Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Budget Cuts

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Budget Cuts

Sheriff: County wants savings equal to its 42 deputies - Ukiah Daily Journal

Sheriff: County wants savings equal to its 42 deputiesBy TIFFANY REVELLE The Daily Journal
    Updated: 05/14/2010 12:00:37 AM PDT

Sheriff Tom Allman plans to make his case to the Mendocino County Board of Supervisors that his department is badly underfunded.

County departments are being asked to cut 10 percent of their budgets in the 2010-11 fiscal year. Angelo said that's because there are fewer general fund dollars to go around, and "in most cases that's approximately 10 percent less" than the department heads have to work with now.

In the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office, the 10 percent cut would widen the office's budget gap to $4.5 million, according to MCSO Administrative Services Manager Norman Thurston.

"Any additional reduction in funding is going to cut law enforcement off at the knees," Allman said.

The office's $4.5 million shortfall is about the equivalent of what it costs annually to pay all of the department's 42 deputies, according to Thurston.

He said the county has underfunded the department for the past six years or more.

"There has been a question as to whether the sheriff has been underfunded or over budget," Angelo said. "But it's almost a moot point, because there are not enough general fund dollars to go around."

More at Link

This figure also includes all of their admin.

They have already cut most civilian staff. Most areas of the county don't have 24 hour coverage and at night their may only be 1 unit in the central part of the county on duty for coverage. They are now doubling up in cars to save fuel and mileage. Most generic calls are only answered via phone now also. They have already also layed off several deputies.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

ISPTI is offline S=3.86 x √(R x Fs)
    Verified LEO
    This is becoming all too common, all around the country. Often times I'm the only person out at night for 6+ counties. Some of those counties don't have 24hr coverage either...

I can't wait until this starts turning around and departments get more people out here on the road. Of course with the way the country's being run into the ground lately, who knows when that will happen!

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I can't help but wonder if this is state-wide, PGG. It would appear so.

Modesto PD is in a hiring freeze and has been for God knows how long. Stanislaus Co is looking at having to make budget cuts at the Sheriff's Dept to the tune of 52 positions.

Supposedly, the Stanislaus Co Sheriff is going to make it easier for it's residents to obtain CCW permits if they desire. Only time will tell if this is true or if this is just a publicity stunt to get our Sheriff re-elected. I sure hope it is true, but from what I have read in some of the news clips, it makes me wonder.

Stanislaus Co is a may issue county in case you were wondering.

Mendocino Co is a shall issue county if I am not mistaken.

Stanislaus supervisors agree to reduce library workers, deputies - Local - Modbee.com

Stanislaus County sheriff signs pledge to make gun permits easier - Crime & Courts - Modbee.com

Ex-Turlock cop denied concealed carry request despite previous attack - Turlock Recent News - Modbee.com

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The state of California is a "may issue" state. The Sheriff of Mendocino County treats his area as a "shall issue". This could change at anytime depending on the Sheriff.

We are looking at loosing 100% patrol staff from the Sheriff's Office as a worse case scenerio.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    We are looking at loosing 100% patrol staff from the Sheriff's Office as a worse case scenario.
    I sure hope it doesn't come down to that. Who then, do they expect to serve and protect the residents of Mendocino Co? Vigilante Justice?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    The state of California is a "may issue" state. The Sheriff of Mendocino County treats his area as a "shall issue". This could change at anytime depending on the Sheriff.
    The State of California should be a "shall issue" state. Of course you know the loony lib-tards in SF and LA will never let that happen. All the more reason to ship them off to Mexico and close the border off, IMO.

Not a LEO

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    I sure hope it doesn't come down to that. Who then, do they expect to serve and protect the residents of Mendocino Co? Vigilante Justice?
    CHP and area agencies would respond to emergencies only. In CA the Sheriff is only required to provide the Jail, Court Bailiffs, and in certain counties the coronor function.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    CHP and area agencies would respond to emergencies only. In CA the Sheriff is only required to provide the Jail, Court Bailiffs, and in certain counties the coroner function.
    I knew that. My bad. Aren't those agencies strapped enough as it is?

It just seems to me that there can never be too many LEO's in any given area.

I once saw an arrest of an individual at a Salida gas station near Hwy 99 recently. It was nice to see that CHP, Modesto PD and Stan. Co. Sheriff all there together helping each other out.

Not a LEO

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    A follow up article.

BREAKING NEWS: Allman informally asks CHP to take over if $4.5 million cut from budget - Ukiah Daily Journal

BREAKING NEWS: Allman informally asks CHP to take over if $4.5 million cut from budgetBy TIFFANY REVELLE The Daily Journal
    Updated: 05/25/2010 07:45:26 PM PDT

Click photo to enlargeSheriff Tom Allman addresses the Mendocino County Board of... (Sarah Baldik/The Daily Journal)«1»BREAKING NEWS: Allman informally asks CHP to take over if $4.5 million cut from budget

Mendocino County Sheriff Tom Allman said Tuesday he's informally asked the California Highway Patrol to take over law enforcement services in the county if he has to make a $4.5 million cut in his department.

The Board of Supervisors didn't act Tuesday on the budget update and pleas from department heads, but a list of 25 layoffs expected to go before the board June 8 will be based on the discussion, according to County CEO Carmel Angelo.

Angelo recommended the Board of Supervisors cut more than 10 percent from the sheriff's funding during a Tuesday budget workshop, bringing the county sheriff's allocation to $18.8 million in the 2010-11 fiscal year.

Angelo said she couldn't recommend Allman's request, calling the $4.5 million shortfall a "desired level of service," one she said was a 12 percent increase over last year's allocation and a 25 percent increase over her recommended budget.

Allman said the amount was the equivalent of most of his deputies' salaries, and the amount needed to maintain the current level of service.

"There's no question that's going to cut the 24-hour patrol in Ukiah Valley, which is the only place in the county where we have 24-hour law enforcement services," Allman said.

He said he would also lose resident deputies living in outlying areas of the county, and would have to "disassemble" the K-9 program.

More at link

We have also been asked to take over part of the county if this happens

Thread Information