Welcome to the APBWeb.
    bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Police Lose Web Site

Speed camera foe buys Tenn. city's police website
    Email this Story

Jun 7, 3:28 PM (ET)

p {margin:12px 0px 0px 0px;}

BLUFF CITY, Tenn. (AP) - After a Tennessee police department let its website expire, the site was snatched up by a new owner - a man who uses it to gripe about traffic cameras that issue speeding tickets.
    Computer network designer Brian McCrary says he discovered the Bluff City Police Department site was up for grabs, so he paid domain provider Go Daddy for the rights to .http://www.bluffcitypd.com
    McCrary, who says he received a $90 speeding citation earlier this year, took over the site May 22.
    His site now shows a smiling cartoon police badge clutching green currency. It also posts gripes from others who've been cited.
    Police Chief David Nelson said the officer who managed the site had been on medical leave and the expiration slipped up on the department.
    --- Information from: Bristol Herald Courier, http://www.bristolnews.com

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Good for him. Camera enforcement is a complete joke.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Slightly disagree.
    If you're speeding then you are breaking the law.
    I like many other officers enforce this law by also giving people fines and points on their licences. It's just a diffrent medium. I wouldn't like it if I got a ticket from one but I would accept my fault. I would only have myself to blame. I would be something of a hypocrite to blame someone else.

The main difference with the camera is that it has no discretion. Does not have the ability to verify and check a drivers ID, can't check if the car is legitimate, insured etc. So only those who register their vehs properly get caught out and only UK vehicles not foriegn.

The other issue is if it is set at a very low speed tolerance. Some here are sending out penalties at 2/3 mph over the limit, that's just ridiculous. The other issue is that here camera enforcement is associated with the police when in reality we have nothing to do with it except in name.

The intention of cameras was at first honourable, to reduce collisions at black spots. As experienced officers we were consulted on where they should be when they first went up. That doesn't happen now.

I would rather see more officers out there enforcing the law but it has now all become about the money and I think that is where most people feel the problem is. We are suspicious of the intentions for where these things are positioned and the degree to which they are seen as a glorified money spinners.
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

dadyswat is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    This actually kind of funny.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    Slightly disagree.
    If you're speeding then you are breaking the law.
    I like many other officers enforce this law by also giving people fines and points on their licences. It's just a diffrent medium. I wouldn't like it if I got a ticket from one but I would accept my fault. I would only have myself to blame. I would be something of a hypocrite to blame someone else.

The main difference with the camera is that it has no discretion. Does not have the ability to verify and check a drivers ID, can't check if the car is legitimate, insured etc. So only those who register their vehs properly get caught out and only UK vehicles not foriegn.

The other issue is if it is set at a very low speed tolerance. Some here are sending out penalties at 2/3 mph over the limit, that's just ridiculous. The other issue is that here camera enforcement is associated with the police when in reality we have nothing to do with it except in name.

The intention of cameras was at first honourable, to reduce collisions at black spots. As experienced officers we were consulted on where they should be when they first went up. That doesn't happen now.

I would rather see more officers out there enforcing the law but it has now all become about the money and I think that is where most people feel the problem is. We are suspicious of the intentions for where these things are positioned and the degree to which they are seen as a glorified money spinners.

I think we can all agree with the notion that breaking the law is breaking the law. I don't know how the system works in the UK, but here in the US, you'll find a lot of us that don't appreciate the red light or speed cameras. In nearly 100% of cases, they are NOT even run by the City. They are leased and operated through private companies, who take a chunk of the revenue generated. So, it's in those companies' best interest to get those cameras up in as many intersections as possible, NOT just in the ones where they think they can lower traffic crashes. Incidentally, I don't have the exact stats on this, but there have been studies that show that the cameras may reduce speeding or red light running, but the number of rear-end and other abrupt stopping-related collisions actually INCREASES.

This is all in addition to the fact that cities can and will use the cameras as an excuse to cut budgets within PD staffs. The bottom line is that these cameras directly affect the number of SWORN PERSONNEL who are employed to do the cameras' job. Either way you slice it, the job of traffic enforcement should be left to a real live human being, ya know?
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Thanks 121. Being able to face your accuser is also a big deal with me.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I also think this story is funny
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Thanks 121. Being able to face your accuser is also a big deal with me.
    Its not a done deal with your ticket here. You can plead not guilty and go to court or try to appeal it before that.

You'll like this figure.260 fixed camera sites in my county. Then you have the mobile camera vans.
    However there may be alot of sites but there are only about 10 actual cameras that are swapped around.
    It's the vans you have to look out for though. I was expecting a present fro the postman the other week after rounding a bend to see one of the dreaded "Talivan" mobile units. however I was obviously being a good boy or the operator was having a nap as nothing came.The pain in the arse for us as police officers is that we get paper evn if we are in a marked vehicle responding to something.
    They are always binned after exemption claimed but its just another pain in the arse admin task.

I do however rather like the idea of getting hold of the police website domain for whatever reason. Oh the fun that could be had.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Its not a done deal with your ticket here. You can plead not guilty and go to court or try to appeal it before that.
    See that's the problem. What Five-0's referring to is the defendant's right to cross-examine the witnesses against him in open court. That right is enumerated in our Sixth Amendment, and it is a sacred one. Most of these tickets are administrative in nature anyway, and aren't criminal. In some places, because they are administrative or are assessed by a private company, there is no hearing or court. You pay, or you are hounded by creditors and debt collectors. if you are somewhere that has hearings for these things, who do you cross-examine? The camera-operator that checks the footage after the fact?
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Not to mention that with the administrative nature, read civil court, the plantiff is not held to the beyond a resonable doubt standard. Just a preponderance of the evidence.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    It goes to same court as any traffic offence here, that is to say a court judged to criminal standard. Beyond reasonable doubt.

I can see why people would have problems with enforcement by ways you have mentioned. Not quite come to that yet. But we are bankrupt as a nation.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    But we are bankrupt as a nation.
    We're headed that way , so I see this type of enforcement becoming even more popular. You don't have to pay pension and other benefits to a camera.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I read an article recently about a city short cycling lights and timing on the cameras to encourage violations and increase revenue.

The cameras are not about traffic safety, they are about generating revenue.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The right to face your accuser.

The fact that the goal is revenue.

The fact that it causes more accidents than it prevents.

No sale with me.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information