Super Moderator

Did Hutaree Militia Just Talk?

Click link for the whole story.

My Way News - Judge asks feds to show militia did more than talk

Judge asks feds to show militia did more than talk

Email this Story

Apr 28, 8:35 PM (ET)

By ED WHITE
    Google sponsored linksFederal Attorney - Hire a federal employee attorney with over 20 years experience.
    www.MelvilleJohnson.com

Best Defense Lawyer - Aggressive DUI and other criminal defenses - Free Consultation
    www.claythompsonlegal.com

DETROIT (AP) - A federal judge challenged prosecutors Wednesday to show that nine members of a Michigan militia accused of plotting war against the government had done more than just talk and should remain locked up.
    U.S. District Judge Victoria Roberts heard nearly 10 hours of testimony and arguments over two days. She did not make a decision about whether the nine will remain in custody, saying only that a ruling would come soon.
    The members of a southern Michigan group called Hutaree have been in custody for a month. An indictment accuses them of weapons violations and a rare crime: conspiring to commit sedition, or rebellion, against the government by first killing police officers.
    Prosecutors say the public would be at risk if the nine are released. But defense lawyers claim the government has overreached with a criminal case based mostly on hateful speech.
    An undercover agent infiltrated the group and secretly made recordings that have been played in court. While there is talk about killing police, it's not specific. In one conversation, there are many people talking over each other and laughing.
    Roberts pressed that point more than once as Assistant U.S. Attorney Ronald Waterstreet argued in favor of keeping the nine in jail. The judge suggested she didn't hear or read in the transcripts any indication that violence was imminent.
    "Mere presence where a crime may be planned is not a crime. ... How does this add up to seditious conspiracy?" Roberts said.
    Waterstreet said the government is not required to show all its evidence at this early stage of the case. He referred to the words of militia leader David Stone, 44, of Clayton, Mich., who was recorded by the undercover agent while they drove to Kentucky earlier this year.
    "It's now time to strike and take our nation back so that we may be free again from tyranny. Time is up," Waterstreet said, quoting a transcript.
    Later, putting the transcript aside, the prosecutor said: "The theme is the brotherhood is the enemy - all law enforcement."
    Defense lawyers urged the judge to look at each defendant individually. Although all are charged with conspiracy, they were not always together during critical meetings cited by the government.
    "'What if' is not the standard. ... None of these words are an instruction to anyone to commit a crime," said Stone's attorney, William Swor, as held up a stack of transcripts.
    Arthur Weiss, a lawyer for Thomas Piatek, 46, of Whiting, Ind., said disgust with the government as recorded by the undercover agent is similar to what's said daily by radio and TV talk-show hosts Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That would be a shocker.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The problem with "talk" like this and "implementation" is that it would only take fifteen minutes to do with the equipment they had on hand.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I suppose we should all just wait until the crime of violence is committed, take enforcement action and then talk about how horrible a crime it was. Sign of the times.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    I suppose we should all just wait until the crime of violence is committed, take enforcement action and then talk about how horrible a crime it was. Sign of the times.
    I think the key words are "substantial step."

You can stand around in a circle all day and talk about killing people without committing a crime.

It's a sign of the times that when the administration needs some right wingers to hang out in public to paint as extremist enemies of the State that they can round up some folks for talking.

If these guys took a step, then fry them. If they talked, they didn't commit a crime.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm absolutely shocked the federal government would put a case like this together to make right wingers look bad.

Anyone read the article about the FBI case agent who couldn't remember anything during the hearing?

I don't like those guys, especially if they're talking about killing cops. But we can't make up charges, no matter how despicable the bad guys are.

I have some serious issues with the credibility of the FBI and the government's political motives.

toledoblade.com -- The Blade ~ Toledo Ohio

DETROIT - An FBI agent who led the investigation of nine Michigan militia members charged with trying to launch war against the federal government couldn't recall many details of the two-year probe yesterday during questioning by defense lawyers.

Even the judge who must decide whether to release the nine until trial was puzzled.

"I share the frustrations of the defense team … that she doesn't know anything," U.S. District Judge Victoria Roberts said after agent Leslie Larsen confessed she hadn't reviewed her notes recently and couldn't remember specific details of the case.

Judge Roberts is hearing an appeal of another judge's order that has kept members of so-called Hutaree militia in jail since their arrest in late March.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post

If these guys took a step, then fry them. If they talked, they didn't commit a crime.
    I absolutely agree. If there is no crime there should be no case. However if there is there should be a case. Cases that I believe to have merit here are sometimes done away with here. Continued without date is the common term here. I realize it is not the exact same thing but it's the idea I am referring to.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Updated today:

"The court found the evidence not specific enough to warrant the detentions of the nine until their trial."

Judge allows bail for militia suspects - CNN.com
    I'm your huckleberry...

Thread Information