Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Man acquitted in death of policeman

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) A Philadelphia man was found not guilty on Monday of murdering a policeman who died 41 years after the defendant shot him.
    The jury acquitted William Barnes after a week-long trial in which prosecutors tried to argue there was a chain of direct causation between his shooting of Walter Barclay in 1966 and Barclay's death from a urinary tract infection in 2007.
    Barnes, now 74, served 16 years in prison for attempted murder after the shooting.
    He shot Barclay during an attempted robbery, injuring his spine and leaving him needing to use a wheelchair.

Man acquitted in death of policeman - Yahoo! News

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Weather the Officer died in 1966 after being shot, or in 2007 from a urinary trac infection, William Barnes knew what he was doing when he pointed that gun at the police officer and fired. He MEANT to kill him, he just didnt succeed.....then. I feel he should be incarserated for the rest of his remaining years, and should have been from the begining.
    Last edited by rob84; 05-26-10 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    There were a number of factors on this one. From what I've read, the officer was not receiving the best care, possibly causing, or at least contributing to, UTI's, bed sores, etc. Enough for reasonable doubt.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    As much of a scumbag as this guy is, I don't like this sort of precedent. He already served a sentence for this crime, and I think it would be terribly difficult to establish direct causation so long after the fact. This pushes the double jeopardy thing to it's edge, and while the douchebag should have served way more than 16 years, this sort of prosecution is a waste of time and money. I don't see this sort of thing flying with any jury.
    Idiot

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    +1 SPD...

either hammer him when you first had him, or let it drop... don't come back and try to get him now because the officer died...

I'm not trying to sound callous, we're all going to die - Barclay went out because of the career that he chose, protecting what we all swore to protect - the fact that this turd bag is the cause is not disputed...

Barclay may would've had a long and prosperous career if this jackhole hadn't interfered with it... and that piece of shit should've never gotten out - period... and shame on the idiots who let him walk out of that cement and steel cell after he had the nuts to not only point a weapon, but fire a weapon at a sheepdog...

but don't try to come back and fix a mistake that you made years after the fact - We don't get that opportunity... if we screw the pooch, we have to catch the bad guy on another day doing another crime...
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SPD View Post
    As much of a scumbag as this guy is, I don't like this sort of precedent. He already served a sentence for this crime, and I think it would be terribly difficult to establish direct causation so long after the fact. This pushes the double jeopardy thing to it's edge, and while the douchebag should have served way more than 16 years, this sort of prosecution is a waste of time and money. I don't see this sort of thing flying with any jury.
    This.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information