Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

New federal prohibition against texting for drivers of commercial trucks and buses

Drivers of commercial trucks and buses will be prohibited from texting under federal guidelines that U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood is issuing Tuesday. "We want the drivers of big rigs and buses and those who share the roads with them to be safe,"LaHood said in a statement. "This is an important safety step, and we will be taking more to eliminate the threat of distracted driving."
    The prohibition is effective immediately. Truck and bus drivers who text while driving commercial vehicles may be subject to civil or criminal penalties of up to $2,750, the Department of Transportation said in a news release.
    The release did not offer specifics on how the prohibition will be enforced.
    More here: New rule for truck, bus drivers: No texting - CNN.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This is so stupid. How can you determine if someone is texting or dialing the phone? If I stopped someone I can't demand to see their phone and search it under the 4th Amendement, nor am I going to for a violation. Until the use of a phone or other devices(yes even GPS) in any compacity is banned while a vehicle is on the roadway this is nothing but lip service.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

sweetpea is offline Master Officer
    No body should be texting and driving.... I do at red lights but have broke myself from doing while driving.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f.../ukbluejw2.gif

"When you feel dog tired at night, it may be because you've growled all day long."

Radar is offline We all bleed blue
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    They should figure out how to incorporate a gps lock on texting. Once you get above say 15-20 mph your phone itself won't allow you to text or surf the Internet until you've stopped again. This would suck for passengers, but if all phones were setup this way it could save lives.
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder

"Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

"How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

Thread Information