Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Standard Dave is offline Constable

Man 'banned' from using the NHS

BBC News - Man 'banned' from using the NHS

A homeless man who became an expert at faking illness so he could stay in hospital has been given a criminal Asbo.
    Counter-fraud experts say the fraud has cost the NHS tens of thousands of pounds.
    Christopher Dearlove, 41, used more than 70 aliases to trick NHS staff into admitting him to hospital.
    A judge at Bolton crown court has now banned Dearlove from using the NHS unless he is genuinely ill.
    He knew which symptoms to report - and how to be classed as highly infectious so he could get his own room.
    Dearlove targeted hospitals all over the UK in a deception which is thought to have begun 15 years ago.
    Staff in Glasgow, Cambridge, south London, Rochdale and Grimsby were among those he tricked, to get accommodation and food.
    Each time Dearlove was admitted to hospital, it cost an NHS trust between 400 and 1,000.
    He often claimed to be a haemophiliac with Aids, and would feign chest pain, night sweats and weight loss.
    But when blood tests and X-rays showed there was no cause for concern, staff began to realise he was a so-called "hospital hopper".
    Officers at the NHS and Counter Fraud and Security Management Service (NHS CFSMS) issued all hospitals with CCTV pictures of Dearlove and a description of his distinctive tattoos, to help catch him.
    The service's head, Richard Hampton, said: "The criminal Asbo is to prevent further unnecessary financial losses, and risks to the NHS and its patients."
    If Dearlove breaks the terms of his restrictions, he will be jailed for up to five years.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Shiiiiiit. We have that here all over. People report that they are suicidal and the cops give them a ride to the hospital. They are then given a bed, food, and drinks. Except here it's the hospital that takes the hit, not the government so the courts don't care.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It will be a brave casualty department that turns him away.

As they board every one who complains of neck pain after the smallest of vehicle contacts(and we end up closing the road or several lanes for an hour so the squirters can take off the roo)f I somehow doubt they will refuse him treatment, just in case.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Standard Dave is offline Constable
    I think it's most likely that when it turns out he's not ill confirmed by tests etc they will have him nicked rather than just turfing him out.
    "all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke.
    "the world is a dangerous place place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it" Albert Einstein

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard Dave View Post
    I think it's most likely that when it turns out he's not ill confirmed by tests etc they will have him nicked rather than just turfing him out.

Damn foreigners !! Why don't you learn to speak English ???
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It's Ok I'm bilingual.

"nicked" = arrested

"Turfed out" = thrown out

Y'all go about your bizness
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Tango Zulu 22 is offline Duncopperin!
    Verified LEO
    It's Ok I'm bilingual
    'Salright, I've got some cream I can flog you to sort that out.....
    A common mistake made when trying to come up with a totally foolproof design is to completely underestimate the innate ingenuity of fools.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you but it's still there on my list of options, so are you coming quietly.........?

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango Zulu 22 View Post
    'Salright, I've got some cream I can flog you to sort that out.....
    It was the lingual that did it sarge. or was it lingus!
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

incustody1015 is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    Down here in good ole South Florida.. If a homeless person, or should I say "residentially challenged" to be P/C, stubbs their toe and wishes to go the hospital then by ALL MEANS they get the trip to the hospital and a meal. In the long run, the county takes the hit with footing the bill...
    INCUSTODY1015

"You know what makes me sad.... YOU DO!!! MAYBE WE SHOULD CHUG ON OVER TO MAMBE PAMBE LAND WHERE MAYBE WE COULD FIND SOME SELF-CONFIDENCE FOR YOU, YOU JACK WAGON" R. Lee Ermy (geico commercial)

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    It's Ok I'm bilingual.

"nicked" = arrested

Looks like you're trilingual....

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    It's Ok I'm bilingual.

"nicked" = arrested

Thanks for the translation , pal.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Napalm is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    If they jail him for five years, he will have a place to stay!! A win for all!!
    Wiping the turds of humanity from the ass of society from 1600 to midnight.

Thread Information