Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Update: Nidal Malik Hasan

Army Times Mobile

Hood suspect quiet in first court appearance

BY ANGELA K. BROWN - THE ASSOCIATED PRESS | POSTED : TUESDAY JUN 1, 2010 18:35:25 EDT

FORT HOOD, Texas — Wearing his Army uniform and sitting solemnly in a wheelchair, the psychiatrist accused of gunning down 13 people at Fort Hood made his first court room appearance Tuesday where his attorneys won a delay in his case.

The Article 32 hearing, which is similar to a civilian grand jury proceeding in which a judge hears witness testimony to determine whether the case should go to trial, is set for Oct. 4.

Before Tuesday’s one-hour hearing, Hasan was flanked by military police as he rolled his wheelchair into the courtroom and up to the defense table. Hasan, who was paralyzed after being shot by military police the day of the shootings, answered “yes, sir” or “I understand, sir” when asked if he understood his rights, if he had read the charges against him and if he knew his right to a speedy trial.

He is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder in the worst shooting on a U.S. military post.

Col. Michael Mulligan, the lead prosecutor, objected to the delay and said prosecutors would be ready to proceed in July.

Col. James L. Pohl, a military judge who is acting as the investigating officer in the Fort Hood shooting case, said that during the Article 32 hearing, he planned to call the 32 injured victims as witnesses. He also said authorities had not decided whether to seek the death penalty.

If convicted, Hasan could be sentenced to death only if the military jurors determine there is an aggravating factor, according to military law. Last month, prosecutors sent a notice to defense attorney John Galligan listing one aggravating factor in the case: that more than one person was killed in the same incident.

Experts have said prosecutors would not send such a notice unless they planned to seek the death penalty.

--------------------

Not sure if he deserves to sit there in military uniform, even if it might be required.

I sure hope they don't take too long in deciding whether or not he gets the death penalty, for he certainly deserves that IMO.

If he gets the DP, would he still be going to Ft Leavenworth? Hopefully it will be swift. Maybe they should put him in a Texas prison. They don't mess around when it comes to the DP.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO
    Would it fall under religious discrimination if they could prove he did it because of the muslim faith? I would think that would also be an "aggravating factor.

Off topic, when I type in muslim, I get the misspelled line underneath it. It's because I didn't make the M uppercase. However, if I type baptist or catholic no line.

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    He aggravated me, I think he should get the death penalty with in 15 minutes of sentencing.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    Would it fall under religious discrimination if they could prove he did it because of the muslim faith? I would think that would also be an "aggravating factor.
    I would tend to think so. Or would it be his interpretation of the muslim faith?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    Off topic, when I type in muslim, I get the misspelled line underneath it. It's because I didn't make the M uppercase. However, if I type baptist or catholic no line.
    Hmmm, now you have me wondering. I tried a bunch of other christian denominations and every single one of them begged to be capitalized except for baptist, catholic and episcopalian. Any English majors here?

baptist catholic episcopalian mormon lutheran methodist adventist ( I left out JW intentionally because I can answer that. Jehovah is a proper name.)

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Thread Information