Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Family of fallen FF wants trucks replaced

The family of a Boston firefighter killed on duty says it's losing patience with city lawmakers.

NewsCenter 5's Janet Wu reported Friday that Kevin Kelley was the Boston firefighter killed when the brakes on his truck failed, sending it careening into a building in January. His family can't understand why the council won't consider a bill to have trucks replaced every 10 years.

Kelley's family said its grief is compounded by City Councilor Maureen Feeney's refusal to take up a bill before her government operation's committee.

"If Kevin had gone into a fire and died, tragic yes. Maybe there's some sense that's there. There's no sense in him dying because the brakes failed," Kelley's sister, Peggy Paulli, said.

Paulli said the ladder truck, which was 15 years old when the brakes failed and crashed into the building, should not have been on the road. City Councilor John Tobin filed a bill in June mandating that all fire trucks be replaced every 10 years.

More at the link
    Fallen Boston FF's Family Wants Trucks Replaced | Firehouse.com

Maybe it's just me, but I would think that considering a new truck is at a BARE MINIMUM $250,000...but realistically more in the neighborhood of $400,000+, proper use (not driving like an animal) and proper maintenance and a regular maintenance schedule would be more cost efficient than buying new trucks every 10 years. But again, maybe it's just me.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Around here most fire trucks are expected to have a 30 year service life. Even in those 30 years it rare to see one get over 100,000 miles. Like jmur said. maintenance is the key issue and responsible driving. You can't go carreening around corners with a 80,000 lbs rig and expect it to perform and respond like a sports car
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It's a sore spot for me because I've seen a TON of irresponsible driving from local firefighters. No less than 5 yrs ago I was one of them until I gained a little common sense. And obviously, cops are guilty of it too, but I see an awful lot from the guys in the red trucks.

I live less than a block from a 4 way stop intersection on one of the primary roads in the whole city, and almost daily I watch a fire truck blow through the intersection without so much as touching their brakes.

Like I said, cops do it too. But I see a lot more out of the firefighters. And I hate that people get hurt and killed as a result.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Yeah I'd like to see the reason the brakes failed. I would assume they are supposed to do a CDL type inspection every morning. Maybe she needs to go after truck inspection policy instead of just new trucks.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A well maintained rig will easily last 20-30 years. Our station just moved it's primary engine to a rescue, and replaced it with a new Ladder. The truck is a 1991 Pierce in great condition, but will probably serve another 5-10 as a heavy rescue.
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    They just bought a new ladder truck here (well the big city next to us) to replace a 1987 model. Price tag was a cool 1.2 million!

BigOSPig is offline Rookie of the Year 2011
    Either proper maintenance would have prevented this or the truck had defective parts, which falls back on the manufacturer or a parts supplier. Either way, there is no need to replace trucks at a set time frame. That being said, everyone loves FF's, so they will probably get a new truck every ten years at the expense of some other city budget.
    Remember your right to remain silent? You can go ahead and do that now.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Here's the rest of the story!!!

A Boston Fire Department contractor installed the wrong parts on Ladder 26 several months before it crashed, killing a firefighter at in early January, according to The Boston Globe.
    The newspaper reviewed the police report from a recent investigation, which found the contractor replaced a brake chamber and pads on the ladder truck in spring of 2008, significantly decreasing the stopping power of the vehicle.
    It also found that firefighters not licensed as mechanics repeatedly adjusted the brakes and may have masked underlying problems.
    The decreased braking power played a role in the brake failure that occurred as Ladder 26 sped down a hill before slamming into an apartment building on Jan. 9, killing Lt. Kevin M. Kelley, according to the report.

More at the link
    Wong Parts in Boston Truck Crash | Firehouse.com

Thread Information