Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Doomsday clock pushed back 1 minute

The world has inched further away from doom and nuclear disaster, said a group of respected scientists that includes 19 Nobel Laureates. The symbolic Doomsday Clock has been moved back a minute, reflecting the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists' more optimistic view of the world's chances of avoiding catastrophic threats such as nuclear attacks.
    The clock is now set at six minutes to midnight, with midnight representing a nuclear apocalypse, according to the group, which is based in Chicago, Illinois.
    "We are poised to bend the arc of history toward a world free of nuclear weapons. For the first time since atomic bombs were dropped in 1945, leaders of nuclear weapons states are cooperating to vastly reduce their arsenals and secure all nuclear bomb-making material," the scientists said in a statement Thursday.
    The Doomsday Clock was created in 1947 and had been adjusted only 18 times before Thursday, the group said.
    The closest it has been to midnight is two minutes, from 1953 to 1960, after the Soviet Union and the United States stepped up testing of thermonuclear devices.
    The farthest has been 17 minutes, from 1991 to 1995, after the signing of the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty.
    More here: Doomsday clock pushed back 1 minute - CNN.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm glad that the nuts still get press time.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    No doubt that it was one of Obama's speeches that did it... I'm sure that N. Korea and Iran stopped research & development on all nuclear missiles immediately after hearing the speech

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    No doubt that it was one of Obama's speeches that did it... I'm sure that N. Korea and Iran stopped research & development on all nuclear missiles immediately after hearing the speech
    Good one, Chuck.

Car 4

Reps
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Thread Information