Welcome to the APBWeb.
    213th is offline Solipsist

Income based Traffic Fines

GENEVA European countries are increasingly pegging speeding fines to income as a way to punish wealthy scofflaws who would otherwise ignore tickets.
    Advocates say a $290,000 speeding ticket slapped on a millionaire Ferrari driver in Switzerland was a fair and well-deserved example of the trend.
    Germany, France, Austria and the Nordic countries also issue punishments based on a person's wealth. In Germany the maximum fine can be as much as $16 million compared to only $1 million in Switzerland. Only Finland regularly hands out similarly hefty fine to speeding drivers, with the current record believed to be a $190,000 ticket in 2004.
    The Swiss court appeared to set a world record when it levied the fine in November on a man identified in the Swiss media only as "Roland S." Judges in the eastern canton of St. Gallen described him as a "traffic thug" in their verdict, which only recently came to light.

"As far as we're concerned this is very good," Sabine Jurisch, a road safety campaigner with the Swiss group Road Cross.
    She said rich drivers were lightly punished until Swiss voters approved a 2007 penal law overhaul that let judges hand down fines based on personal income and wealth for moderate misdemeanors including excessive speeding and drunk driving. Before, they had to assign relatively small fixed penalties or rarely a few days in prison.

full story at
    Europe Slapping Rich With Massive Traffic Fines - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Thank God for equal protection under the law here. That is insane.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Thats ridiculous.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

KaiGywer is online now *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    While kinda ridiculous, it also makes sense. If you're a multimillionaire, a $100-200 ticket means absolutely nothing to you. For somebody making minimum wage, that ticket is punishment. So by adjusting the ticket, it's now a punishment to everybody.
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    While kinda ridiculous, it also makes sense. If you're a multimillionaire, a $100-200 ticket means absolutely nothing to you. For somebody making minimum wage, that ticket is punishment. So by adjusting the ticket, it's now a punishment to everybody.
    It might make sense there, but it does not make sense here in light of our constitutional protection against class.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    "Advocates say a $290,000 speeding ticket slapped on a millionaire Ferrari driver in Switzerland was a fair and well-deserved example of the trend... In the latest Swiss case, the court took into account the man's history of similar offenses, the high speed with which he drove through a small village (60 miles an hour, nearly twice the 30 mph limit), and his estimated personal wealth of over $20 million."

First of all I believe that there should be equal punishment no matter who you are.

$290,000 / $20,000,000 "estimated" wealth = 0.0145%

Even if you're an advocate for a sliding scale I think that if you multiply your personal wealth by that rate the fine seems high. I'm not certain how they "estimated" his wealth, but I tried adding up the savings in my bank account, vehicle value and the equity in my home. After multiplying my estimated wealth by 0.0145% the resulting fine by that scale would be significantly higher than the amount I'd pay, for a 30 over ticket, with the system currently in place in my state. Sometimes the system here frustrates me, but the Swiss system does not seem fair.

The logic behind it doesn't make sense either. Punishing people who ignore tickets? If the fine is such a trivial amount to the motorists they would probably just pay it without care. I expect more people would dispute the ticket if the fine was especially heavy, as in the example above. Or if they do ignore the ticket, suspend their privilege to drive for failing to answer the summons.

If there is a point system in place to punish habitual offenders, I think it will work across the board. It doesn't matter if you're driving a Hyundai or a Bugatti. You're going to regret it when your car is impounded and you're chained to a bench waiting to see a judge to answer for your suspensions.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Verified LEO
    "Equal protection" wouldn't do squat to prevent that here. Financial status isn't a suspect classification like race, gender, religion, et al., meaning strict or intermediate scrutiny wouldn't apply. Rational basis scrutiny would apply, and the law would almost certainly pass that test.

We already have significant financial status based laws in effect (tax laws, for example). The only thing keeping that from passing here is unpopularity.

Thread Information