Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Woman sues Google over Utah walking directions

SALT LAKE CITY Ė A pedestrian injured by a motorist while following an online route has filed a lawsuit claiming Google Inc. supplied unsafe directions.

Lauren Rosenberg filed a lawsuit on Thursday seeking more than $100,000 in U.S. District Court in Utah. It also named a motorist she says hit her.

Rosenberg used her phone in January to download directions from one end of Park City to the other.

Google Maps led her to a four-lane boulevard without sidewalks that was "not reasonably safe for pedestrians," according to the lawsuit filed by the Northridge, Calif., resident.

The case has become a sensation on tech blogs, websites and cable television channels, with critics assailing the woman for ignoring her own safety to blindly follow online directions. Her lawyer, Allen Young, said the truth was different.

Rosenberg believed she could reach a sidewalk on the other side of Deer Valley Drive and tried to cross the boulevard, but didn't even make it to the median, he said.
    She was struck by a speeding car on a pitch-black night and received multiple bone fractures that required six weeks of rehabilitation, Young added.

Woman sues Google over Utah walking directions - Yahoo! News

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    In other words she's suing because she doesn't want to take responsibility for jay-walking at night on a dark street... THIS is an example of why we need tort reform.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I actually know the area this happened quite well. There are a ton of streets within view of where she was. She's a complete dumbass for thinking she should walk on that road.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Stupid money hungry grabbing SoCal liberals and ambulance chasing lawyers. Northridge is in SoCal, BTW. I am surprised that she is not suing Park City for the intersection not being lit or not having sidewalks. They would probably pay, too. Park City, UT is home to some of the most prime skiing areas in the state. It's where a lot of the venues for the Winter Olympics were held.

Park City is also where Hollywood goes to ski. Full of liberals there.

She is unemployed and can afford to go to Park City? Something doesn't add up here. Either she is on Welfare or has a sugar-daddy or something of the like.

Seems to me if I was walking around on a pitch black dark night that I would be carrying a flashlight and dressing in light colored or reflective clothing so I would be visible to oncoming traffic. But then again some of the people in SoCal aren't that smart and want things handed to them on a silver platter. Grrrr!!! Next time take a bus. It's safer.

She needs to get a life and a job if you ask me.

California woman sues Google Maps over Park City walking directions | Deseret News

Comments on the article.

She should sue her parents for the cells needed to create her brain, which led her to walk on a highway without a sidewalk, and apparently didn't give her the brainpower to make her own decisions.
    Was she staring at her phone instead of looking at her surroundings? Did she not understand that "walking" is not a fail-safe mode of getting anywhere? Was she walking in the middle of the road (walking route) or on the shoulder?

She should also sue her "guardian angel" for allowing the car to hit her.

Maybe the driver that hit her was busy programming his GPS at the time of the accident....
    Hmmm, I did not know this. More facts to show her stupidity.

Oh, please.

When an user inputs the coordinates for his or her route and chooses walking directions on Google Maps a message pops up that says: "Walking directions are in beta. Use caution ó This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths."

She was warned when she got the directions, just as I am when I choose to use this service.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    CTR you shouldn't bottle things up. Let it out and tell us what you really think.

I'll add that you are right about PC. The realestate there is insane with a $5 mil house being poor. Despite an incredible tax base with tons of money going to the city, they pay their cops nothing. I went on a ride along there considering relocation a few years ago. They paid so little, the cop I rode with lived in government assisted housing. He said that was common.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    CTR you shouldn't bottle things up. Let it out and tell us what you really think.

I'll add that you are right about PC. The real-estate there is insane with a $5 mil house being poor. Despite an incredible tax base with tons of money going to the city, they pay their cops nothing. I went on a ride along there considering relocation a few years ago. They paid so little, the cop I rode with lived in government assisted housing. He said that was common.
    I do tend to ramble on when I get rattled, Don't I?

Might as well live in some areas of SoCal like Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Palm Springs or off of Mulholland Drive for those prices. Doesn't appear like they care too much about their LE.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Northridge, Calif., resident.
    No further information needed about her
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

ďA fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.Ē Sigmund Freud

4 Turns is offline Rookie
    Another nail in the coffin of personal responsibility.

If only google had the ability to give people like this a brain as well.
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Thread Information