Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Pudge's Avatar
    Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    12-04-05
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10,320
    Rep Power
    8591418

    Ohio Police Chief Defends Driver Who Didn't Intervene in Roadside Rape

    TOLEDO, Ohio An Ohio police chief is defending a driver who called 911 but didn't do more to stop a woman from being raped along a street in broad daylight.



    Ohio Police Chief Defends Driver Who Didn't Intervene in Roadside Rape - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

    Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

    www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

    The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

  2. #2
    pgg's Avatar
    pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    06-16-08
    Location
    Fled the Emerald Triangle
    Posts
    10,998
    Rep Power
    4007681
    Isn't that all that politicians and admin want people to do anymore? Call 911 and stand and wring your hands? Its rare now a days for someone to take a stand. The wussification of America.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

  3. #3
    lewisipso's Avatar
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    02-02-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    14,725
    Rep Power
    6962511
    To bad she wasn't armed.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

    We are who we choose to be.

    R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012


  4. #4
    Second Chance's Avatar
    Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Join Date
    03-27-08
    Location
    Phoenix, Az.
    Posts
    2,745
    Rep Power
    937236
    How can people just stand there and do nothing..........sad
    Swamp Mafia





    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

    Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122





    Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

  5. #5
    Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    04-16-06
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    4,126
    Rep Power
    6563843
    I've got mixed feelings.

    At least the driver called it in. I'll give her credit for that. (And the others mentioned in the article, too. 'Cause too damn many figure that someone else will call it in and do nothing.)

    The article describes the driver as female; whether because of gender, health, physical capability -- she may not have been able to effectively intervene physically.

    At the same time --- I don't see how I could have stood by and simply called it in. Of course, that might be why I'm a cop...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

    TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

    "Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

    All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

  6. #6
    Xiphos's Avatar
    Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    03-09-08
    Location
    Thermopylae
    Posts
    8,380
    Rep Power
    7772241
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    I've got mixed feelings.

    At least the driver called it in. I'll give her credit for that. (And the others mentioned in the article, too. 'Cause too damn many figure that someone else will call it in and do nothing.)

    The article describes the driver as female; whether because of gender, health, physical capability -- she may not have been able to effectively intervene physically.

    At the same time --- I don't see how I could have stood by and simply called it in. Of course, that might be why I'm a cop...
    My thoughts exactly.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

    That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

    If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

    I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

    Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

  7. #7
    HudsonHawk's Avatar
    HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    01-17-06
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,536
    Rep Power
    1710442
    The perp might have been a big 15 year old, but I imagine with a tire iron the female driver could have solved the problem prior to police arrival.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

  8. #8
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,380
    Rep Power
    4817859
    If I were the witness, I would have called 911, honked at the rapist, told him I had called 911, and tried to verbally persuade him to stop raping the victim, but I wouldn't have gotten out of the car and tried to physically stop him either, since he could rape and/or kill me as well (especially if he has a gun, and one has to assume that anyone might have a gun). If he started shooting at me I would have driven away as quickly as possible and called 911 only after getting too far away for him to shoot me. If I were carrying a gun and felt confident about using LEO style tactics to get him to stop and shoot him if he did not stop, I might have done that, but it's not clear whether the witness in this case was even armed. If I couldn't talk him out of continuing with the rape and weren't carrying a gun, I wouldn't have done anything more than what this witness did. I think the witness did the right thing by calling 911 and shouldn't be blamed for not doing more unless it was clear that she had the ability to do more. At least she didn't just ignore it and drive away without calling 911 as many others might have.

  9. #9
    Five-0's Avatar
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    05-15-06
    Posts
    10,982
    Rep Power
    8357019
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    How can people just stand there and do nothing..........sad
    I would tell you, but I'm just going to call someone else on the board and get them to do it for me.

    Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

    The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

  10. #10
    Radar's Avatar
    Radar is offline We all bleed blue
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-18-06
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    877
    Rep Power
    1234963
    Hi, Five-0 called and asked me to come say something in this thread but he forgot to tell me what to say.



    I will say this, I wish the public today would do more, but I can understand people not feeling comfortable and safe enough to do more than call police.

    In a perfect world all law abiding citizens would carry concealed, everyone would know and understand firearm safety and marksmenship, criminals would be afraid of everyone and anyone who saw them, and people would walk up or pull up next to a cop everytime they see one and say thank you for keeping us safe.

