Welcome to the APBWeb.
    ms1600 is offline Neither here nor there

Question for pilots...

I don't know anything about vertical/horizontal clearances for large jets. What are typical separation distances for large jets?

This article was in the news today:

Jetliners have close call at Anchorage airport
    Jetliners have close call at Anchorage airport: Aviation News | adn.com

Two jetliners crossed paths about a third of a mile from each other at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport last week and federal aviation authorities have launched a major investigation to find out why.

A US Airways A319 passenger jet, which was arriving at the airport, and a Cargolux 747, which was preparing to depart, were involved in the incident May 21, said Mike Fergus, spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.

"If you're talking about two transport-category aircraft coming within 100 feet of each other vertically and a third of a mile horizontally, that's pretty close," Johnson said.
    Verified Libra- There sure are a lot of people born in August around here.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes he gets you.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Damn right it's close!

Normal for in flight is stacked every 5000 feet and 15 miles all around.

Keep in mind that there are somewhere in the area of 1000 planes (or more) in the air over the US at any given time. Ideal seperation is almost impossible.

Landing clearances are shorter but 100 feet is a potential disaster due to the turbulence that heavies create at low altitude. This turbulance can destroy a light plane and cause serious damage or a crash to another heavy.

Somebody is due for an ass whuppin.....

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Damn right it's close!

Normal for in flight is stacked every 5000 feet and 15 miles all around.

Keep in mind that there are somewhere in the area of 1000 planes (or more) in the air over the US at any given time. Ideal seperation is almost impossible.

Landing clearances are shorter but 100 feet is a potential disaster due to the turbulence that heavies create at low altitude. This turbulance can destroy a light plane and cause serious damage or a crash to another heavy.

Somebody is due for an ass whuppin.....

Car 4
    Actually it used to be 2000ft, although if the plane is certified for RVSM (which commercial airliners are), it's down to 1000ft vertical separation. I'm trying to find horizontal separation.

As far as wake turbulence, that is what separation is for, and a small plane will never be close enough to a large plane for it to be a major concern. Back in the day it was however, until they learned about wake turbulence
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

SPD
    SPD is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I thought the scene from Top Gun was the norm - close enough to flip the guy in the plane next to you off.
    Idiot

Thread Information