Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired

Thumbs down BREAKING NEWS: Open Carry in CA

The latest on California politics and government

June 1, 2010

Assembly passes ban on carrying unloaded handguns in public
    Legislation to outlaw the carrying of unloaded handguns in public was passed Tuesday by the Assembly.

The measure, Assembly Bill 1934, received the bare-minimum number of votes necessary, passing 41-25, with Republicans opposed.

The bill was crafted in response to a protest movement, "Open Carry," in which activists wield unloaded guns in public places to publicize opposition to gun-control laws as well as difficulties in obtaining concealed-weapons permits.

Supporters of AB 1934 said that current law places police in an untenable position, responding to reports of gun-wielding pedestrians but unable legally to demand that such protesters show identification or proof that their weapon is registered.

Opponents countered that AB 1934 would infringe on Californians' right to bear arms and to protest peacefully in whatever manner they choose.

State law bans the carrying of loaded firearms in public, but not unloaded weapons.

AB 1934 would make it a misdemeanor, punishable by up to six months in jail, to carry an exposed, unloaded gun in a public place or on a public street inside a city or in prohibited unincorporated areas of a county.

The bill contains numerous exceptions, including display of a firearm by a peace officer, authorized military organization, firearm dealer, or by a licensed hunter while engaged in that sport.

AB 1934 now goes to the Senate.
    Read more: Capitol Alert: Assembly passes ban on carrying unloaded handguns in public
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm disappointed but not surprised in this god forsaken state.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Really, who's surprised? What surprised me was that it was legal there in the first place. I'm shocked this law isn't already 40 years old.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    While Im against gun control laws like this, who would carry an unloaded gun in the open?
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    While Im against gun control laws like this, who would carry an unloaded gun in the open?
    It was a loophole that was exploited to demonstrate against government intrusion and gun control.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

PapaBear is offline SgtCHP-Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Really, who's surprised? What surprised me was that it was legal there in the first place. I'm shocked this law isn't already 40 years old.
    It would have been but the narrow minded politicians of CA could not foresee the Open Carry movement who have taken it upon themselves to conduct idiotic demonstrations to prove a point. The problem is that the point was overcome by this inane legislative action.

Leave it to a few to foul it up for the many.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
    [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't think the few fouled it up for the many, I think the government slapped back at those insolent serfs...

How dare they challenge the King.

The Militia Laws should be repealed and none suffered to be re-enacted & the Arms of all the People should be taken away, & every piece of Ordnance removed into the Governor's Stores, nor should any Foundry or manufacture of Arms, Gun-powder, or Warlike Stores, be ever suffered in California, nor should any Gunpowder, Lead, Arms or Ordnance be imported into it without License; they will have but little need of such things for the future, as the California Highway Patrol will be sufficient to protect them from danger.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information