Welcome to the APBWeb.
    MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Some 9/11 families angry about plans for Ground Zero mosque

I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Wow. I don't blame them for being upset.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I would think all of the non-Muslim families would be upset - Like it or not, Islam and terrorism have a very tight link, and there's a reason for that.

The difference between Muslim and non-Muslim terrorists is that the non-Muslim terrorists generally don't kill in the name of Jesus or God, they do it for political reasons. The only exceptions to that I know of are the occasional nutbags and abortion bombers who will claim to do it in the name of God - But abortion bombing is against abortion, not to promote a religion - so it's really a political motive.

If I had a family member killed in 9/11, I have to tell you, the thought of burning the damn mosque down would cross my mind more than once.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    At best, it's tacky and insensitive. At worst it's a deliberate insult. I'm still waiting for their higher ups to decry terrorism in general as wrong, so far they've been curiously silent on that topic.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

ISPTI is offline S=3.86 x √(R x Fs)
    Verified LEO
    Who in their right mind would appove this? Oh wait, the people that make those decisions aren't in their right mind...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    The difference between Muslim and non-Muslim terrorists is that the non-Muslim terrorists generally don't kill in the name of Jesus or God, they do it for political reasons.
    That's a tad oversimplified.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    That's a tad oversimplified.
    Yeah, probably... I just heard an interview with an ex-skinhead last night on the radio - He was saying many murders committed by skinheads are driven by religious reasons, against gays and other races - But still I think they're just using religion to justify crimes they would probably commit against gays and minorities anyway.

On the other hand, it seems like the terrorists are out to cleanse the world of people who are not of their religion. It is intensified that they feel like their territory is being occupied, but according to them, what they consider "their territory" is based on their religious homelands as they existed centuries ago, which is virtually the whole mid-east.

There seems to be a difference to me - i don't think for a minute that Skinheads consider themselves to be "True Believers", but I think most Muslim terrorists definitely consider themselves to be "True Believers".

Maybe that's just the perception I have, but it seems pretty evident to me that there is a clear difference in the level of religious involvement with Islam vs the targeting of mass populations (versus the targeting of individuals for people claiming other religions as an excuse).

There's also a difference in that Islamic terrorists target people for their religion, whereas I'm not too sure Skinheads and other such terrorists really care about religion except for Jews - I'll never know what they have against Jews, except that they seem to pride themselves on emulating their idol, Adolph Hitler.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You are familiar with the 13 counties Irish Catholics have diffrences about with English Protestants, right?
    I'm your huckleberry...

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I understand why people may feel hurt by this, but I feel that their anger is misplaced. I remember shortly after 9-11 some people were dragging AMERICAN middle-eastern looking cab drivers out of taxis and beating them. People needed an outlet for their anger and it was the wrong way to do it. I have some muslim friends who fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. They should have a place to worship, just as I have mine. Our diversity is what makes America great, and puts us ahead of the close minded people who attacked us. We must fight our enemies and not each other.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I still don't quite know how I feel about this, but I'm okay with that since that is what critical thinking often is...evaluation of your true feelings on a matter. I'll admit that I was pretty fired up just from the headline. Then again, that's media sensationalism for you. When you read the article though, you find out that they're just converting an already-existing structure that just happens to be near the site. They aren't constructing the building literally on top of the twin towers site. Like Vengeance said, there are Muslims out there who fight for our country in Iraq and Afghanistan, and there were peaceable Muslims who died in the attacks.

Kind of playing Devil's Advocate here, but I see why some are mad.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Thread Information