    But none of us live in a perfect world and I can't remember when the last time somebody thanked me, but I've already heard "go to hell pig" twice this week.
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder


    "Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

    "How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

  11. #11
    Jenna's Avatar
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    06-11-06
    Posts
    24,380
    Rep Power
    4817859
    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Hi, Five-0 called and asked me to come say something in this thread but he forgot to tell me what to say.



    I will say this, I wish the public today would do more, but I can understand people not feeling comfortable and safe enough to do more than call police.

    In a perfect world all law abiding citizens would carry concealed, everyone would know and understand firearm safety and marksmenship, criminals would be afraid of everyone and anyone who saw them, and people would walk up or pull up next to a cop everytime they see one and say thank you for keeping us safe.

    But none of us live in a perfect world and I can't remember when the last time somebody thanked me, but I've already heard "go to hell pig" twice this week.
    In my perfect world, no one would need guns because no one would commit crimes. Everyone would just be nice to each other, LEOs would be needed mainly to rescue people in accidents and natural disasters, and everyone would be thanking LEOs all the time for that, as well as helping with rescue efforts whenever possible.

    The fact that we don't live in a perfect world is all the more reason to thank LEOs for keeping us safe from those who make the world far from perfect.

  12. #12
    TXCharlie's Avatar
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Join Date
    12-29-05
    Location
    Dallas Area
    Posts
    5,528
    Rep Power
    3224965
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    To bad she wasn't armed.
    A car makes a pretty good weapon - I have a feeling the rapist would have tried to run away first upon seeing a car speeding toward him honking the horn, allowing for a much better sight picture...

    But I've never been in a situation to put that to the test, so it's only armchair quarterbacking..

    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

  13. #13
    Ace's Avatar
    Ace
    Ace is offline haud pacis pro scelestus
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    12-19-05
    Posts
    648
    Rep Power
    218818
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    A car makes a pretty good weapon - I have a feeling the rapist would have tried to run away first upon seeing a car speeding toward him honking the horn, allowing for a much better sight picture...

    But I've never been in a situation to put that to the test, so it's only armchair quarterbacking..
    Plus there's the whole running over the victim part as well...
    RIP Sarah Noll~11-8-87 to 4-17-08

  14. #14
    Ducky's Avatar
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-05-05
    Location
    Handbasket, enroute to somewhere hot.
    Posts
    11,108
    Rep Power
    7439166
    For all we know, the caller was 80 years old and infirm.

    That said, an able bodied person can wield a baseball bat with surprising effect.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q


  15. #15
    lewisipso's Avatar
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    02-02-07
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    14,725
    Rep Power
    6962511
    I have known a few people that wish they had crossed the line when they had the chance. The opportunity to do so is often times fleeting and not for the faint of heart. Hesitation in doing so can not only produce the intended victim but possibly two. It is a coin toss as to whether you should or shouldn't. That being said all but one of the persons I knew had a great dose of guilt for not doing so. Decisions are sometimes a hard thing to live with. Consequences abound.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

    We are who we choose to be.

    R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012


  16. #16
    CTR man's Avatar
    CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    05-20-06
    Location
    Ceres, CA
    Posts
    4,965
    Rep Power
    1169037
    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Hi, Five-0 called and asked me to come say something in this thread but he forgot to tell me what to say.



    I will say this, I wish the public today would do more, but I can understand people not feeling comfortable and safe enough to do more than call police.

    In a perfect world all law abiding citizens would carry concealed, everyone would know and understand firearm safety and marksmenship, criminals would be afraid of everyone and anyone who saw them, and people would walk up or pull up next to a cop everytime they see one and say thank you for keeping us safe.

    But none of us live in a perfect world and I can't remember when the last time somebody thanked me, but I've already heard "go to hell pig" twice this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    In my perfect world, no one would need guns because no one would commit crimes. Everyone would just be nice to each other, LEOs would be needed mainly to rescue people in accidents and natural disasters, and everyone would be thanking LEOs all the time for that, as well as helping with rescue efforts whenever possible.

    The fact that we don't live in a perfect world is all the more reason to thank LEOs for keeping us safe from those who make the world far from perfect.
    I would like to think that I would step up to the plate if called upon and if the opportunity presented itself. I know I'm in the minority. California residency be damned.

