Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Her Crime? Sex Work in New Orleans

Tabitha has been working as a prostitute in New Orleans since she was 13. Now 30 years old, she can often be found working on a corner just outside of the French Quarter. A small and slight white woman, she has battled both drug addiction and illness and struggles every day to find a meal or a place to stay for the night.
    These days, Tabitha, who asked that her real name not be used in this story, has yet another burden: a stamp printed on her driver’s license labels her a sex offender. Her crime? Sex work.New Orleans city police and the district attorney’s office are using a state law written for child molesters to charge hundreds of sex workers like Tabitha as sex offenders. The law, which dates back to 1805, makes it a crime against nature to engage in “unnatural copulation”—a term New Orleans cops and the district attorney’s office have interpreted to mean anal or oral sex. Sex workers convicted of breaking this law are charged with felonies, issued longer jail sentences and forced to register as sex offenders. They must also carry a driver’s license with the label “sex offender” printed on it.
    Her Crime? Sex Work in New Orleans By Jordan Flaherty

Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    You know I am torn on this subject

I myself would never go this route but if someone used a hooker so they could do whatever they wish instead of commit crimes of rape etc. so be it.

Make it a taxable business for government to make more money, like the bunny ranch in NV.

I dont know, have to control it though so diesease etc. does not spread
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    The law, which dates back to 1805, makes it a crime against nature to engage in “unnatural copulation”—a term New Orleans cops and the district attorney’s office have interpreted to mean anal or oral sex.
    Guilty.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Guilty.
    You're a sex offender now, Mac! hehehe
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    On the upside, if Louisiana bans sex offenders from social networks, Tabitha will be saved from being exposed to Facebook.

If you support this I'd be interested to hear why.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Guilty.
    Article 125 of the UCMJ.....
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    On the upside, if Louisiana bans sex offenders from social networks, Tabitha will be saved from being exposed to Facebook.

If you support this I'd be interested to hear why.
    I am supportive of sex offenders being policed, period. I am a huge fan of parental involvement of children being supervised while online or don't let them online. I see the need to police prostitution. The standard reasons. Spreading disease, rape, endangerment etc. However I am not necessarily a fan of branding them sex offenders.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I am supportive of sex offenders being policed, period. I am a huge fan of parental involvement of children being supervised while online or don't let them online. I see the need to police prostitution. The standard reasons. Spreading disease, rape, endangerment etc. However I am not necessarily a fan of branding them sex offenders.
    I'm not a fan of applying unconstitutional laws about what kind of sex someone can have.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    As with most situations, enter the reasonability of the police officer...

Real world experience in this State tells me that I have never, ever, seen someone criminally charged for having whatever consentual sexual intercourse they personally prefer, as long as it falls within the bounds of reason. (Let's not do the "what is reasonable..." thing here, either. Just insert common sense here _____).

Sorry... I refuse to have a heartbleed because a prostitute is registered as a sex offender. She qualifies well enough for me, under whatever way you wish to apply the statute.

Show me a guy who's wife or girlfriend got pissy and files a formal report that he likes oral sex or giving it to her in the can, (which she took part in under the duress of losing his affections, or whatever), and I'll say that neither should have to register, but a hooker being tagged? Meh...

Yes, the letter of the law is... blah blah. I've honestly never seen a cop charge someone with what they do in the privacy of their own home, or in a personal relationship (non-forced, and with someone capable of consent). That, to me, makes this story once again a large whine about... nothing.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information