Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Cops: Man awaiting sobriety test takes last swig

BELLEVIEW, Fla. Authorities said a central Florida man took one last swig of alcohol while waiting to take a sobriety test. Marion County Sheriff's deputies stopped 61-year-old Dana Seaman after noticing his car swerve three times. Seaman said he'd been drinking and agreed to a sobriety test. But first, Deputy Eric Larson said he watched Seaman drink from a cup and toss it under the passenger seat. According to a police report, the cup smelled strongly of alcohol.

Seaman refused a breath test. He has been charged with DUI.

A message left for Seaman was not immediately returned Monday.

Cops: Man awaiting sobriety test takes last swig - Yahoo! News

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Maybe he decided that there are some things he couldn't cope with while sober?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    Maybe his horrible last name is what's driving him to drinking!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Maybe his horrible last name is what's driving him to drinking!!!!
    I confess that after I read the last sentence in what I quoted I thought, "well I'm not surprised."

GirlInBrown is offline If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong....
    Verified LEO
    Don't know what the OWI law is down there, and without knowing all the details... but around here, he would probably get out of this charge based on just what is seen here..... Prove he was over the legal limit while operating the vehicle before the last consumption that was witnessed by the officer.....interesting to see how this turns out.
    " The warrior who honors the shield says, WHEN it happens, I will be ready...." Lt. Col. Grossman (Live... 9-11-07)

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlInBrown View Post
    Don't know what the OWI law is down there, and without knowing all the details... but around here, he would probably get out of this charge based on just what is seen here..... Prove he was over the legal limit while operating the vehicle before the last consumption that was witnessed by the officer.....interesting to see how this turns out.
    I would think that the observed driving behavior, combined with the arresting officer's observations of MR. SEAMAN which resulted in the Officer deciding that the guy was drunk and field tests were necessary would probably be enough to sustain a conviction. However, a lot of that depends on the Officer's articulation. No huge difference here between this an a DUI/OWI refusal. In the end, you still don't have breath or blood results as evidence...just the Officer's observations.
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I would think that the observed driving behavior, combined with the arresting officer's observations of MR. SEAMAN which resulted in the Officer deciding that the guy was drunk and field tests were necessary would probably be enough to sustain a conviction. However, a lot of that depends on the Officer's articulation. No huge difference here between this an a DUI/OWI refusal. In the end, you still don't have breath or blood results as evidence...just the Officer's observations.

I think what G.I.B. was saying is that the jackass's lawyer will argue that his poor client was not intoxicated while he was operating the vehicle and that he became so unnerved at being stopped by the mean ol' police ,what with all the unjustified police beating and taserings he sees in the mainstream media that he took a big swig of his priest's sacremental wine , which the priest left in his client's car after his client gave the priest a ride because the priest was walking in the rain, and the officer's observations after the swig don't count because his intoxication occurred after he was pulled over.
    Sounds just silly enough to work here.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I think what G.I.B. was saying is that the jackass's lawyer will argue that his poor client was not intoxicated while he was operating the vehicle and that he became so unnerved at being stopped by the mean ol' police ,what with all the unjustified police beating and taserings he sees in the mainstream media that he took a big swig of his priest's sacremental wine , which the priest left in his client's car after his client gave the priest a ride because the priest was walking in the rain, and the officer's observations after the swig don't count because his intoxication occurred after he was pulled over.
    Thats exactly what lawyers try to pull here
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    and the officer's observations after the swig don't count because his intoxication occurred after he was pulled over.
    that'd have to be a BIG ASS swig!

GirlInBrown is offline If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong....
    Verified LEO
    BL..
    I agree that if there is enough PC for the arrest prior to the "swigging" the the arrest is good...but Cpt America is right....it's the defense angle I was referring to, the guy drinking prior to any sobriety testing just puts some holes in the case. OWI cases are a huge headache...requires more paper than anything else..all because of defense attorneys, and finding loopholes.....
    " The warrior who honors the shield says, WHEN it happens, I will be ready...." Lt. Col. Grossman (Live... 9-11-07)

ISPTI is offline S=3.86 x √(R x Fs)
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlInBrown View Post
    BL..
    I agree that if there is enough PC for the arrest prior to the "swigging" the the arrest is good...but Cpt America is right....it's the defense angle I was referring to, the guy drinking prior to any sobriety testing just puts some holes in the case. OWI cases are a huge headache...requires more paper than anything else..all because of defense attorneys, and finding loopholes.....
    You're right, OWI's have become entirely too complicated for their own good. It seems like lawyers put way more effort into a misdemeanor OWI that they do some felonys... It's annoying for something that should be relatively simple.

Thread Information