Welcome to the APBWeb.
    chp7016 is offline Ret. Ca Highway Patrol Sgt
    Verified LEO

Police Suicides "in the line of duty"

Canada has taken a big step into the 21st century by being the first to finally recognize that work-related emotional trauma leading to the suicide of a police officer can be considered "in the line of duty."

Honour for cop overdue,Trauma ultimately took his life

In the US, police agencies continue to stand fast in refusing to acknowledge that work-related trauma and PTSD can lead to suicide. Of 141 police suicides in 2008 and 144 in 2009, not a single one was attributed to the job. There are cases that cry out to be recognized.

Perhaps our brothers and sisters to the north have given us pause to think.
    Badge of Life Suicide Prevention
    http://www.badgeoflife.com/

IndianaFuzz is offline Policeman Perry fan club
    Verified LEO
    Congratulations on making a right decision, Canada. It's about time the US gets its head out of its @$$ and does the same thing.
    CHIRP! CHIRP!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    Congratulations on making a right decision, Canada. It's about time the US gets its head out of its @$$ and does the same thing.
    This is all that needs to be said to sum up my feelings, too.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

ANI4ANI is offline Served my city 1972-1997
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by chp7016 View Post

In the US, police agencies continue to stand fast in refusing to acknowledge that work-related trauma and PTSD can lead to suicide. Of 141 police suicides in 2008 and 144 in 2009, not a single one was attributed to the job. There are cases that cry out to be recognized.
    Interesting post. I can't recall such incidents during my career on my department nor any other. No doubt it may occur today, but proving it may be difficult. I don't know how the US military proves a suicide of a soldier is/was related to ones military tour of duty. Would the officer have to have a current or past traumatic medical condition(s) documented?
    As today's police officers you are not unlike your counterparts of years past. You are an elite group of select members, a brotherhood of highly trained professionals, who are called upon to protect your community in a time of need. Guardians for safety. Being a police officer is not for the faint of heart. You must be honest, trustworthy and fearless in the face of evil. You are being watched everyday. Represent yourself, your department and the shield, for it should always be the embodiment of all that is good and justly. You are the thin blue line. Be proud, be tough and be safe.

2 Blue 4 U is offline Retired NYPD
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaFuzz View Post
    I agree, sadly, I doubt it will ever happen, the bureaucratic A$$holes will never get past the $$$. It is the same with those suffering from 9/11 related illnesses, the Department is not even designating it as a Line of Duty illness. It is really a shame what they are putting them thru and their families.

Quote Originally Posted by ANI4ANI View Post
    Interesting post. I can't recall such incidents during my career on my department nor any other. No doubt it may occur today, but proving it may be difficult. I don't know how the US military proves a suicide of a soldier is/was related to ones military tour of duty. Would the officer have to have a current or past traumatic medical condition(s) documented?
    Unfortunately most suicides occur with out that person ever going for help so it would be doubtful anything was documented. Unless others step in, notice a change in behavior and reach out to help them. Always got to look out for your brothers and sisters, how many times do you hear, I never would have thought "so & so" would have committed suicide, he/she seemed/looked perfectly happy. Some are the best at hiding their own problems, PTS can get the best out of those who think they are the strongest.

http://www.officerresource.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic5657_1.gif
    Liberty & Justice For All!

chp7016 is offline Ret. Ca Highway Patrol Sgt
    Verified LEO
    Some additional information on this case at Toronto Sun.

No doubt it was work related--he was forced to wait outside, listening to his partner beg for his life while he was dying, and couldn't do anything.

We've seen any number of cases like this, in which an officer has clearly gone though terrible trauma, suffered from PTSD and depression, and committed suicide. What's ironic is that you can file a claim for PTSD out of a horrible incident and get a disability retirement. If the PTSD leads you to suicide the day before the retirement takes effect, however, your family gets zero, zip, nada.

Just as it's up to the officer to prove that he has a bad back or a case of PTSD, it would be up to the surviving family to show that the dead officer had undergone emotional trauma. Don't expect the department to be cooperative. We currently have one widow with a clear case who continues her fight to have her husband's suicide declared "in the line of duty."

Of 144 suicides last year, do you feel safe saying at least some are the result of work related trauma? We do. We've seen them, and they're clear as can be. Try Lt. Pigott in New York, for starters.

What's sad is that departments know when many of these are work related, and they deliberately ignore them when they happen.
    Badge of Life Suicide Prevention
    http://www.badgeoflife.com/

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Great article sir, thank you!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information