contract PTSD from it. That goes for any in LE that might have to take a life in the defense of others.

Every single cop murderer out there certainly deserves to be taken out of society, preferably by death in my opinion. If they are going to murder a cop, then they are going to murder anybody they come across, up to and including their own family. I'd just as soon they commit suicide and save you guys in LE the trouble, but this is a imperfect world and I can't have everything.

What I don't understand is this dirtbag was found to be a pedophile and a child rapist. Yet still his family was aiding and abetting him away from being captured? Either they were brainwashed or afraid that he might have retaliated against them is my guess. Or they were just plain stupid.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

thanantos is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    My union is gonna send him a case of beer.
    The truth is you're the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men.
    But I'm tryin' Ringo.
    I'm tryin'...real hard...to be the shepherd.

DSAM-MI.org

thanantos is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Yeah so, apparently sending beer through the mail is illegal (gimme a break) so we sent him a gift card to a Seattle brewery and a copy of a book that helped one of our guys through the aftermath of his shooting.

Both sent care of the Seattle Police Officer's Guild.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    And what most people probably don't realise is that if Clemmons had cooperated and complied he would now be in a comfy hospital bed and set up up for many long years as a prison hero.

Thank god for small mercies and he reverted to type in front of an officer who wasn't sat down with his back turned!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Thread Information