Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Mid-Atlantic shuts down ahead of huge snow warning

WASHINGTON Life in the nation's capital ground to a halt Friday as steady snow fell, the beginning of a storm that forecasters said could be the biggest in modern history.

A record 2 1/2 feet or more was predicted for Washington, where snow was falling heavily by evening, with big amounts expected elsewhere throughout the Mid-Atlantic. Authorities already were blaming the storm for hundreds of accidents and the deaths of father-son Samaritans in Virginia.

Mid-Atlantic shuts down ahead of huge snow warning - Yahoo! News

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Hey BC....a few days off. Time to make some hot chocolate and cuddle with a book.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That's my plan exactly, Car 4!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Hey BC....a few days off. Time to make some hot chocolate and cuddle with a book.

Car 4
    What's the book?

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It's not like I'm a survivalist or anything, but I think it's funny how the mainstream public (adult students, professionals, working men and women, etc) feel like their world is collapsing around them when a big snowstorm rolls around.

2 yrs ago we got 33 inches in a 24 hr period and everything in town shut down. Come on it's not THAT bad. Especially around here...it's Minnesota, deal with it.

I understand it's a little different if all you have is a Ford Festiva, or are elderly, etc....but for many people it really shouldn't be too difficult.

My number one tip for driving in a blinding snow storm: Give 'er!
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I've never seen so much snow in my entire life. I literally cannot go anywhere right now. REALLY looking forward to shoveling it later on today! Haha...
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    my fucking house looks like a giant igloo
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I blame global warming!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    It's not like I'm a survivalist or anything, but I think it's funny how the mainstream public (adult students, professionals, working men and women, etc) feel like their world is collapsing around them when a big snowstorm rolls around.

2 yrs ago we got 33 inches in a 24 hr period and everything in town shut down. Come on it's not THAT bad. Especially around here...it's Minnesota, deal with it.

I understand it's a little different if all you have is a Ford Festiva, or are elderly, etc....but for many people it really shouldn't be too difficult.

My number one tip for driving in a blinding snow storm: Give 'er!
    What I always find astounding is that people rush to supermarkets and buy ingredients to make French toast (bread, eggs, milk). Under normal circumstances, don't most people have enough food on hand to survive a snowstorm??

I also hate when the weather reporters sensationalize the storms. Today on the weather channel I heard that this East coast storm is a "snowpocalypse." Snowpocalypse!

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    What's the book?
    Roald Dahl's Omnibus and James Patterson's The Quickie.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Roald Dahl's Omnibus and James Patterson's The Quickie.
    You're reading two books at once?

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    You're reading two books at once?
    There's something unusual about that?

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    There's something unusual about that?
    Yes if you're alternating between the two books, reading one page from one book and another page from the other book. Although it might make the plot more interesting if you combine them that way.....

Verified LEO
    well, i just finished shoveling snow for 6 fucking hours...are you kidding me. i dont have a damn snowblower, so i had to do 3 feet of snow by hand. i finished the driveway and front door area after about 5 hours. then came the sidewalk. i have a corner house, with a hell of a lot of sidewalk. i started doing it, and realized it was gonna take me another 3 hours or so to finish, and i got way discouraged. then my neighbor offered up his snowblower for me to use cause he was finally done with it, and i got the rest done in an hour or so. that guy saved me.

my back is on fire. i hate snow
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    well, i just finished shoveling snow for 6 fucking hours...are you kidding me. i dont have a damn snowblower, so i had to do 3 feet of snow by hand. i finished the driveway and front door area after about 5 hours. then came the sidewalk. i have a corner house, with a hell of a lot of sidewalk. i started doing it, and realized it was gonna take me another 3 hours or so to finish, and i got way discouraged. then my neighbor offered up his snowblower for me to use cause he was finally done with it, and i got the rest done in an hour or so. that guy saved me.

my back is on fire. i hate snow
    Ouch! Hope your back feels better soon. That was nice of your neighbor to lend you the snowblower!

Verified LEO
    Ouch! Hope your back feels better soon. That was nice of your neighbor to lend you the snowblower!
    would have been nicer if one of the other jerkoffs around me who were out with their snowblowers watching me bust my ass all day offered to come over and help out. every surrounding house has a snowblower except me. my wife has shoveled the last 2 small storms weve gotten, and in each instance my neighbors were knocking each other over to volunteer to help her out with their snowblowers. i get out there in a damn blizzard and its like im invisible. life must be great when youre a hot chick...everyone goes out of their way to do things for you.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tapout View Post
    life must be great when youre a hot chick...everyone goes out of their way to do things for you.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    We lucked out here, missed us by a few miles, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    The Quickie.
    Is that a tip book for when you want to hit the Mile High Club? I mean with all the traveling you do

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Yes if you're alternating between the two books, reading one page from one book and another page from the other book. Although it might make the plot more interesting if you combine them that way.....
    You can't read a different book with each eye? Two eyes... two books. Two ears... listen to two different things.

(OK... I confess, I can't really read two things. But like most cops, I can manage to listen to several different things at once!)
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information