Welcome to the APBWeb.
    jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Well, not EVERYONE loves firefighters apparently...

The Las Vegas Fire Department chief is urging his firefighters to avoid spending time at the gym during work hours and not to "abuse sick leave" as his department battles poor public perception during its stand to avoid pay cuts and layoffs.
    The chief's Feb. 10 e-mail to all staff, obtained by the Review-Journal through a public records request, sheds light on the department's struggles to win over the public and bureaucrats.
    "Spending 2-3 hours a day at the gym like some crews do is just the kind of actions that tear us down," Fire Chief Greg Gammon wrote.
    The image of firetrucks sitting in gym parking lots for hours is one of the biggest complaints Gammon has heard from the public, he said last week.
    "There's a perception that's out there that they're at the gym more than they should, and all I can do is remind them ... just be mindful of the public perception right now," he said.
    Among local agencies, the Las Vegas and Clark County fire departments have fought the hardest to avoid pay cuts. Las Vegas officials have proposed an 8 percent wage rollback in each of the next two years to avoid layoffs. The Fire Department is still negotiating with the city.
    On average, Las Vegas Fire Department firefighters grossed about $110,000 last year. Of the department's $117.1 million budget, $98.3 million went toward 559 firefighters' wages and benefits.
    The union that represents the department's firefighters has said that reductions will have damaging effects on the community, such as increasing emergency response times. It has set up a Web site, lasvegasfirefacts.com , where it says in bold letters, "STOP The City From Putting Your Life And Property In DANGER!"

More at the link
    Vegas Chief Tells Crews Limit On-Duty Gym Time | Firehouse.com
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Am I alone to say that all first responders should get an hour of gym time for the positives it gives the public that they serve?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Am I alone to say that all first responders should get an hour of gym time for the positives it gives the public that they serve?
    Nope. I feel the same way. I have always thought that we should get paid for some gym time. Our FD has weight rooms at all stations and they require an hour of fitness training per shift.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not to mention most state prisoners are working out on the public dime. Just some food for though.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    In addition to enabling the first responders to save more lives, that could actually save the public money in the long run, by reducing healthcare and disability costs.

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

I completely agree with you.

In regards to the article though, it sounds like the public perception is that the firefighters are "abusing" their time at the gym, and spending a disproportionate amount of time there as opposed to their stations.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    We're allowed an hour per shift.

And the very nice gym on campus allows any first responder in the county to be a member for free.

213th is offline Solipsist
    I'd rather then be working out then 300 pound fatasses who cant hump a roll of hose up a flight of stairs when they need to
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    In addition to enabling the first responders to save more lives, that could actually save the public money in the long run, by reducing healthcare and disability costs.
    Studies have proven this. We have a fitness incentive of 2%, but no sanctioned gym time. We have the gym, and I use it. However, I have worked for one department were I go four hours a week or one hour after each shift. Good stress reducer per Mr. Gilmartin:

Emotional survival for law enforcement: a guide for officers and their families [Book]

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    So the F.D. should be sitting at the house getting fat?

Hell, I'd take a collection and make a training center at the house, but still, WTF does the public want??

Sorry Ma'am, your child died because he was not allowed to workout......for billy bobs sake......
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

Shoestring is offline Please dont check the trunk...
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    I think people are looking for excuses to cut money

Yeah 3 hours may not look good but a good amount of the fire departments around us have weight rooms so you wouldnt even need to leave the station house.

Full time departments around hear also require you to work 8 hrs out of your 24 hr shift example: Your work shift is 8a-4p, cleaning, maintanance on trucks and station, reports, training etc. If you get a call in the 8-4, that is part of your work for the 8 hrs, if you dont get a call-you work those 8 hours, and if you get calls after the 8 hrs, you deal with them as they come in

I dont think people know that Firefighters have to do anything other than show up at the station and sit on a couch waiting for a call.

Plus when in comes to fitness, I think they should be allowed a 1-2 hours, you got to get warmed up, then work out, then cool down, then clean up/shower etc. If I need help, I want someone to show up able to do the job and not have a flippin heart attack climbing a ladder to save me or my family
    Somebody Please, what the hell is that smell?

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

The views, opinions, stupid off the cuff comments, mouthy, obnoxious, thoughtless, etc etc etc are not always or even some of the time the belief of my department, so bugger off!

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    I get two scheduled hours of gym time per week, and can ask for a third if things are slow enough at 6am (I work 2300-0700). It is considered training, as it should be. We have our own gym in the basement of City Hall. It's basically the nicest gym in town, other than it does not have a steam room or sauna. If it had a steam room or sauna, I would totally be able to talk myself into using it on my nights off. It's too bad that FD doesn't have their own gym so it can be out of the public's eye.

We used to have a fitness incentive of an extra 2 days off if you could still pass the academy exit standards. But they've since done away with that.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Had a guy tell me concerning things like this. You don't pay us for what we're doing right now, you pay us for what we might be doing in the next 5 seconds.

tapout is offline keepin it gangsta'
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut Aficionado View Post
    So the F.D. should be sitting at the house getting fat?
    exactly...what else are they supposed to do when there are no fires to fight? im glad to see they are in the gym, staying in fighting shape. its not like they are police, and could be out actively patrollling, getting involved in self initiated incidents, and deterring crime with their presence. they are sitting around waiting for a fire call. as long as they have a radio nearby, who the fuck cares what they are doing?
    in the warriors code there's no surrender, though his body says stop, his spirit cries...NEVER. deep in our souls, a quiet ember, knows its you against you, its the paradox that drives us all. its a battle of wills, in the heat of attack, its the passion that kills, and victory is yours alone.

the posts and opinions stated by me do not in any way reflect the values, beliefs, or views of my department. they are simply opinions and/or observations which have been developed through my personal experiences. hell, most of the stories probably arent even true...wink wink

Thread Information