Welcome to the APBWeb.
    lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Cities Shortening Yellow Traffic Lights for Deadly Profit

Some cities have been shortening yellow lights to nab drivers with a ticket. But studies show that they're raking in the bucks at the expense of public safety.

Reeling through a 21st century addicted to technology and surveillance, citizens may be too overwhelmed to complain of increasing cameras popping up atop red lights at intersections across the nation, most of which are designed to catch them breaking traffic laws. That is, until they're caught in those intersections as the yellow lights unexpectedly change, and cars in front and back of them hit the brakes or punch the gas to avoid tickets. And when they find out those cameras and lights are being gamed, sometimes lethally, in the pursuit of quick profit? Then they get mad, and maybe even, for being used as motorized money pits. "With all of the stories we hear on a daily basis, there is little doubt that the desire for ticket revenue trumps safety concerns," Gary Biller, executive director of the National Motorists Association told AlterNet. "A quick current example is California's governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, who a few weeks ago proposed state budget including a proposal to add speed sensors to 500 existing red-light cameras. The reason? Safety wasn't mentioned, but an expected additional annual revenue of $338 million was."

Cities Shortening Yellow Traffic Lights for Deadly Profit | Civil Liberties | AlterNet

In a related note:

Red Light Camera Studies Roundup
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    If they really want to make money, they should just make the lights more complicated by adding more colors to confuse drivers. Morse code could also be fun.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    "Hey Ray, how can we fill these budget gaps?"

"We could put up red light cameras and toy with the timings"

"Brilliant. Say, what blew out the budget in the first place?"

"Public health and safety programs"

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So, am I to believe that a government program, pitched to the people as a means to improve their wellbeing, is being administered so as to be self-serving, and is actually defeating its own stated purpose?

10-point bonus for anyone who can name other government programs where this has happened...

... and now they want control of healthcare too.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by countybear View Post
    10-point bonus for anyone who can name other government programs where this has happened...
    All of them?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

cajunguy is online now I LOVE my ParaOrd .45ACP!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    All of them?

If we did that, the forum would probably lock up due to bandwidth overload.

The Swamp Mafia -
    "Heaven doesn't want us,
    and Hell's afraid we'll take over!!"

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    The National Model Traffic Safety Ordinance is the law for cities, counties and states taking federal money. According to it, yellow lights must be 3 seconds long.

If they are spoofing the lights, somebody may get sued.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    The National Model Traffic Safety Ordinance is the law for cities, counties and states taking federal money. According to it, yellow lights must be 3 seconds long.

If they are spoofing the lights, somebody may get sued.

Car 4
    The problem is the NHTSA study was flubbed. There is a math guy who pointed out that the NHTSA timing was the result of a math error, and the light should be four seconds on average. The math formula is here, but I'm not a math whiz.

http://redlightrobber.com/red/docs/Derivation.pdf

That was combined with a study that showed a four second yellow reduced accidents.

ATS, the company that makes millions from the cameras, has refused to acknowledge that the short light is the issue, because it would reduce their revenue.

Cities (like mine) pay ATS for the pleasure of having the cameras - thousands per month.

If the revenue from the camera goes down, the city cannot afford the camera.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I'm so glad we don't have that shit here.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information