Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

New speed cameras trap motorists from space

The way I'm interpreting this, the only space part is that the license plate monitoring system will be using GPS to determine camera location so they can calculate average speed between two installations. Guess that doesn't make for much of a headline though.

New speed cameras trap motorists from space

A new type of speed cameras which can use satellites to measure average speed over long distances are being tested in Britain.

The cameras, which combine number plate reading technology with a global positioning satellite receiver, are similar to those used in roadworks.

The AA said it believed the new system could cover a network of streets as opposed to a straight line, and was “probably geared up to zones in residential areas.”

The Home Office is testing the cameras at two sites, one in Southwark, London, and the other A374 between Antony and Torpoint in Cornwall.

The `SpeedSpike’ system, which calculates average speed between any two points in the network, has been developed by PIPS Technology Ltd, an American-owned company with a base in Hampshire.

Details of the trials are contained in a House of Commons report. The company said in its evidence that the cameras enabled "number plate capture in all weather conditions, 24 hours a day". It also referred to the system's "low cost" and ease of installation.

The system could be used for "main road enforcement for congestion reduction and speed enforcement", and could help to "eliminate rat-runs" and cut speeds outside schools, it added. It could also reduce the need for speed humps.

The development of speed cameras has raised concerns about expanding state surveillance.

The Home Office said it was unable to comment on the trials because of "commercial confidentiality".

The AA said it would watch the system “carefully” but it did not believe there was anything sinister. “It is a natural evolution of the technology that is out there,” a spokesman said.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Isn't England the most heavily surveilled society in the world? Hitler would be proud, I'm sure.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    The way I'm interpreting this, the only space part is that the license plate monitoring system will be using GPS to determine camera location so they can calculate average speed between two installations. Guess that doesn't make for much of a headline though.
    That's my take on it too. Seems to me that the only unusual feature here is using the license plate reader to keep track of the approximate path that the cars took. There's no way they'd have access to any satellites able to track anything as small as a license plate. The low-orbit satellites might could track a car a short distance as a very fuzzy dot, but they fly over pretty quickly.

Our toll system already does tracking like that with the toll tags - It just times how long it takes each car to go from one toll booth to the next, and they already know the distance. I don't think they use the data to write tickets (yet). I think it would piss paying toll customers off and reduce revenue in the long run.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The number plate reader is just to confirm the vehicle from point a to b, and possibly to auto generate a ticket to the registered owner.
    I don't think its anyhting too sinister. Unfortunately these sytems only catch out the people who register there vehicles correctly or answer the mailed fine request. they also can't do anything with foreign registered vehicles, of which there are very many here, god bless the EU.
    In other words honest people bite the bullet.
    Thats why I make a point of stopping unregistered cars
    We might have lots of cctv cameras but they're never pointing the right way! not when I want to check if something was caught on camera anyway!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Thread Information