Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Thoughts about a solution for people like this:

Click and read the whole article. What are people's thoughts on societal problems like the one below?

Mobile County man has been to jail 97 times in 29 years, records show | Breaking News from the Press-Register - al.com Mobile County man has been to jail 97 times in 29 years, records show

By Jillian Kramer

February 07, 2010, 5:40AM

A series of jailhouse mugshots document some of William Bradley Bankston's visits to the Mobile County Metro Jail. The oldest pictured is from 1999, and the newest is from 2009.MOBILE, Ala. -- "You've been to jail 97 times?" the reporter inquired on a recent morning.

"Oh, probably more than that, ma'am," replied the man on the other end of the line, William Bradley Bankston.

In fact, the 47-year-old has been booked into Mobile County Metro Jail on freshly filed charges more times than anyone else in the modern era of record-keeping there.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    give them some real time that they MUST serve...
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Individuals as such are selfish and have no care to the drain they have on society or budgets. There are people who would say he has a disease and can't help himself. I do not exactly agree with that. There are treatments available for issues like this. Are they always successful? I suppose not.
    Successful rehabilitations may very well depend on the person. I'm not a scientist. However, what has this guy done to rehabilitate himself? Contrary to popular belief rehabilitations are not a cure all. Neither is jail. A person cannot be rehabilitated until they decide to be rehabilitated. This type of behavior will continue without change. Forced medication is still viewed as unconstitutional. If not then I would recommend Antabuse. The side effects are the kind to get your mind right.
    I don't see any positive conclusion to this kind of problem. Voluntary compliance doesn't seem to be much of an option. Where it is an option I don't see a positive percentage of success.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    We've got a guy that is up to around 125 arrests now. And what's worse about it is that most officers actually will go out of their way NOT to arrest him. The only time I arrested him was when he tried to piss on my police car.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Send them to England, aren't they supposed to be a liberal utopia?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

mack is offline Officer Resource Offical Auctioneer
    Premium Lifetime Member
    I don't think there really is a solution to this problem. You can send him to prison as a repeat offender but then when he gets out he'll do it again. Antabuse is great but who says he'll take it. Treatment would be great also but they have to want to be treated.

My dad, I miss him every day.

Originally Posted by Wolven
    Life is too short to wear unsexy underwear.

I am a female!!!!! LMAO

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind...don't matter

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Longer prison sentences without possibility of parole or probation, combined with better prison conditions (less overcrowding and fewer opportunities for inmate-on-inmate violence, and more opportunities for education, skilled work experiences, and rehabilitation in prison) so that the longer prison sentences would not be cruel even for the few innocent people who will inevitably get swept up along with the guilty because the criminal justice system isn't foolproof, and so that those who eventually get out will not come out even more damaged than before they entered.

pharmer is offline Legal Dealer
    Go Singapore on his @$$ and give him a good ole public thrashing. Obviously his punishments don't seem to bother him that much...

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Longer prison sentences = spending even more money than the original prison/jail stays for the above offender.
    Less overcrowding = spending even more money for better built prisons prisons that can keep prisoners seperated. Keeping prisoners seperated means more money spent on lawsuits from inmates who feel segregated.
    Less opportunites for inmate violence = more money spent on more corrections officers and better built prisons. More corrections officers means more money for salaries and benefits.
    As stated rehabilitation only works if the person wants it to work. Either way there is no proof positive, cheap nor simple solution.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Longer prison sentences = spending even more money than the original prison/jail stays for the above offender.
    Less overcrowding = spending even more money for better built prisons prisons that can keep prisoners seperated. Keeping prisoners seperated means more money spent on lawsuits from inmates who feel segregated.
    Less opportunites for inmate violence = more money spent on more corrections officers and better built prisons. More corrections officers means more money for salaries and benefits.
    As stated rehabilitation only works if the person wants it to work. Either way there is no proof positive, cheap nor simple solution.
    There's no cheap or simple solution, but all those would be a good use of taxpayer money. Not as good as education, job training, and social services to prevent children from growing up to become criminals in the first place, but certainly better than paying what we now pay for high crime rates, and necessary to protect the sheep from those who fall through the cracks of society and become wolves. I'd gladly pay even more taxes to lower my chances of being victimized by crime.

