Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO

New Pseudoephedrine Law in MS

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Gov. Haley Barbour has signed into law legislation that will require consumers to get a doctor’s prescription to buy cold medicine containing pseudoephedrine, a decongestant and key ingredient in the illegal drug methamphetamine.
    Rest of Story

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/a...-manufacturing

Opinions?

I think it will just make the buyers go to LA, AL, TN, to get the substance. Anything to inconvenience the people making the crap is a good thing. I just hate that lawful people are also inconvenienced.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    Rest of Story

Gov. Haley Barbour signs bill targeting meth manufacturing | hattiesburgamerican.com | Hattiesburg American

Opinions?

I think it will just make the buyers go to LA, AL, TN, to get the substance. Anything to inconvenience the people making the crap is a good thing. I just hate that lawful people are also inconvenienced.
    The way it works here is you have to buy it over the counter and show your ID for it, then sign a register.

You don't need an RX, but it did kill the meth labs.

Now, mostly all the meth comes from superlabs in Mexico and is muled in by migrant workers.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    We have a law like Mac describes. And that already has ALOT of people just not buying cold products with ephedrine/psuedoephedrine. I haven't bought the original NyQuil in forever, even though it works 20 times better than the over the counter version. Here when you sign a register to get the stuff, you have to write down your SSN and DOB as well as show ID and sign your name. Then the next person who signs for meds can often see your info. No thank you. So now I just suffer through colds/flus/coughs/etc. because it's not worth buying the "OTC" medicines that actually work well. This prescription law would have no effect on me, since I already no longer "can" buy those products safely.

As for effects of any law on the manufacture of meth.... it (our law) slows things down a little, but I don't think it has that big of an effect, and meth labs are still on the rise here it sounds like. Not in my city but in other areas of the state. It just means that anyone making meth needs more friends to help out, and/or means that middlemen get added to the equation. A syndicate approach gets you around the laws. Maybe that is where the prescription law idea comes in, making it harder for just anyone to get the pills to eventually get to the person making the meth. Though even then, we have docs in this town that will write fake scripts for addicts all the time for the right money.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    We had the "Behind the Counter/Signature Required" in place before this new law came up. It seemed to slow labs down some but we still had a problem.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    We have the same laws as Maclean, but it just makes it very profitable to buy pseudoephedrine from all over and then sell it it meth cooks. If DA offices would go after these people like they should another law would not be neccessary.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Thread Information