Welcome to the APBWeb.
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Unhappy Fort Hood cop says her career has been cut short

Fort Hood cop says her career has been cut short - Yahoo! News

FORT WORTH, Texas – One of two civilian police officers who brought down the Army psychiatrist accused of going on a shooting rampage at Fort Hood said her wounds from the attack will cut short her career as street police officer.

Sgt. Kimberly Munley said doctors have told her she needs a total knee replacement, a surgery set for January, but that her new knee is likely to wear out sooner if she runs or carries the 15- to 25-pound gear pack required by her job.

More...

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Hope her dept does right by her
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Sgt. Munley really needs to see this video. If nothing more than for motivational purposes. Ofc Remmel is back on duty on patrol at the CHP Jamestown office and he is a double amputee!!!!! It can be done. I wish the video clip showed his "bionic" legs that he was able to use to pass the running portion of his CHP physical qualifications.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdCAz_sTNG4"]YouTube - CHP Officer Seeks Return To Duty After Serious Injuries[/ame]

http://officerresource.com/forums/f5...ic-legs-20224/

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object...returns101.jpg

Click on pic 1 to see a pic of his prosthetic running legs. Tried to get a pic posted here but there is something wrong with the way the San Francisco Chronicle has the page posted.

The pic that TXCharlie has posted is off of her twitter page, according to the article. Maybe someone can post the links to her. I'm on there but not sure how to do it at the moment.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not good news. I pray this works out.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    "I do want to stay in law enforcement. I'm not going to be able to do what I did before, which is basically work the street," she told Wilmington, N.C., television station WECT on Wednesday. "It's going to give me another avenue to look in as far as possibly teaching and instructing."
    She'd be a great instructor. Hope it works out for her.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Hope her dept does right by her
    I hope so, too.

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    IF the dept doesnt do right, the public outcry would most likely make them change their minds. And hopefully, if she wants she can come back.....good healing thoughts to her.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Somethings in life just aren't fair and this is definately one of them

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Feel your pain , Sarge, feel your pain. Hope you find a niche that makes you happy and brings you a measure of satisfaction. Don't dwell on what you've loss because it does no good. It will just make you a continuing victim of the SOB. At least you have the knowledge that you suffered your injuries not in vain , but in a valiant act that saved many lives that day. I'm glad your still with us.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I'm hoping that once she has her new knee and recovers from that, she's one of these people who says that their artificial knee works better than the original. That seems to vary with the individual and what type of implant they get.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    I'm hoping that once she has her new knee and recovers from that, she's one of these people who says that their artificial knee works better than the original. That seems to vary with the individual and what type of implant they get.
    I hope she is, too. This week I've been helping out a friend who just had a knee replacement, he had the first one done 3 months ago and his mobility with that leg is almost 100%. This one was just replaced on Monday and while he's not able to run around the house, he's doing great with mobility considering it's so soon after the surgery. With the officer being young, in good physical condition, and motivated, she may be able to recover better than some may expect her to. I really, really hope that's the case.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolven View Post
    IF the dept doesn't do right, the public outcry would most likely make them change their minds. And hopefully, if she wants she can come back.....good healing thoughts to her.
    That's kind of what Ofc Remmel had to deal with. His whole rehabilitation thing and passing the qualifications to be able to come back to his patrol job with the California Highway Patrol was quite the political hot potato around here. If the CHP would not allow him the use of his specially built prosthetics, there would have been a lot of public outcry.

The only thing that he doesn't like about his current situation is that sometimes people will recognize him, purposely commit moving violations right in front of him, just to get his autograph on their citation. Some people.

I wish Sgt Kimberly Munley all the luck in the world. If her motivation is anything like Ofc Mike Remmel's there should be no stopping her from doing what she wants to do in life or LE. Teaching or working the street.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information