WyomingSunrise is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    Lewisipo and Mack you're both right - unless he wants to help himself, and make a go at being sober and stop his destructive behavior, nothing anyone says or does will make any difference. THere is a slight chance that someone will say or do something to switch the lightbulb on, but he's still the one that has to act on it. Jenna, in some cases what you say is true, but for the most part it doesn't help. Now, in this case we're talking about someonewho is basically a niusance (I'm talking about in the grand scheme of things) He gets drunk and dissorderly etc charges. He has been to jail for longer periods of time, however most of his charges don't warrant state of federal prison. You could put him in prison for 5 years, and unless he has made the decision to change, he won't and will go back to the same behavior over and over again. Granted, at the same time I also feel that some cases merrit locking them up and throwing away the key. I have learnt over the years that there are no easy answers, that what may work for one person may not for another. Our justice system is not perfect, but I think we do the best we can with what we have. It's frustrating as heck most of the time though. - Sorry about the ramble

WyomingSunrise is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    There's no cheap or simple solution, but all those would be a good use of taxpayer money. Not as good as education, job training, and social services to prevent children from growing up to become criminals in the first place, but certainly better than paying what we now pay for high crime rates, and necessary to protect the sheep from those who fall through the cracks of society and become wolves. I'd gladly pay even more taxes to lower my chances of being victimized by crime.

Jenna, I hate to say it, but most (read most - not all) offenders won't take advantage of the education, job training and social services that are offered to them. We have good services here, considering we're a relatively small city, and most of my people won't go to these services, and won't follow through - even with jail, and ultimatley prison as a consequence.
    In thoery waht you say is great - i just wished it worked more often than not.

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Sounds like that there jail isn't tough enough, they should send him to spend his time with Sheriff Joe in AZ. I know he'd take him in at no cost to the county he's from!
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

NC Bullseye is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper_132 View Post
    Sounds like that there jail isn't tough enough, they should send him to spend his time with Sheriff Joe in AZ. I know he'd take him in at no cost to the county he's from!
    I'm really curious as to why there aren't programs like his in every state. Politically correct needs to be replaced by you get the respect that you give.

Otis was one thing in Mayberry RFD but this guy this thread is about needs to be part of an invasive medical study.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    And I quote:

As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    He's a drunk. Everyone's got a few like him. Rehab only works when they want it to and will go with the program. Interdiction (prevents 'em from buying booze) just moves them to somewhere they're not interdicted -- or makes them get someone else to buy for 'em.

There's no real solution till these people hit their own rock bottom and choose to help themselves. Like the article said...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

kjlaw is online now Swamp Mafia Proud!!!
    Verified LEO
    I know of a female in my area who upon reading this I had to go back and check on and as of oct of llast year, she has 162 arrests in the last 14 years and has two outstanding warrants for her arret now.
    Lead from the front and always remember those who came first.

Capt. Ocativo "OX" Gonzalez
    EOW 6/16/06

Always remember that a casket is hotter than your vest.

Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Soon the whole world will be in the hands of the Swamp Mafia.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Agree with those who suggest the sobriety option, however nothing to make him WANT to get sober. This guy has a lot of room ahead to offend and perhaps take someone else with him. The system treats them as a nuisance, which indeed they are, until someone dies. We used to have civil committment laws and asylums for the insane and habitual drunks. Now it is very tough to get a level III sex-offender locked away.

Had a cousin who bounced back from Montana to Sweden and back again. A habitual drunk who had his D/L revoked in both countries. He had been in jail in countless times in both countres, although the Swede courts gave longer sentences. Fought the cops, started fights in bars, a real "tavern rambo"..... DUI, DV, assaaults...etc. His low point BAC for the day was probably a .16. Most of his crimes were misdemeanors, or plead down to misdemeanors.

It all ended in Sweden. He borrowed or stole a rifle, murdered his two daughters and wife. Barricaded in his cabin. The Swedish police SWAT team sealed the area off and waited him out. He killed himself with the rifle.

His mother said - "shooting himself was the only decent thing he ever did".

Cops are trained to deal with the bad behavior, and by experience we are somewhat hardened to the outcomes of alcoholism. When it comes close at work, or from within the family, we tend to be less detached and less professional. Denial is the major symptom; it occurs everywhere - family, workplace.... even the face in the mirror. Yep, it sometimes really sucks. It gets down to "door A" or "door B".
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Sorry about your cousin, sgtbear111. What a terrible tragedy all around.

NC Bullseye is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlaw View Post
    I know of a female in my area who upon reading this I had to go back and check on and as of oct of llast year, she has 162 arrests in the last 14 years and has two outstanding warrants for her arret now.
    But is she HAWT??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information