Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Keep your booger hook off the bang swith damnitt!

From the Clayton News Daily:

A Clayton County Police officer reholstering his gun after a brief foot chase Sunday morning accidentally shot himself in the leg.

Officer Michael Hobbs, 36, shot himself in the right thigh after losing his balance stepping up onto a walkway behind a home on Shining Armor Court in Conley, said Clayton County Assistant Police Chief Jeff Turner. Hobbs and another officer had just chased a suspect believed to be stealing car rims behind the home. They were running with their weapons drawn, but lost him in the woods just before 5 a.m., Turner said.

The officers were walking back to the home when the gun went off.

“As he stumbled, he was at the same time putting his gun back into the holster,” Turner said.

Hobbs was treated and released from Southern Regional Medical Center. His injuries were “definitely non life-threatening,” Turner said.

The suspect, 18-year-old Curtis Jacobs, was found about an hour later by a K-9 unit hiding under a carport on Conley Road, Turner said. He was charged with theft by taking and obstruction.

Hobbs has been with the department about a year, Turner said

FishTail Guest
    What are the chances it was a GLOCK?

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTail

It was, a brand new M22.

FishTail Guest
    Oh, I know the one.

Retdetsgt is offline How did I get here!
    Verified LEO
    I think you still have to pull the trigger on a Glock for it to go off. I'm no expert on guns, but I know some people who are. They tell me that the Glock's design is such that it won't go off by itself even though some self inflicted shooters have tried to argue otherwise.

By the way, cops where accidently shooting themselves with revolvers back before Glocks were being sold over here. Dumb is as dumb does.
    When I used to be somebody (I'm center top)

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Retdetsgt
    I think you still have to pull the trigger on a Glock for it to go off. I'm no expert on guns, but I know some people who are. They tell me that the Glock's design is such that it won't go off by itself even though some self inflicted shooters have tried to argue otherwise.

By the way, cops where accidently shooting themselves with revolvers back before Glocks were being sold over here. Dumb is as dumb does.

Who said the gun went off by itself? The Officer obviously had his finger on the trigger when he reholstered.

Edited to add:::::::

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357
    Who said the gun went off by itself? The Officer obviously had his finger on the trigger when he reholstered.

Edited to add:::::::
    By the way Longtail asked if it was a Glock. I sorta inferred, possibly mistakenly that he might have thought it was the gun.

And as I recall, I was reading some article a year or two ago on a cop website about some cop who shot himself and blamed the Glock.

"A burning desire for social justice is never a substitute for knowing what you're talking about". -Thomas Sowell-

FishTail Guest
    By the way Longtail asked if it was a Glock. I sorta inferred, possibly mistakenly that he might have thought it was the gun.
    Oh, no, I'm not blaming the gun. I have a G22 myself. My line of thought is simply that if one trips, a gun with no external safety seems easier to discharge than one with an external safety.

Verified LEO
    Oh, no, I'm not blaming the gun. I have a G22 myself. My line of thought is simply that if one trips, a gun with no external safety seems easier to discharge than one with an external safety.
    One of the gun nuts, uh enthusiasts would have to answer that. But I believe I was taught that Glocks have some internal safeguards against that.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    One of the gun nuts, uh enthusiasts would have to answer that. But I believe I was taught that Glocks have some internal safeguards against that.
    Pull trigger gun goes bang.

cntryboy0531 is offline THE five-oh
    Verified LEO
    *sigh* Shouldn't have your finger on the trigger while reholstering.

jmur5074 is online now Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Glocks have an internal safety, trigger safety, and a safety on the backstrap.

BUT, as long as the trigger and backstrap safety are depressed, the internal safety will not work.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

BEK
    BEK is offline Lieutenant
    Verified LEO
    I shot glocks in the acadamy and they were the worst guns ever, EVER. I saw someone load the mag, pull the slide back and released and the gun went BANG. their finger was well outside the guard. It was a bad gun, the instructor had to take it away in shame after two days prior he stated that glocks were gods gift to cops.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jmur5074
    Glocks have an internal safety, trigger safety, and a safety on the backstrap.

BUT, as long as the trigger and backstrap safety are depressed, the internal safety will not work.
    No backstrap safety on a Glock.

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK320
    I shot glocks in the acadamy and they were the worst guns ever, EVER. I saw someone load the mag, pull the slide back and released and the gun went BANG. their finger was well outside the guard. It was a bad gun, the instructor had to take it away in shame after two days prior he stated that glocks were gods gift to cops.
    Was it a new gun? Any worn out gun will malfunction. Personally I'm a Walther fan myself, but they are a bit more pricey then the glock.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    What Norm said... But you can throw a Glock off a 5-story building and it won't go bang due to the firing pin block and the trigger safety, and it's only half-cocked.

My HS2000 / XD, it has the same safeties a Glock, plus a palm safety so you also have to grip it for it to go off. However, it stays fully cocked.

Well, at least this guy had an excuse, unlike the DEA agent

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by BEK320
    I saw someone load the mag, pull the slide back and released and the gun went BANG. their finger was well outside the guard.
    Most any semi-auto will have a slam-fire if the firing pin sticks in the extended position after the last round was fired, but of course there could be other reasons. I've heard it's not too pleasant if the round goes off before lock-up.

That's why I point mine at the dog that messes on the carpet, when I'm cocking mine

not really
    Last edited by TXCharlie; 04-18-06 at 10:53 PM.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

jmur5074 is online now Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357
    No backstrap safety on a Glock.

Thanks. I had a brain fart.
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Thread Information