Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Mayor wants trial of accused 9/11 mastermind held in his small impoverished town because it might bring economic boost and lower crime

Newburgh, New York, was a main military headquarters for George Washington during the American Revolution. More recently, authorities say, it was the birthplace of a foiled terrorist plot.

If Mayor Nick Valentine gets his way, the town of 30,000 will host the terror trial of accused 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four alleged accomplices.

"We've got nothing to lose," said Valentine, who also runs a tailor shop.

About 60 miles up the Hudson River from New York City, Newburgh struggles with poverty, unemployment and crime. In 2004, the town was dubbed the third worst metropolitan area in the country.

"Sometimes, we're the top five in crime, which is not a very good recognition," said Valentine, a lifelong resident. "We struggle with everything."

That's why, he said, the trial would be a boon for his town. The influx of security personnel would chase the bad people out; journalists and lawyers in town for the trial would provide a much-needed economic boost.

"People have said: If you have a trial, bad guys will come. My comment back to them: We've got bad guys right now," the mayor said.

"If I had a police presence here for an extended period of time, this place would be a safer place. And in the end ... the city of Newburgh would be up a couple notches than where it was before."
    More here: Town of George Washington's HQ could be 9/11 trial site - CNN.com

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That's out of the box thinking right there.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Considering that if you held the trial there someone could not fart without an FBI, DHS, or DOD person smelling it, the guy has a point.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Outside of target practice you should get some use out of a terrorist.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Thread Information