    I'm going to side with Jenna here. In a perfect world, there would be no criminals because they would already be in hell for their deeds. But alas we are not in heaven yet. So there is a greater need for those who do what you do. I, for one, really appreciate that. Thank You from THIS civilian for doing what you do from the depths of my heart and fiber of my being.


    Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

    Not a LEO

    In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.









  17. #17
    tapout's Avatar
    tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-08-06
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    1,554
    Rep Power
    1618735
    turn the tables for a second...you are driving along in your personal car, and you see a two suspect, single victim armed (handgun) street robbery happen on the corner. you also see one of the suspects hit the victim with his gun, knock him down, and start pounding on him while the other covers him with his firearm. youre not armed (i know i know some of you guys are always armed, but i usually dont carry, so lets say im not armed). no chance im getting out of my car to intervene. ill call 911 and be a damn good witness. if i can safely follow the suspects as they flee to see where they go, i may do that too. but im not getting killed. and if my wife or kids were in the vehicle, the absolute only thing i would do is call 911, give a description, and get my family the fuck out of there.

    its all about perception. if the witness was scared to take action and feared her life would be in danger if she did, i dont blame her. there are situations where i would not dare intervene, and there are situations where i would definitely intervene. an incident where an actual rape is occurring on the side of the road right in front of me is one of those situations that i probably would intervene regardless of any other circumstances. but i wouldnt expect a 110 lb female whos never been in a fight in her life to risk her life by trying to physically stop someone from attacking a stranger.

    all im required to do when off duty is take some form of action...depending on the circumstances, that action could be as a simple as call 911.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.


    the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

  18. #18
    pgg's Avatar
    pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    06-16-08
    Location
    Fled the Emerald Triangle
    Posts
    10,998
    Rep Power
    4007681
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Plus there's the whole running over the victim part as well...
    First thing I though of after reading his post lol
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

  19. #19
    dadyswat's Avatar
    dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    02-16-06
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    984
    Rep Power
    449917
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    A car makes a pretty good weapon - I have a feeling the rapist would have tried to run away first upon seeing a car speeding toward him honking the horn, allowing for a much better sight picture...

    But I've never been in a situation to put that to the test, so it's only armchair quarterbacking..
    You're not susposed to run over the victim.

  20. #20
    Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    04-16-06
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    4,126
    Rep Power
    6563843
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    turn the tables for a second...you are driving along in your personal car, and you see a two suspect, single victim armed (handgun) street robbery happen on the corner. you also see one of the suspects hit the victim with his gun, knock him down, and start pounding on him while the other covers him with his firearm. youre not armed (i know i know some of you guys are always armed, but i usually dont carry, so lets say im not armed). no chance im getting out of my car to intervene. ill call 911 and be a damn good witness. if i can safely follow the suspects as they flee to see where they go, i may do that too. but im not getting killed. and if my wife or kids were in the vehicle, the absolute only thing i would do is call 911, give a description, and get my family the fuck out of there.

    its all about perception. if the witness was scared to take action and feared her life would be in danger if she did, i dont blame her. there are situations where i would not dare intervene, and there are situations where i would definitely intervene. an incident where an actual rape is occurring on the side of the road right in front of me is one of those situations that i probably would intervene regardless of any other circumstances. but i wouldnt expect a 110 lb female whos never been in a fight in her life to risk her life by trying to physically stop someone from attacking a stranger.

    all im required to do when off duty is take some form of action...depending on the circumstances, that action could be as a simple as call 911.
    Tapout's got an important point here. Off duty, we don't have all the gear that we do while working. I typically have one form of restraint, one spare mag, and a gun. No baton, no OC, no Taser... and especially no vest. When I'm off duty, if I'm out somewhere there's at least a 50/50 chance that I've got my wife and/or kid in the car with me. All of that has to figure in on the decision about what action to take. Just like it's sometimes the right thing to get the hell out and wait for backup while on duty -- it's even more so when you're off the clock. Sometimes, the best choice is to be a good witness...

    In this particular case, we don't know much about this 911 caller -- but we do know they called. There are lots of reasons (covered by various folks) why they may not have intervened directly. I respect and applaud that they at least called it in.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

    TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

    "Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

    All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •