Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Judge arms herself amid safety fears

Interested on everyone's take on this:

Jefferson County judge arms herself amid safety fears | Stories from The Birmingham News - al.com

Jefferson County judge arms herself amid safety fears

By Erin Stock -- The Birmingham News

December 26, 2009, 5:32AM

Jefferson County Domestic Judge Suzanne Childers keeps a can of pepper spray next to the gavel in her courtroom. A diminished level of security at the courthouse also has prompted her to keep the gun seen on her desk in her courtroom. (Joe Songer/Birmingham News)Jefferson County Domestic Relations Judge Suzanne Childers was hearing a child support case a few weeks ago when she became afraid for two female attorneys in the courtroom and set off her panic device.
    It took 40 minutes before anyone arrived in response to her call, Childers said.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    40 minutes?!?!?!?!?!? If she's a responsible gun owner, the by all means. If all of the John Q's in this country would responsibly carry a gun, then I think it'd be safer.

A slight aside, though....it's probably just a photo op, but it doesn't feel all that responsible to keep your gun on your desk, especially if your "office" is an open courtroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Judges carry a gun for the same reason other people do. An old California case seems to make the point.
    Harold Haley at AllExperts
    Harold Haley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    NW Republican: Judge Harold Haley, R.I.P.

Interesting about the "who" on that case, on that day.
    Nation: Justice: A Bad Week for the Good Guys - TIME
    TIME magazine has been re-defining "truth" a long time.

I have met attorneys and Judges who "pack" in the courtrooms, but I forgot who they are and where that was. They have the right, and the need, just as every law abiding citizen; may they never forget we ALL have that right.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbear111 View Post

I have met attorneys and Judges who "pack" in the courtrooms, but I forgot who they are and where that was. They have the right, and the need, just as every law abiding citizen; may they never forget we ALL have that right.
    Sadly I think alot of them have
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    My sister used to carry a .357 Magnum to court, and to law school. She was a family practice lawyer, and most of the court buildings either didn't have metal detectors at that time, or else she went in the back employee doors in the buildings, bypassing the metal detectors I think.

The judge would be smarter to have a hip holster - What's to prevent an athletic defendant from jumping across the table, running up and grabbing her gun before anyone has time to react? It would make me nervous as Hell worrying about the defendant or a friend in the crowd grabbing the gun while the judge is distracted by a witness or something, if it's just laying there on the bench in the open.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Judges here can carry, although few do.

For the little foibles - if she were my judge I'd train her.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Good for her, but her weapon retention is horrible. The article says she keeps the gun seen on her desk.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Good for her, but her weapon retention is horrible. The article says she keeps the gun seen on her desk.
    She will keep it there until someone grabs it and shows here the meaning of gun retention, one last time..........
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I agree with everyone else, great she has it but a stupid place to keep it...
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

triggerpull is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Seems to me she probably doesn't have the mindset to use the weapon, so she instead uses it as a deterrent by putting it in plain view. Obviously not the smartest thing, especially with a revolver.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerpull View Post
    Seems to me she probably doesn't have the mindset to use the weapon, so she instead uses it as a deterrent by putting it in plain view. Obviously not the smartest thing, especially with a revolver.
    I would have to initially agree. The mainstream mindset of gun ownership focuses more on the right to own a firearm instead of the ability to use one. There is ownership and then there is responsible ownership. Keeping a firearm on the desk is ridiculous and no responsible firearm owner would present it like that. This is nothing more than an "Oh don't mess with me I have a gun." mentality. Her hands look similar in size to mine and although I would and could shoot such a large firearm I would not choose one like that. Someone will take it from her, kill six people quickly, and club the rest to death with it.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I would have to initially agree. The mainstream mindset of gun ownership focuses more on the right to own a firearm instead of the ability to use one. There is ownership and then there is responsible ownership. Keeping a firearm on the desk is ridiculous and no responsible firearm owner would present it like that. This is nothing more than an "Oh don't mess with me I have a gun." mentality. Her hands look similar in size to mine and although I would and could shoot such a large firearm I would not choose one like that. Someone will take it from her, kill six people quickly, and club the rest to death with it.

Bingo. Every know and then I would have someone I go to church with ask if I was carrying off duty. My standard reply is, "I don't remember." Unless I'm working you will never see a gun on me.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Bingo. Every know and then I would have someone I go to church with ask if I was carrying off duty. My standard reply is, "I don't remember." Unless I'm working you will never see a gun on me.
    Now that's a scary reply!

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    A remote detonated Claymore aimed at the defense table makes more sense.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I like it.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post

Car 4
    But that would get the lawyer too...............oh I get it.

Bama512 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Yep, I am all for the judge having a gun. However, putting it out on the bench in front of her is dumb. Also, putting that in the paper pointing out that she has it on the bench is dumb. Now, the thugs don't have to formulate a plan on how to smuggle a gun into court, they already got one there - location well announced!

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    See, I read that a little different. I think they may have left out punctuation. I may have read it wrong, but I read it with the added commas in bold "to keep the gun, seen on her desk, in her courtroom"

I just figured that it was on the desk for the photo op. If I'm wrong, I think we should chip in to send Maclean over there to teach her a few things, before something bad happens and the anti-gun circles jump on it to champion their case.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post

Car 4
    That sounds like a plan. Reps!!!
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Pelicandriver is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    The gun in the picture is on her desk in her private office. It's probably a photo op. I'm doubt that she keeps it sitting on the bench in plain view.

Having no security in a court, especially a family law court, is an insane invitation to trouble.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information