Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Tracy Residents Now Have To Pay For 911 Calls

Tracy residents will now have to pay every time they call 9-1-1 for a medical emergency.

But there are a couple of options. Residents can pay a $48 voluntary fee for the year which allows them to call 9-1-1 as many times as necessary.

Or, there's the option of not signing up for the annual fee. Instead, they will be charged $300 if they make a call for help.

"A $300 fee and you don't even want to be thinking about that when somebody is in need of assistance," said Tracy resident Greg Bidlack.

Tracy Residents Now Have To Pay For 911 Calls - cbs13.com
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Thats ridiculous.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Who is going to to pay a $48 fee for "all you can call" 911? No one imagines they might need to call 911. And if people pay the fee, are they going to be crank calling 911 just to get their money's worth?

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Oh please.........;-)
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074 View Post
    Thats ridiculous.
    +1

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We already have a "911 tax" here. But they are talking about doing this in several cities now. Most agencies already charge for any alarm response. One agency has a policy that they will not respond to any alarm unless someone else has already gone and verified that something happened
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    holy shit....that is absolutely crazy! I could se charging to false alarm calls and 911 hangups, but this? Zoinks.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm familiar with a department in MN (shall remain nameless) that does something similar for certain 911 calls.

If you call 911 and the responding officer(s) find out YOU are the cause of the call (ex: I call 911 to report a domestic between my wife and I, and the officers arrest me for domestic) that incident is documented. After that happens 3 times in a calendar year, that person is banned from dialing 911. Not kidding you.

Apparently they have people that walk to pay phones and convenience stores to call after being banned, because 911 won't accept calls coming from their number.

I can't believe they haven't been sued yet.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Can't say I'm opposed to the concept.

Stuff costs money. Either it gets funded by the user or it gets funded by nicking everyone the same amount regardless of use. Or more if they have multiple phone lines. (multiple phone lines not being an indicator for health problems that I know of)

How is this different than Universal Healthcare vs User Pay? The $48/yr route being those who chose to take out insurance.

I can see problems with that argument, some relating to a perspective we've grown used to.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Stuff costs money.
    Yeah, thats why we have taxes.

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    You know the fee plan is more about suckering people into having to pay $300 than it is about getting $48 from each person. And when a large amount of people that would probably get charged don't really have money anyway, do they think they are going to make much money that way? Then also, if you get charged for calling 911, people will stop calling 911 if they see someone else in trouble. Someone is stabbing you? "Give me $300 and I will call the police for you...otherwise you are on your own. Good luck with getting stabbed." Or maybe instead of calling 911, people would start only calling the non-emergency regular telephone number, even if it is an emergency. Or maybe they are hoping that out of towners will be in trouble and have to call 911, and then they can try to charge the visitors big bucks?

Under the fee system, do they have to track down people that use a pay phone to call 911 so that they can charge them the $300?

It can be seen as semantics when proposing this kind of fee system vs. a tax system that is the norm, but the fee system just has way too many holes in it. It might be nice in theory (people who use the system pay for the system)... but in practice, not so much.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I guess what I'm wondering is why they feel the need to do this. Too many abuses to the system, operating costs too high, what? I can definitely say that I can see more people saying "Damn, I'm having chest pains, I'd better drive myself to the hospital because it might just be heartburn" and they wind up dying because of the delay, instead of "Shit, I think I'm having a heart attack, I'd better call 911!"
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Radar is offline We all bleed blue
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Hey can I borrow your phone a second? It's a local call....

This is nuts. I wouldn't pay three hundred bucks. I thought it was bad enough when my ex-wife thought she was having a heart attack at a resturant and two FD paramedics just happened to be eating there. We were two blocks from the hospital, so I was prepared to rush her to the ER but the paramedics were like this is really serious we can treat her on the way so she went with them and I followed. Two blocks transport... They were so close they turned on the siren briefly to clear one intersection. Later I got a bill for $978 for that two block transport. Bite me.

This I'm pretty sure what taxes are for. If I need 911 I need to know I can call, not be worrying about the bill if I call. Sorry honey, I know you think you're having a heart attack but the 911 dispatchers and the paramedics charge to much so I'm going to drive you myself, try to stay alive while I do the speed limit and stop and wait at red lights.

Why am I paying taxes at all? Really paying taxes? Is it just so the IRS leaves me alone? And so the politicians can keep giving themselves six figures while they shove a red hot poker up my ass while ignoring the desires or their constituants?
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder

"Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

"How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Can't say I'm opposed to the concept.
    uh, im very opposed...

if i return home to find my house has been burglarized, im sure as shit not paying the police $300 to respond and do their job.

if my wife takes the dog for a walk and gets raped in the park, you think she should be further punished by charging her $300 to report it?

i could go on and on...this is about the dumbest fucking idea ive ever heard.
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I don't see that getting very far. I would, however, LOVE to see a fee for false 911 calls or "butt dialed" 911 calls. We probably get 15 or 20 butt dials a day.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    This is ridiculous to say the least. But this is Tracy, California. Go Figure.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm all for billing non-emergency 911 calls. You call 911 it better be a fucking emergency. Locking yourself inside your car is not an emergency and you're getting billed.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Thread Information