Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Thumbs up Burning Mortgage for Slain Officer’s Family

We often hear of the Officer Down stories here, and I wanted to share something that should make us all feel a bit better even after such a tragedy. I know several of the verifieds on here knew Phillip.

Shelby County Reporter | City of Pelham celebrates by burning mortgage for slain officer?s family

City of Pelham celebrates by burning mortgage for slain officer’s family

By Austin Phillips (Contact) | Shelby County Reporter
    Published Sunday, April 11, 2010
    PELHAM — Dozens of law enforcement, firefighters, elected officials and members of the public gathered April 11 to celebrate paying off the mortgage of the home of slain Pelham Police officer Philip Davis.
    During a ceremony at the Pelham Civic Complex, members of the public heard from Davis’ widow, Paula, Mayor Don Murphy and Police Chief Tommy Thomas as the three thanked the community for helping to retire to mortgage.
    With the help of Fire Chief Danny Ray, Davis lit the mortgage and burned it, while also saying a few words to thank the public for their generosity.
    “It’s wonderful just to know that everyone is supporting us,” Davis said. “It’s just amazing.”
    Davis said she and the children are holding up fine, but she still thinks about Philip and all the other officers who risk their lives each and every day.
    “It’s a day-to-day battle, but we’re making it OK,” Davis said as she fought back tears. “Although Philip was my husband, every night that I go to bed, I still think about everyone in the department.
    “I consider them part of my family, and every night I go to bed I say prayers for you and your families because I know if you were in my situation, you would do the same for me,” she added.
    Prior to Davis speaking, Thomas also thanked everyone who helped put the effort together.
    With April 11 also marking what would have been officer Davis’ fifth anniversary with the Pelham Police Department, Thomas said he has been battling some feelings of bitterness, but that subsided as he saw how the community supported his fellow officers and Davis’ family.
    “The bitterness went away,” Thomas said. “I appreciate the whole community coming together.”
    Thomas said Davis was a phenomenal officer and the department benefited greatly from his service.
    “Police officer Philip Davis was a unique individual,” Thomas said. “Every time I say the name Philip Davis, a smile comes to my face.
    “You just had to know Philip, you just had to know him,” he added.
    Thomas said Davis, who also served as a crime scene investigator, was so detailed in his work and cared so much about his fellow officers.
    “Philip could have been anything he wanted to be, and I’m thankful he decided to become a police officer,” Thomas said. “He left his mark on our police department.”
    During the program, State Senator Hank Erwin also presented a resolution to Paula.
    The resolution was the first measure taken up when the legislature reconvened in February.
    Murphy closed out the ceremony by thanking everyone for their efforts, and letting Davis know that she will also be a member of the Pelham family.
    “How many ways do you say thank you?” Murphy said. “Everyone came together; our city came together.
    “And Paula, we’re not ever going to forget you, baby,” he added. “As long as we’re all still here, we’re never going to forget you.”
    In addition to the mortgage retirement effort, the city and Davis have also established a fund in the memory of officer Davis to help law enforcement families who lose a member in the line of duty.
    A golf tournament will be held April 29 at Ballantrae Golf Club to help benefit this effort. For more information, call Butch Byrd at Ballantrae at 620-4653.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That is wonderful. Thanks for sharing that, Five-0.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Beautiful story. May Officer Davis rest in peace.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    And that's how it is supposed to be.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    And that's how it is supposed to be.

Not according to one comment on there.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Not according to one comment on there.
    There is always someone with a deep seated personality disorder waiting in the wings to make those comments.

They see it as their effort to right some wrong done to them by a police officer who should have been "out chasing real criminals" instead of giving them a DUI or speeding ticket.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    God bless her and his family and the Pelham officers.

Five-0 we know turds are going to be turds no matter what else they try to be...
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ha!!! I told you guys this was a conservative area. The Paper's Staff removed that comment I talked about.

pharmer is offline Legal Dealer
    That's great to hear!

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    That the people of Pelham understand the meaning of family so well must surely ease the rest of Officer Davis.

Nothing but humble admiration all around.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    That the people of Pelham understand the meaning of family so well must surely ease the rest of Officer Davis.

Nothing but humble admiration all around.
    It was a undertaking in the whole county. I know of several agencies and communities that donated to the effort. Still it feels good to see the right thing done. The best part is that amount of the mortage payoff was exceeded. His wife didn't just take the extra, she is starting a foundation in case this ever happens again.

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    It was a undertaking in the whole county. I know of several agencies and communities that donated to the effort. Still it feels good to see the right thing done. The best part is that amount of the mortage payoff was exceeded. His wife didn't just take the extra, she is starting a foundation in case this ever happens again.
    haven't heard that, thanks for passing it on. That is a class act.
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by pac201 View Post
    haven't heard that, thanks for passing it on. That is a class act.
    +1

Thread Information