Welcome to the APBWeb.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Buttercup's Avatar
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Join Date
    04-29-06
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    18,090
    Rep Power
    4309820

    Cops: Man awaiting sobriety test takes last swig

    BELLEVIEW, Fla. Authorities said a central Florida man took one last swig of alcohol while waiting to take a sobriety test. Marion County Sheriff's deputies stopped 61-year-old Dana Seaman after noticing his car swerve three times. Seaman said he'd been drinking and agreed to a sobriety test. But first, Deputy Eric Larson said he watched Seaman drink from a cup and toss it under the passenger seat. According to a police report, the cup smelled strongly of alcohol.


    Seaman refused a breath test. He has been charged with DUI.


    A message left for Seaman was not immediately returned Monday.

    Cops: Man awaiting sobriety test takes last swig - Yahoo! News




  2. #2
    Ducky's Avatar
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Join Date
    12-05-05
    Location
    Handbasket, enroute to somewhere hot.
    Posts
    11,108
    Rep Power
    7439165
    Maybe he decided that there are some things he couldn't cope with while sober?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q


  3. #3
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar
    Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-16-06
    Location
    America, 2505 A.D.
    Posts
    2,840
    Rep Power
    3732206
    Maybe his horrible last name is what's driving him to drinking!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

  4. #4
    Buttercup's Avatar
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Join Date
    04-29-06
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    18,090
    Rep Power
    4309820
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Maybe his horrible last name is what's driving him to drinking!!!!
    I confess that after I read the last sentence in what I quoted I thought, "well I'm not surprised."




  5. #5
    GirlInBrown's Avatar
    GirlInBrown is offline If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong....
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    11-29-08
    Posts
    267
    Rep Power
    704433
    Don't know what the OWI law is down there, and without knowing all the details... but around here, he would probably get out of this charge based on just what is seen here..... Prove he was over the legal limit while operating the vehicle before the last consumption that was witnessed by the officer.....interesting to see how this turns out.
    " The warrior who honors the shield says, WHEN it happens, I will be ready...." Lt. Col. Grossman (Live... 9-11-07)

  6. #6
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar
    Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-16-06
    Location
    America, 2505 A.D.
    Posts
    2,840
    Rep Power
    3732206
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlInBrown View Post
    Don't know what the OWI law is down there, and without knowing all the details... but around here, he would probably get out of this charge based on just what is seen here..... Prove he was over the legal limit while operating the vehicle before the last consumption that was witnessed by the officer.....interesting to see how this turns out.
    I would think that the observed driving behavior, combined with the arresting officer's observations of MR. SEAMAN which resulted in the Officer deciding that the guy was drunk and field tests were necessary would probably be enough to sustain a conviction. However, a lot of that depends on the Officer's articulation. No huge difference here between this an a DUI/OWI refusal. In the end, you still don't have breath or blood results as evidence...just the Officer's observations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

  7. #7
    Captain America's Avatar
    Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Join Date
    05-01-08
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    8,627
    Rep Power
    6608676
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I would think that the observed driving behavior, combined with the arresting officer's observations of MR. SEAMAN which resulted in the Officer deciding that the guy was drunk and field tests were necessary would probably be enough to sustain a conviction. However, a lot of that depends on the Officer's articulation. No huge difference here between this an a DUI/OWI refusal. In the end, you still don't have breath or blood results as evidence...just the Officer's observations.

    I think what G.I.B. was saying is that the jackass's lawyer will argue that his poor client was not intoxicated while he was operating the vehicle and that he became so unnerved at being stopped by the mean ol' police ,what with all the unjustified police beating and taserings he sees in the mainstream media that he took a big swig of his priest's sacremental wine , which the priest left in his client's car after his client gave the priest a ride because the priest was walking in the rain, and the officer's observations after the swig don't count because his intoxication occurred after he was pulled over.
    Sounds just silly enough to work here.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

    "It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

    Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

    Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

  8. #8
    pgg's Avatar
    pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    06-16-08
    Location
    Fled the Emerald Triangle
    Posts
    10,991
    Rep Power
    3988409
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I think what G.I.B. was saying is that the jackass's lawyer will argue that his poor client was not intoxicated while he was operating the vehicle and that he became so unnerved at being stopped by the mean ol' police ,what with all the unjustified police beating and taserings he sees in the mainstream media that he took a big swig of his priest's sacremental wine , which the priest left in his client's car after his client gave the priest a ride because the priest was walking in the rain, and the officer's observations after the swig don't count because his intoxication occurred after he was pulled over.
    Sounds just silly enough to work here.
    Thats exactly what lawyers try to pull here
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

  9. #9
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar
    Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-16-06
    Location
    America, 2505 A.D.
    Posts
    2,840
    Rep Power
    3732206
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    and the officer's observations after the swig don't count because his intoxication occurred after he was pulled over.
    Sounds just silly enough to work here.
    that'd have to be a BIG ASS swig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

  10. #10
    GirlInBrown's Avatar
    GirlInBrown is offline If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong....
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    11-29-08
    Posts
    267
    Rep Power
    704433
    BL..
    I agree that if there is enough PC for the arrest prior to the "swigging" the the arrest is good...but Cpt America is right....it's the defense angle I was referring to, the guy drinking prior to any sobriety testing just puts some holes in the case. OWI cases are a huge headache...requires more paper than anything else..all because of defense attorneys, and finding loopholes.....
    " The warrior who honors the shield says, WHEN it happens, I will be ready...." Lt. Col. Grossman (Live... 9-11-07)

  11. #11
    ISPTI's Avatar
    ISPTI is offline S=3.86 x √(R x Fs)
    Verified LEO
    Join Date
    05-04-10
    Location
    The Field of Dreams
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    140944
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlInBrown View Post
    BL..
    I agree that if there is enough PC for the arrest prior to the "swigging" the the arrest is good...but Cpt America is right....it's the defense angle I was referring to, the guy drinking prior to any sobriety testing just puts some holes in the case. OWI cases are a huge headache...requires more paper than anything else..all because of defense attorneys, and finding loopholes.....
    You're right, OWI's have become entirely too complicated for their own good. It seems like lawyers put way more effort into a misdemeanor OWI that they do some felonys... It's annoying for something that should be relatively simple.

 

 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •