Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

How not to teach a lesson to teenage CJ students

Only on 12: Employee surprises students in class, ends up tackled

AIKEN COUNTY, S.C.---A learning exercise in a criminal justice class lands one Aiken County school employee in the hospital.
    Having a masked, intruder burst into class without warning was where the lesson started, but that's not exactly where it stopped.
    The exercise at the Aiken Career Center was meant to teach students how to remember key features of a suspect. The only problem, at least one student didn't know the suspect was fake.
    It was supposed to be a lesson in law enforcement, but in an instant things changed Tuesday at the Aiken Career Center. That's when parents say a masked employee, playing the part of an intruder busted into a criminal justice classroom.
    One student, a 17-year-old boy heard someone yell for help, and reacted-- tackling the employee.
    "I'm sure it was just a scary situation for all the kids. I imagine his parents are upset too," says parent Fred Munns.
    Munns has two 17-year-old boys and can't imagine what they would have done. "It's scary. With all the violence, I think it's understandable that he would react in the way that he did," says Munns.
    Teachers say the goal was for student's to learn to remember an intruder's characteristics.
    "First, you need to cut that off, cause we weren't going to do this on camera. I'll go through it again with you but not on camera," Assistant Superintendent, Dr. Tim Yarborough tells News 12.
    Dr. Yarborough refused to talk about the incident on camera, but did say off camera the exercise may be changed in the future.
    "I think they should have given them a little heads up, let them know what was going on," says Munns.
    The school focuses on a hands on education for young adults. "The goal of the Career and Technology Education Center is to recruit and educate kids that are very directed and know exactly what they want to do and want to reach their goals as quickly as possible," adds Dr. Yarborough.
    "It's a good idea that they had, but I think catching them by surprise...It's just too dangerous," says Munns.
    A real life lesson, one student learned the hard way.
    The assistant superintendent says the employee was checked out at the hospital and will be just fine.
    As for the student, News 12 did talk with his parents. They say he was very upset and did talk with the school counselor.
    The assistant superintendent also tells News 12 it was not the first time this specific lesson has been used.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

We had an instructor do something like this to us last year in the academy. He was teaching and some guy ran in and shot him with a cap gun. We all just sat there. I think we were just happy it shut him up.

Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    hm..probably not the best lesson to use with high school kids.

When I was in college our instructor just had some woman walk in and interrupt the class to speak with him. They talked for a few minutes in front of all of us, and then he made us describe her. I think that's a better way of doing that exercise.

Oh, and the kid had to talk to a counselor??? about what?!?!?!
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This happened in our academy with the suspect holding a firearm with blanks in it. I then knew why we were not allowed to have firearms. It would have been a brief class.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    The simulation was a bad idea, but that kid who tackled the "intruder" sounds like a real sheepdog. If the intruder had been real, the kid might have saved everyone's lives.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    The simulation was a bad idea, but that kid who tackled the "intruder" sounds like a real sheepdog. If the intruder had been real, the kid might have saved everyone's lives.
    i agree...that kids bad ass
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    The actor is lucky the kid didn't whomp him upside the head with a chair, or worse.

That's almost as dumb as the restaurant manager who simulated a robbery in front of customers so that he could test his employees - Any of whom might have shot the actor if they'd been carrying concealed without the manager knowing it (they're not likely to tell the manager if they were).

I get it that the lesson might be valuable, but the cost could have been great.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thread Information